Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braun and Arod expected to get 100-game suspensions after All-Star break.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Giambi flat out denied it, until he got caught. Pettite got caught, said it was the only time he did it, got caught again and said those were the only times he did it.

Thank you. "Admitting it" after you already got caught doesn't make you any less guilty. It's a shame when we think of this as a stand-up thing.

I would love for one of these guys who never got busted to confess.

In my own perfect world, a previously unsuspected player would confess to doing steroids as part of his HOF induction speech. Heads would explode!

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
In a parallel universe I would love to have seen congress go ahead and revoke MLBs Anti-trust exemption and see if that would have made MLB stand up and go after these guys with this much vigor back then. The game I love has essentially turned into a "who dunnit!" and our apathy levels have reached the redline.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I'm not a Braun fan, but how exactly is he a scumbag?

Lying about the last results. Blaming the guy who handled the results and not answer why his body had that much testosterone but yet blame an innocent guy of contaminating his results. Which then the fans did, and now looks like they had no idea what they were talking about and look stupid for buying what Braun was selling.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I could'nt care less what these guys put in their bodies.

Thats fine, but then don't blame some innocent guy who could lose his job of tampering with samples when you are caught cheating. It made a bunch of people look really stupid for believing him.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Thats fine, but then don't blame some innocent guy who could lose his job of tampering with samples when you are caught cheating. It made a bunch of people look really stupid for believing him.

Who did I blame for anything?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Who did I blame for anything?

Ok you asked why is Braun considered a scumbag. I explained it to you why, and how HE (not you) and his people blamed the sample guy. You then said how you dont care and I explained how it almost ruined an innocent guys life (the tester).

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
RE: Admittance

No, it doesn't make anyone any less guilty. In the end, fans have shown that they will forgive if you admit to it. If Pettite gets caught again, admits it again, and apologizes again, fans will forgive him. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, that's just how it goes.

I think that also brings the point that fans are more upset over being lied to or misled by their favorite players. I could be using the wrong terms there, but hopefully you get what I mean. To most people, hardcore or casual fans, steroids are viewed as cheating. To a lot of people, these players are heroes and role models. So when they get popped for cheating, these people get their feelings hurt. When these players get popped and continuously deny, I think it hurts these people further. If said player just owns up to it, people appreciate the apology (if at least it is feigned sincerely enough) and move on.

I know some of us feel differently about some or all of that, but facts are still facts. You and I may not look up to players as heroes or role models, but other grown men do. We may not get our feelings hurt about it, but to the people who hold these guys on pedestals, they do.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Admittance is kind of right, but it depends.

Fans won't forgive greedy players who think themselves as being bigger than the game... in other words, fans won't put up with certain kinds of unsportsmanlike conduct even if a player were to admit to wrongdoing. Aroid and Bonds could apologize all they'd like, but it wouldn't help them any.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Lying about the last results. Blaming the guy who handled the results and not answer why his body had that much testosterone but yet blame an innocent guy of contaminating his results. Which then the fans did, and now looks like they had no idea what they were talking about and look stupid for buying what Braun was selling.
Did he blame the guy of contaminating the results? From what I understand his argument was that the sample wasnt handled properly therefore it could have been contaminated.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Ok you asked why is Braun considered a scumbag. I explained it to you why, and how HE (not you) and his people blamed the sample guy. You then said how you dont care and I explained how it almost ruined an innocent guys life (the tester).

I hadnt seen your reply when I wrote this.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Did he blame the guy of contaminating the results? From what I understand his argument was that the sample wasnt handled properly therefore it could have been contaminated.

It was fancy semantics, but you are right. Braun's excuse wasn't about what DID happen; it was about what no one could actually prove, since there was a ***** in the protocol. The sample handler didn't do anything wrong as far as the agreed upon protocol was concerned; but what the handler did do was found to be unreliable by the arbitrator, so the protocol itself was wrong.

Once Braun's team punched a hole in the protocol, he could say whatever he wanted and there was technically no proof to the contrary. Thus, I'm not sure how MLB can still PROVE he was lying at the time, since it would be double jeopardy; but I also don't think MLB cares about double jeopardy, so they'll just do what they want.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Braun is out of the lineup today. He played in one game after sitting out the previous 26. I'm all for him extending his suspension, especially if it means Reds pitching doesn't have to deal with him.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Cheating will never stop until they go after the monies. I'm actually okay with having smaller suspension - like 25 games - for something like "if you are suspended for illegal substances A) you play for minimum wage the next three years or B) you can only sign a contract for minimum wage.

The reason Melky and Colon did not care they got suspended b/c they knew they would get contracts at the end of the season...and they both did. They were rewarded for cheating.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
This was all a joke when Braun got off before.
I can honestly say that I could care less about baseball more and more everyday. It doesn't help that I am Cubs fan, but in all honesty, it is so boring.
Can't wait for Football and Hockey to start up again.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Cheating will never stop until they go after the monies. I'm actually okay with having smaller suspension - like 25 games - for something like "if you are suspended for illegal substances A) you play for minimum wage the next three years or B) you can only sign a contract for minimum wage.

The reason Melky and Colon did not care they got suspended b/c they knew they would get contracts at the end of the season...and they both did. They were rewarded for cheating.

No, the cheating wont stop until they actually start testing guys more stringently. The testing they have right now is a joke. You can be on a cycle and pass that test, so, until they actually start catching players, the cheating will continue.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
No, the cheating wont stop until they actually start testing guys more stringently. The testing they have right now is a joke. You can be on a cycle and pass that test, so, until they actually start catching players, the cheating will continue.

They will always find a way to get around it.

Members online

Latest posts