Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Gomez is a sack of crap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Meh, I don't think it was that huge of an ordeal. Cole should have shut his mouth and Gomez should have been the better man. They were both idiots and Gomez was thrown out of the game. I don't think this was a big deal.

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
Jeter pimped a double down the line earlier this year and almost got thrown out at second. He hit the ball 330 and pimped it, but we don't talk about that cause he is Jeter, below replacement defensive SS great singles hitter, and the pitcher didn't cry about it. Gomez hit the ball around 390-400 to center off the wall in what I believe is not a hitter friendly park and he pimped it less than Jeter and got a triple, but Cole cried about it and another pirate goaded him into throwing a punch. If you don't want to get pimped, throw better pitches. If you are upset about it, hit him next AB or strike him out and pimp him when you do it.

No doubt a double standard especially when it comes to MLB royalty. Gomez will turn out to be journeyman so he does not get the benefit of the doubt

Orangejello727

Jul 7, 2010
a bit of trash talking on the field should never lead to a throw down. Players heckle each other just as much as fans heckle them. Gomez needs to learn to control himself when it comes to jabs on the field literally meant to disrupt his momentum.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Suspension predictions?

Cole: not even considered
Snider: 1 (maaaaaybe 2 because he came off the bench)
Gomez: solid 2 because of past history, throwing the real first punch, and maybe Torre feels he used his helmet as a weapon. (Gomez could appeal for 1, since Snider came in off the bench and GoGo was "defending" himself, but that's a reach)
Maldonado: 3-5, based on the solid punch to a guy he wasn't fighting at that exact second

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Six pages of this already?

Gomez made a mistake. Then another. Then another. And then another.

Gomez misjudged his prestigious blast to the wall. He showboated out of the box. He stepped at Cole to challenge him to a fight. Then he threw the first punch.

And Cole is the baby and Gomez is in the right? You guys who think that are clueless.

But wait, did any of you siding with Gomez on this also support Jared Weaver for throwing at Alex Avila's face, when Avila actually did nothing to anyone? Hmmm. I bet you did. Cole actually did the BEST thing by simply calling Gomez out for his idiocy, saying it to his face and walking away.

But Gomez had to cry about it and start a brawl...for his own stupidity...not the stupidity of Gerrit Cole.

Cole was in the right. Gomez was in the wrong. It's not that complicated boys.

Let's start a new thread now about Travis Snider, okay?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Gomez misjudged his prestigious blast to the wall. He showboated out of the box. He stepped at Cole to challenge him to a fight. Then he threw the first punch.

And Cole is the baby and Gomez is in the right? You guys who think that are clueless.

But wait, did any of you siding with Gomez on this also support Jared Weaver for throwing at Alex Avila's face, when Avila actually did nothing to anyone? Hmmm. I bet you did. Cole actually did the BEST thing by simply calling Gomez out for his idiocy, saying it to his face and walking away.

But Gomez had to cry about it and start a brawl...for his own stupidity...not the stupidity of Gerrit Cole.

I think everyone agrees that Gomez went way too far, but to completely absolve a guy who was clearly baiting/taunting is pretty naive. These guys are emotional when they are in the heat of the moment and to have a guy squawking at you after you were just shown up by a wall can set someone like Gomez off, and it did. Clearly Gomez is an idiot, but they should BOTH be more professional.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I put this all on Gomez.

I have tried and can't see it any other way.

I'll say this again, I definitely think Gomez is an idiot (BAR NONE), but you honestly think none of the blame goes to the guy who got confrontational? Or anyone who came off the bench and got themselves involved in escalating it? Is Gomez the first hot dog without a long list of credentials to stare at a ball? Sure you might jaw at him but do you scream obscenities loud enough for the mics to pick up?

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014

Cole went at Gomez first and Gomez stepped towards him in response. Cole had his players there to step in between and it was on the side of his bench. Gomez threw the first punch which isn't acceptable, but it was clearly started by the pirates. Everyday multiple players admire the ball out of the box a little bit. It isn't always a HR. Very few opponents react with anything more than a snarky remark. The Pirates clearly overreacted and then Gomez overreacted. I put the majority of the blame on the players that came out of the Pirates bench when the confrontation was over and the players were separated and calmed down a little. The bench had no reason to leave the bench at all.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
You can clearly hear Cole say "hey why dont you XXXXing (then becomes faint but assume he says run that out)".
Im puzzled by posters that find Gomez at fault for this. Yes hes a hot head but Cole baited him, hes the one at fault.
Seeing it otherwise is watching that video with blinders on.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Cole should be happy Gomez show boated or else this game would be over. If Gomez hustled out of the box he would have had an in the park HR.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

^This for sure. But Gomez should have been hustling no matter what. Watching a fly ball isnt classy at all, its cocky. And he just looked like an ass when the ball didnt go out.

Last edited:

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
There is a difference between yelling, cussing and hitting someone, if you don't see it in this, you probably never will. One can make you look like an a-hole, the other can land you in jail.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
There is a difference between yelling, cussing and hitting someone, if you don't see it in this, you probably never will. One can make you look like an a-hole, the other can land you in jail.

Do you think people dont know the difference?

Also, it happens on a regular basis in every flipping sport so dont point to it being a crime unless its been regularly punished as one in professional sports.

A_Pharis

Can't they both be sacks of crap?

Also, I reiterate - Maldonado is the real sack of crap. Said on Twitter that he was "behind his team"... by throwing a haymaker at a guy being pulled back. Snider challenged him to a fight for charity after the season, and I'd love to see it go down.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Do you think people dont know the difference?

Also, it happens on a regular basis in every flipping sport so dont point to it being a crime unless its been regularly punished as one in professional sports.

Apparently some don't. What I said basically echoes what CG had to say and most are disagreeing with him. With the pointing out one CAN be a crime, I was just speaking in general.
This whole thing is pretty easy.

Can I punch a guy at work, who calls me an F'ng idiot, or do I get fired?
Can I hit my wife, when she yells or calls me a name, or do I go to jail?

Cole acted like many men do in sports, when they feel like someone is showing them up.
Is that ok? No, he surely could have handled it better.

But, Gomez coulda/shoulda laughed, made fun of his mom, yelled back, anything other than throwing a punch.

He lost his cool, in a much worse manner, IMO.

Now that everyone in the league knows Gomez can't keep his cool, he is going to need some help to do so,
because I think many others will be talking to him now, to get into his head.

If a pitcher purposely tries to hit you in the head with a 96 mph fastball, I say go do what you have to do, which may differ from CG.
But if some moron is yelling at ya, laugh at his a$$. Show a poker face, grow up and be the bigger man.
It appears this is something Gomez can't do. I suspect players/teams will continue to bait him.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Suspension predictions?

Cole: not even considered
Snider: 1 (maaaaaybe 2 because he came off the bench)
Gomez: solid 2 because of past history, throwing the real first punch, and maybe Torre feels he used his helmet as a weapon. (Gomez could appeal for 1, since Snider came in off the bench and GoGo was "defending" himself, but that's a reach)
Maldonado: 3-5, based on the solid punch to a guy he wasn't fighting at that exact second

Cole is going to get suspended for instigating. Snider should get 2.

Members online

Latest posts