Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Can you confirm that the #99 Juan Gonzalez FPP was made... I know several claim they have one but no one has every shown it? I’d be very interested in one if anyone has one that they’d part with...

Kevin

Two different collectors have confirmed the existence of all 100 cards in the set. While I do not have a picture of a Juan, I trust these two

Dec 4, 2008
I was under bidder on McGriff diamond destiny, glad it was you that landed it! Only 60% or so complete on my gold set so not in a rush to get it finished. My best guess is 100 or so of each Gold are out there. Although I have 7 Tony Gwynn golds which is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dec 4, 2008
I was under bidder on McGriff diamond destiny, glad it was you that landed it! Only 60% or so complete on my gold set so not in a rush to get it finished. My best guess is 100 or so of each Gold are out there. Although I have 7 Tony Gwynn golds which is weird.

And FWIW I have no empirical basis for the 100 estimate. Just like you - I have been looking for many years and never see them. Further challenge was the distribution method. I was a teenage kid in 1996 and bought tons of these Upper Deck Tech packs in midwestern Wal-Marts. So many of these were opened by novice retail collectors 20 years ago. Scattered to the wind at this point. So even if 200 or 300 were printed only a fraction likely remain.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I always hate to see I outbid a forum member. I just got the silver one recently as well. There is one on COMC I believe but I just thought it was too high. I will keep you in mind should I see one pop up.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
For my buddy [MENTION=4735]nosterbor[/MENTION] who is always complaining about no Juan Gones in my box breaks
Here ya go-- from ones I did a while ago = a coupla refractors for ya
( also see the slab post I do for slabbed Juans I just got back from PSA)

attachment.php

attachment.php

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

And FWIW I have no empirical basis for the 100 estimate. Just like you - I have been looking for many years and never see them. Further challenge was the distribution method. I was a teenage kid in 1996 and bought tons of these Upper Deck Tech packs in midwestern Wal-Marts. So many of these were opened by novice retail collectors 20 years ago. Scattered to the wind at this point. So even if 200 or 300 were printed only a fraction likely remain.

The McGwire crew came up with the same number years ago. We also noticed many people thought their gold was bronze, and oftentimes the gold scans look bronze as well which makes them even harder to come by.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Anyone help me out? I thought the bankruptcy versions were consistent with those known to be released in the never was 1998 Pinnacle Certified. So, what in the heck are these? The numbering is consistent with the All-Star version (E24), but these are definitely not that.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
This one landed today. Not sure how many where made but I've only noticed two of them in my searching.

View attachment 81919View attachment 81918

Tough tough cards. I have one Ozzie still. I had 2 for a long time and sent the other off to another Ozzie collector friend over a decade ago. I've only seen one other offered for sale in all that time. There might be 100. There might be 50. I don't know. I just know they never show up.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Anyone help me out? I thought the bankruptcy versions were consistent with those known to be released in the never was 1998 Pinnacle Certified. So, what in the heck are these? The numbering is consistent with the All-Star version (E24), but these are definitely not that.

Whoa. Major whoa. These Nomo Epix Season cards were never released and never on the original checklist - this is an incredible find and I've never seen a non-All-Star Epix Nomo.

In the main Epix set (Play, Game, Season, Moment - released in Pinnacle, Score, and Zenith packs), card #E24 was supposed to beEddie Murray
In the All-Star Epix set (released in Score R/T and Pinnacle Plus packs), card #E24 was Nomo.

The All-Star Epix set was released in products that came out in late summer of '98 (i.e., after Pinnacle, Score, and Zenith) and they must have updated the checklist by replacing Murray with Nomo - the only difference between the main Epix set and the All-Star Epix set was the inclusion of Nomo/removal of Murray.

Thus, according to the official checklists, Nomo never should have had an Epix Play, Game, Season, or Moment. Given that his Epix Season do indeed exist, I imagine a Play, Game, and Moment Nomo also exists. These Nomo Epix cards were included in the Pinnacle Bankruptcy Find of October 2017 - the intrigue of the DLP bankruptcy continues to grow!

EDITED: edits in italics based on new information

Last edited:

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Whoa. Major whoa. These Nomo Epix Season cards were never released and never on the original checklist - this is an incredible find and I've never seen a non-All-Star Epix Nomo.

In the main Epix set (Play, Game, Season, Moment - released in Pinnacle, Score, and Zenith packs), card #E24 was Eddie Murray
In the All-Star Epix set (released in Score R/T and Pinnacle Plus packs), card #E24 was Nomo.

