Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Considering boxes have sold a few times at near-$500, $404 isn't ridiculous with the market. There's just no chance most of us are willing to do even half that.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Considering boxes have sold a few times at near-$500, $404 isn't ridiculous with the market. There's just no chance most of us are willing to do even half that.

It would be a fun break though, if we could get say 10-15 people to go in for slots. I don't think there's a ton of player collector overlap here and then we could assign random players to the slots. I'm sure someone who does a lot of breaks could figure it out and it would be overly expensive.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
This post is a couple weeks after the fact (my cpu went down), but I had to share some amazing tek movement now that I'm back online.

We all know [MENTION=8009]rinkrat38[/MENTION] is one of the biggest tek guys around, he needs no intro. We have been going back and forth for years about tek cards and for God knows how long both of us were one card away from finishing the McGwire pre-production run. For those that don't know there are 3 players that have blue pre-production cards. There are 30 of each (skip numbered to 90). I have never seen a single complete set of any of the three players. On top of these there are the gold pre-productions which have an unknown production run to them but are even more rare than the blue counterparts (which are extremely hard to find as well).

Well Rich finally found the pattern he needed (p89) and sent me a PM about how excited he was, then a couple minutes later after doing inventory realized that he was missing p2 still because he had the gold, not the blue. I intermediately put my p2 in the mail and sent it to him so he could finish the set because how cool is that, that he finished the run right?

About a half day later he messages me again and says he found the p2 and once he received the p89 in the mail, he would have the set.

Well off went my p2, and of course when Rich got it, he not only sent it back, he did something ridiculous...

He gave me both of his gold pre-prodcution copies of McGwire along with it putting me only 8 away from completing that set...

Are you kidding me?

Rich you are awesome, again, I cannot thank you enough.

Also congratulations on being the first person I know of to complete that virtually impossible run!!

f-6443.jpg
f-6448.jpg

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Thank you to [MENTION=1983]onionring9[/MENTION] for the nice words and for the support over the last few years trying to complete this all but unknown 1998 Tek pre-production set. The clammy hands part of this was that I found the p. 89 McGwire pre-production on a COMC consignment. As usual they took their time mailing it. The package left Washington State and took a tour of most of the American League cities. Never seen so many stops on a USPS tracking sheet. After a couple of weeks of it being stuck in Dallas, I all but gave up on it. Finally got it a bit more than a month after it was first mailed. No damage, and a clearly typed accurate label. Go figure! Main thing is I got it! Still need one more Roger Clemens pattern for that set of 30 cards, pattern 6, and two more Raul Mondesi patterns, 28 and 49. I do have those two Mondesi patterns in gold but would like to get the blue variations.

Rich

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Awesome. That is massive.

Thank you to [MENTION=1983]onionring9[/MENTION] for the nice words and for the support over the last few years trying to complete this all but unknown 1998 Tek pre-production set. The clammy hands part of this was that I found the p. 89 McGwire pre-production on a COMC consignment. As usual they took their time mailing it. The package left Washington State and took a tour of most of the American League cities. Never seen so many stops on a USPS tracking sheet. After a couple of weeks of it being stuck in Dallas, I all but gave up on it. Finally got it a bit more than a month after it was first mailed. No damage, and a clearly typed accurate label. Go figure! Main thing is I got it! Still need one more Roger Clemens pattern for that set of 30 cards, pattern 6, and two more Raul Mondesi patterns, 28 and 49. I do have those two Mondesi patterns in gold but would like to get the blue variations.

Rich

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Rich

I can't wait to see the whole 90 card set together. That will be amazing when that is done.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Finally grabbed another off my list. Been a long time! Down to 9:
1998 Gwynn Tek Needs
4, 30, 56, 62, 65, 68, 69, 75, 84

Extras: 6, 11, 11, 13, 16, 17, 19, 22, 24, 44, 44, 48, 58, 80, 87

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Finally grabbed another off my list. Been a long time! Down to 9:
1998 Gwynn Tek Needs
4, 30, 56, 62, 65, 68, 69, 75, 84

Extras: 6, 11, 11, 13, 16, 17, 19, 22, 24, 44, 44, 48, 58, 80, 87

Congrats on getting down to 9! Now that you have patterns 1, 23, and 90 it should be a breeze.;) Good luck.

Members online

Latest posts