Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New idea for a product - what do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I was thinking of ideas today of Topps to put out another product that isn't centered around high-end bat knobs and jumbo patches and boxes that cost $500 for 3 packs. I'm thinking more along the lines of Topps Chrome and Finest (two of my favorite products). It can feature autographs, but has a really nice base set (something along the lines of Finest or Tribute), some nice insert sets, and parallels for each card.

The game of baseball and how we study it statistically has changed the past 10 years, why not put out a product that recognizes that?

So how about 2014 Topps WAR Heroes?

-The base set would feature the Top 100 players in WAR from the previous season, no exceptions. If Alex Rodriguez doesn't crack the top 100, he's not on the base checklist. Take time with the base set and make it desirable like the Tribute base cards (although maybe not as thick). Have 4 or 5 parallels for each base card.

-I know Topps can't fathom a product without its "rookies" or "legends" so they could have insert sets - "Future WAR Heroes" or "WAR Legends" (which would honor the greatest WAR seasons of all time like Babe Ruth's 1923 season or Cal Ripken's 1991 season). 2 or 3 parallels for the insert sets. This could also be a way to include guys like Jeter and ARod who are current legends but may not have made the top 100 the previous year.

-Other insert ideas: "Defensive WAR" and "Offensive WAR" that could feature the top WAR leaders on the offensive or defensive side so guys like Adam Dunn (offensive) or Brendan Ryan (defensive) might get a card. Could be a way to get the "filler" autographs in the set as well.

What do you guys think?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, I'd love to see something like this in base Topps - in part because I think its a good idea and because I think the # of sets should be decreased.

EDIT: Maybe Topps could team up with Marvel and call the set 'WAR Machines'.

Last edited:

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Its definitely interesting. I despise WAR on general principle (way to complicated and the selective removal of the situations of the game etc and so on). But for all that I can't deny its usefulness.

The concept is a good one though IMO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I'd think the overwhelming majority of the populace, much less Topps' target audience, and a large percentage even here on this baseball card chat board has no idea what WAR is.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Instead of "Hot Gloves" you can have "UZR Gloves". Instead of "ERA Leaders" or "Strikeout Kings", you have "xFIP Leaders" or "BABIP Kings". :benson:

I know you are being sarcastic but there's nothing wrong with the new statistics analysts use today to study and gauge a player's performance. Like [MENTION=2185]studioclint[/MENTION] said, it could help teach those that are uneducated. Your insert sets are actually good ideas.

Those that wish not to learn about the new stats remind me of the older generation that refused to learn about the new "computer" thing, you know, because they had typewriters that were just as efficient.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Unfortunately, those that wish not to learn the new stats are the primary target market for Topps' cards (excluding certain lines such as Bowman). Including sabermetric analysis on card backs discretely would be one thing, but creating entire sets devoted to them may be taking it too far and would only serve to alienate the older populace that buy the products IMO.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
You really think people would be so ignorant to NOT buy a MLB-licensed product simply because it is centered around a new "stat?" I don't think so. I think they'll see a cool looking card of their favorite team or player and buy it. I think they'll see decent value in busting a box and cannot defeat the battle they have with their addiction to wax.

Seriously, I would love to hear from player and team collectors on this - especially if you hate the new sabermetrics. Would you not buy any cards from the set even though it features your team/player in a MLB-licensed product?

And I think you are underestimating the amount of baseball fans willing to embrace change.

Latest posts