The All-Star Epix set was released in products that came out in late summer of '98 (i.e., after Pinnacle, Score, and Zenith) and they must have updated the checklist by replacing Murray with Nomo - the only difference between the main Epix set and the All-Star Epix set was the inclusion of Nomo/removal of Murray.

Thus, according to the official checklists, Nomo never should have had an Epix Play, Game, Season, or Moment. Given that his Epix Season do indeed exist, I imagine a Play, Game, and Moment Nomo also exists. These Nomo Epix cards were not even included in the Pinnacle Bankruptcy Find of October 2017 - the intrigue of the DLP bankruptcy continues to grow!

Soon we will all find out that they produced 5,000 sets of 1998 Select.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Given that his Epix Season do indeed exist, I imagine a Play, Game, and Moment Nomo also exists. These Nomo Epix cards were not even included in the Pinnacle Bankruptcy Find of October 2017 - the intrigue of the DLP bankruptcy continues to grow!

I've been thinking this through and I'd wager that ONLY a season version of Nomo exists. The Play, Game and Moment Eddie Murray were in regularly released packs. The Murray Season was slated for Pinnacle Certified - #E24. Based on the timeline of releases, the All-Star version of E24 was subbed from Murray to Nomo which would've lined up with the Certified release of E24 (Season). Unless we've seen a Murray Season among the bankruptcy releases, I'd say that Murray does not exist and Nomo was slated for Pinnacle Certified instead.

Dec 4, 2008
I've been thinking this through and I'd wager that ONLY a season version of Nomo exists. The Play, Game and Moment Eddie Murray were in regularly released packs. The Murray Season was slated for Pinnacle Certified - #E24. Based on the timeline of releases, the All-Star version of E24 was subbed from Murray to Nomo which would've lined up with the Certified release of E24 (Season). Unless we've seen a Murray Season among the bankruptcy releases, I'd say that Murray does not exist and Nomo was slated for Pinnacle Certified instead.

Killer find. Nomo mania guys and girls will pay big for those.

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
These Nomo Epix cards were not even included in the Pinnacle Bankruptcy Find of October 2017 - the intrigue of the DLP bankruptcy continues to grow!

I've seen some of the Pinnacle Bankruptcy cards posted on the forums and was wondering if anybody has put together a list somewhere of what has been found and what is possibly out there?

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014

I think you're right - spoke with the owner of the Nomo Epix Seasons and those were his. This is the same guy behind the Pinnacle Baseball Find. He had the full run of Epix cards that were intended to be released in '98 Pinnacle Certified and card #E24 he had was indeed Hideo Nomo, not Eddie Murray - he did not have an Eddie Murray Season Epix. I'll make these additions to the BBP page. Good eye, [MENTION=10975]athletics07[/MENTION].

I've seen some of the Pinnacle Bankruptcy cards posted on the forums and was wondering if anybody has put together a list somewhere of what has been found and what is possibly out there?

[MENTION=3887]AUTaxMan[/MENTION] has a library of 1998 Select bankruptcy cards. Can also check out the links I posted a few pages back to the BBP website:
1998 Select
1998 Pinnacle Certified
1998 Donruss Limited

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL

baseballcardpedia has some good info. I used to maintain the 1998 Select info, but when the floodgates seemed to open last year, I didnt feel like taking the time to keep it up. I do have a lot of scans if you are looking for anything in particular.

Last edited:

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
I think you're right - spoke with the owner of the Nomo Epix Seasons and those were his. This is the same guy behind the Pinnacle Baseball Find. He had the full run of Epix cards that were intended to be released in '98 Pinnacle Certified and card #E24 he had was indeed Hideo Nomo, not Eddie Murray - he did not have an Eddie Murray Season Epix. I'll make these additions to the BBP page. Good eye, [MENTION=10975]athletics07[/MENTION].

[MENTION=3887]AUTaxMan[/MENTION] has a library of 1998 Select bankruptcy cards. Can also check out the links I posted a few pages back to the BBP website:
1998 Select
1998 Pinnacle Certified
1998 Donruss Limited

baseballcardpedia has some good info. I used to maintain the 1998 Select info, but when the floodgates seemed to open last year, I didnt feel like taking the time to keep it up. I do have a lot of scans if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks for the links guys. I'm not looking for anything in particular but am curious if there is any Tom Glavine stuff floating around out there.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
There is another set of the Juan Gonzalez Epix cards on COMC. This is the 5Th set of theses I have seen now. SOOOOO how rare are they? The seller wants $350 each. I need them but I won't pay even close to that kind of money.

Members online

Latest posts