Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
There are a couple incredible 1/1s on eBay right now (including 1 I hope doesn't go too high for me) and this beauty was pulled on a group break site today. I haven't figured out the significance of 220 but I would still love to own it. 34994.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Posted this question/dilemma to the general baseball community. Also figured I'd get your thoughts too!!!

Howdy all,

I have a situation I would like your collective advice on. I value the thoughts from the community greatly!

So, I recently purchased a 1998 Stadium Club First Day Issue #'d /200 card of Mark McGwire. Won the listing for $13 shipped. Pretty pleased with final price, as I was hoping to nail a copy for around $15. I think most of you who collect players from this general era know that these are tricky to find. There may be 200 copies, but they rarely seem to pop up, likely due to the only subtle differences between them and the base cards. So, while not an expensive card, I pain to find.

Received a few days ago, safe and sound. Now, I took the card out of the toploader and penny sleeve, so I could put it in a nice fresh set for my PC. I notice a few flaws not mentioned in the listing. Not putting this on the seller at all, they are not so very obvious, especially because the card came in a semi-scuffed up penny sleeve and semi-scuffed up toploader, making them difficult to identify. See pictures here;

IMG_20180909_135143376_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180909_135249484.jpg

I circled the issues in red. Indent in the middle of the card, creasing at the top as well as creasing on the back, that runs half way down. All in all, not the worst thing in the world, but not a copy I'd like to have in my PC. I am torn between what to do; keep or return. If I keep, I will try and find an upgrade at some point, but nice to have a copy in the interim. I contacted the seller about a partial refund and he was receptive to the thought. He is offering to return $3, which would make my total purchase $10. I am mulling it over now. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Cheers,
Mark

jam022316

Jul 31, 2018
Posted this question/dilemma to the general baseball community. Also figured I'd get your thoughts too!!!

Howdy all,

I have a situation I would like your collective advice on. I value the thoughts from the community greatly!

So, I recently purchased a 1998 Stadium Club First Day Issue #'d /200 card of Mark McGwire. Won the listing for $13 shipped. Pretty pleased with final price, as I was hoping to nail a copy for around $15. I think most of you who collect players from this general era know that these are tricky to find. There may be 200 copies, but they rarely seem to pop up, likely due to the only subtle differences between them and the base cards. So, while not an expensive card, I pain to find.

Received a few days ago, safe and sound. Now, I took the card out of the toploader and penny sleeve, so I could put it in a nice fresh set for my PC. I notice a few flaws not mentioned in the listing. Not putting this on the seller at all, they are not so very obvious, especially because the card came in a semi-scuffed up penny sleeve and semi-scuffed up toploader, making them difficult to identify. See pictures here;

View attachment 83033
View attachment 83034

I circled the issues in red. Indent in the middle of the card, creasing at the top as well as creasing on the back, that runs half way down. All in all, not the worst thing in the world, but not a copy I'd like to have in my PC. I am torn between what to do; keep or return. If I keep, I will try and find an upgrade at some point, but nice to have a copy in the interim. I contacted the seller about a partial refund and he was receptive to the thought. He is offering to return $3, which would make my total purchase $10. I am mulling it over now. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Cheers,
Mark

I would just take the refund and move on. Keep it and wait for a better copy, if it’s that rare you may not see another for a while. For what you paid for it, it’s not with the time to return it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'd do the same. I honestly don't care as much about grade and quality as most do. Chasing these cards for this long has gotten me immune to that need. I've had the same situation you are in happen a couple times myself and just earmarked them to replace later. Refund is a bonus :)

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Thanks for the replies and thoughts guys. I did wind up taking the partial refund and keeping the card. Like Joe said, just making note to myself to find a replacement if one ever pops up for a price I am comfortable.

On a separate note, I have another question for you guys. I was just browsing through my collection and found myself unsure of the following; regarding the 1998 Collector's Choice jumbo cards, what is the difference between the Cover Glory Jumbo and the retail Jumbos (of which the cover glory card is one of)? According to some research, seems UD made a set of Cover Glory 5x7 jumbo cards, available through wrapper redemption only. It also appears UD made some retail exclusive 5x7 jumbos, inserted into blaster boxes. Seems the Cover Glory card (card #5) made it into both checklists. Is there a noticeable difference to distinguish the two from one another? Any help/guidance would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Mark

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the replies and thoughts guys. I did wind up taking the partial refund and keeping the card. Like Joe said, just making note to myself to find a replacement if one ever pops up for a price I am comfortable.

On a separate note, I have another question for you guys. I was just browsing through my collection and found myself unsure of the following; regarding the 1998 Collector's Choice jumbo cards, what is the difference between the Cover Glory Jumbo and the retail Jumbos (of which the cover glory card is one of)? According to some research, seems UD made a set of Cover Glory 5x7 jumbo cards, available through wrapper redemption only. It also appears UD made some retail exclusive 5x7 jumbos, inserted into blaster boxes. Seems the Cover Glory card (card #5) made it into both checklists. Is there a noticeable difference to distinguish the two from one another? Any help/guidance would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Mark

I was always under the assumption it was the hologram that was different. I've never seen a retail version though so was never able to confirm that.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
I was always under the assumption it was the hologram that was different. I've never seen a retail version though so was never able to confirm that.

That is what I would have assumed as well....diamond vs home plate hologram. Never seen one other than the home plate version. Also haven't been able to find any information about the other 7 players that seem to fall into both retail and cover glory checklists. If I get any info, I'll let y'all know.

Cheers,
Mark

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
[MENTION=1967]7guns[/MENTION] [MENTION=4155]Bane50[/MENTION] does the holo on yours match the one that Mark, Jay, and I have

b-1359.jpg

mattglet

Aug 14, 2017
NH
Hello all, I obviously didn't go back and try to figure this out, but I was wondering if anyone needs these cards? I'm downsizing my Canseco collection to include only pre-2008 cards and I have a couple of low numbered McGwire cards that are available. PM me if you are interested:

2016 Leaf Holiday Bonus - 2010 Famous Fabrics /3
4392-front.jpg

2015 Immaculate Collection Dual Players Memorabilia /15
3802-front.jpg

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Got the certified gold team test in today! Front doesn't scan very well. Much nicer in person.

f-28140.jpg
b-28140.jpg

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
I'm a big fan of firsts, so I convinced myself to overpay when the 2017 first dual team auto hit eBay. Part of my willingness to overpay was because I knew I wouldn't care about the 2nd and subsequent dual team cards, so of course Topps made the 2nd one incredible so I had to have it too.20180918_152634.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts