Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FREE CONTEST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
FIRST PERSON TO TELL ME WHO THIS PERSON IS AND WHAT HE AND MIKE TROUT HAVE IN COMMON (NOT OBVIOUS) WILL WIN A FREE BOWMAN AUTOGRAPH OR #'D REFRACTOR FROM THE TEAM OF YOUR CHOICE.

BBALL.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That's Wes Ferrell.

Both players lead the AL in WAR in a year in which they came in 2nd in the MVP voting (1935 for Ferrell, 2012 for Trout).

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Yes, that's Wes Ferrell, and those are some interesting and "in common" stats, but not exactly what I had in mind. Care to guess again on what they share in common?

Note: I don't have any Beavers cards.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
At the time of their rookie debut, both were the youngest players in the AL?

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Nobody has guessed it yet. Again, it's not something obvious like his height or the fact they wear uniforms or haven't been to our kitchens.

Wes_Ferrell-1937.jpg

If nobody has guessed it by tonight at 7 p.m. EST, I'll post the answer.

Last edited:

Tywill555

Jan 2, 2013
Both there wins above replacement (war) was 10.9 when they had the highest average in the AL.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Answer: Wes Ferrell; he and Trout are tied for 95th on the all-time best single season WAR list at 10.9.

It's shocking that despite the great year of Trout in 2012, it's only 95th best for single season WAR.

Doc Gooden has the record for best WAR (13.2) post WWII and is 21st overall for his amazing year in 1985. But was he high on cocaine all year then?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Answer: Wes Ferrell; he and Trout are tied for 95th on the all-time best single season WAR list at 10.9.

It's shocking that despite the great year of Trout in 2012, it's only 95th best for single season WAR.

Doc Gooden has the record for best WAR (13.2) post WWII and is 21st overall for his amazing year in 1985. But was he high on cocaine all year then?

From what I have heard, he and Strawberry started using circa 1988, but who knows...

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA

I think all the pitchers should be required to do a little coke to speed the game up. I think it would be possible to do 1:15 hour games with cocaine. ;)

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
From what I have heard, he and Strawberry started using circa 1988, but who knows...

Good to know. I loved watching Doc back in 84-86. He was so good and seemed to strike everybody out with a high riding fastball and a wicked curve that would drop off the table. I saw Strawberry in Spring Training once and the dude had the strongest arms I'd personally ever seen for a hitter to that point. He whipped the bat around like it was light as a toothpick. Seemed like a very dangerous hitter to me and one I'd never want to face with the game on the line.

I think all the pitchers should be required to do a little coke to speed the game up. I think it would be possible to do 1:15 hour games with cocaine. ;)

Oil Can Boyd was high all the time on cocaine and he threw 452 different pitches (none above 79 mph), and his games lasted forever, so I don't think cocaine really speeds anything up.

I was actually close!

Yes. Deliciousbacon was also.

Members online

Latest posts