Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Donruss Signature Gold Preview! Help any information and backstory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I just picked up the unsigned gold Alomar card recently. Does anyone have more details about the story behind these? I would imagine they are backdoored cards but maybe someone here knows more.

By the way Alomar was also in the released set.

There are also some unsigned prototypes floating out there of guys who weren't actually in the auto set

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah the prices are not that cheap. The seller seems to have a complete set of them, from HOF'ers to commons. Here's the Alomar I bought from him:

4.jpg

One of those cards I saw and just HAD TO HAVE. Interesting that the promo cards have holo gold foil. The regular issue red and green cards had gold foil, while the blue regular issue had holo blue foil. Really cool rainbow to look at when they are all together.

Theres a bernie on ebay says bankruptcy issue. Asking a lot

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember there was an article in Beckett back around 1999 or so, when they actually did a bit of hobby journalism, and they found a collector who had amassed a big chunk of the yellow previews, unsigned/unreleased guys, and all that. Back when the internet was just starting to catch on, he could find these rando copies here and there that people didn't actually realize were special.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
to much for me, not pack pulled backdoor. Dont get me wrong, would like to have it. just way to much.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I was looking at the mo Vaughn, which at $99 isn't bad but for less than double that I could grab a mirror gold which seems far more appealing to me for that PC.

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
to much for me, not pack pulled backdoor. Dont get me wrong, would like to have it. just way to much.

Same with me. I picked up the other 3 for the price this alone would cost me. No thanks. I talked with the seller on the phone last year and the prices he wants for this and other Select prototypes/proofs are way beyond my reach, so he can just keep 'em! I know what the market is for my player and I'll just wait until they get there. If they don't, oh well.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Same with me. I picked up the other 3 for the price this alone would cost me. No thanks. I talked with the seller on the phone last year and the prices he wants for this and other Select prototypes/proofs are way beyond my reach, so he can just keep 'em! I know what the market is for my player and I'll just wait until they get there. If they don't, oh well.

great post, i tried on some of the select stuff, im retired and even that i pay up when i see something i like. Not this time.

Members online