Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Thats an insane price for a box of 1996 Selet Certified. Odds on hitting a mirror gold are 1:300 packs so you have have to hit a jackpot just to recoup the money sunk into the box.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thats an insane price for a box of 1996 Selet Certified. Odds on hitting a mirror gold are 1:300 packs so you have have to hit a jackpot just to recoup the money sunk into the box.

Even if you hit a gold, how many of the players in the release could get you a return on that purchase? Not an Albert Belle lol. Jeter, Ripken, McGwire, A.Rod, Will Clark? Just thinking of all the crazy player collectors and even then, they'd probably have to grade the card to get the return if I'm seeing things right.

I have to agree. Was the auction possibly shilled? The second bidder only has 52 feedback, 18% with this seller and has 13 bid retractions in the last 6 months.

This is spot on... def shilled!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I'm not sure I understand why in the world that went for so much. Even if the seller could guarantee a Mirror Red or Blue of a major star, the buyer couldn't come out ahead. Only way buyer comes out ahead is if he gets very very lucky and pulls a Mirror Gold, then gets very very very lucky and it's a major star. I saw that discussed earlier and thought it would sell for $150 to $200, but that price is pretty crazy to me. To each his own . . . I'd rather just go buy singles like this (listed as 1997, but definitely a 1996):

1997 Select Certified Mark McGwire Mirror Blue 20 Oakland A's Short Print SP | eBay

Title fail...........Again, I think I paid $125ish for a box of 1996 Select Cert in Jan/Feb.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Not mine and not sure how rare but for all my Gwynn collectors saw this just now on COMCs...

d8984289-aecf-49c5-a2aa-e22609c28baf.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
1998 Leaf Fractal Materials Die-Cuts. I have 199/200 of this set - need a Nomo Z-Axis Leather to complete it.

168.original.jpg
168.original.back.jpg

and a Chipper Jones serial # = jersey # from the same set:

130.original.jpg
130.original.back.jpg

Cool accomplishment! One of my favorite 90's sets. I regretted not getting some of these when a batch of them appeared on ebay last year. It would be a fun retro rip, but the juice ain't worth the squeeze. You're not alone in needing Nomo to complete a tough set - I've heard of a few in your boat.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Cool accomplishment! One of my favorite 90's sets. I regretted not getting some of these when a batch of them appeared on ebay last year. It would be a fun retro rip, but the juice ain't worth the squeeze. You're not alone in needing Nomo to complete a tough set - I've heard of a few in your boat.
I haven't seen a Nomo for sale in years - I wonder if any were lost in the tsunami as I'm sure plenty have found their ways overseas.

olrac44

Dec 30, 2012
96 Select Certified Box

The winning bidder bid aggressively based on a bet he made with me and another collector that he couldn't obtain at least one box of 1996 Select Certified baseball within a one year time period. The bet was for a steak dinner.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
The winning bidder bid aggressively based on a bet he made with me and another collector that he couldn't obtain at least one box of 1996 Select Certified baseball within a one year time period. The bet was for a steak dinner.

Haha well if that is true it had better be one hell of a steak dinner.

Members online