Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Guess It's Up to Us to Vote in Puig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I would agree that playing in the minors is every bit as challenging/demanding as playing in the majors. It is a tough world in MiLB.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Going into the final hours, Freeman still leads Puig for the Final Vote.
Delabar is winning in the AL.
The winner will be announced today (Thursday) at 4pm Eastern Time.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Fans select the 9 starters from each league, then 18 spots are picked by the players ballot meaning managers, coaches, & players vote for 18 spots. Then the all star manager fills the last 7 spots & has to make sure there is 1 player from each team.

Thank you. I know the process, I just was not as specific as needed, I guess. Fans picking the starters is a huge problem that makes the game insignificant. Players who are undeserving, players on the DL, and stuff like that. I also believe that having to have 1 representative from each team is a joke as well. Each team may not have an all-star.

Any way, I do appreciate your post. I should have been more specific as opposed to generalizing. Either way, I don't care for the All-Star Game. It means nothing, in my opinion.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That is nonsense. It isn't physically tougher to play everyday in the big leagues as it is to play everyday in the minors. They are still playing everyday. It doesn't take more effort to play in the majors just bc the competition is better.

I don't think you can prove this. You're able to get by and stay on a team with less than 100% effort if you're playing against inferior competition.

But regardless, the level of fatigue one suffers in the MLB is unquestionably greater. Fatigue doesn't only include physical aspects.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I don't think you can prove this. You're able to get by and stay on a team with less than 100% effort if you're playing against inferior competition.

Based on this comment I'm guessing you never played sports beyond high school.

If you're a true competitor and high level athlete, giving less than 100% gets your ass kicked. There's no such thing as pacing yourself in games when you play college/pro sports. That gets you benched or cut, because there's always someone out there who IS willing to give 100%.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Are we really trying to prove if MiLB players have less fatigue than MLB players (physical or mental)?

Everything is relative.

A high school baseball player up to bat in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded with the State Championship on the line with a packed crowd of 2,000 would feel the same as an MLB player up to bat in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded with the World Series on the on line in front of a packed house of 60,000. Pressure and exhaustion are relative.

I'd get exhausted mentally and physically playing hockey in tournaments at 10, just like I would in college and later. Sure, the talent was better...but it was no more or less exhausting relatively.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
And on a related note, MLB released the numbers on jersey sales...

Puig rounds out the top 10 in popularity, so even if fans are voting for the All Star game, they've voted with their wallets.

1. Buster Posey, CGiants
2. Mariano Rivera, PYankees
3. Yadier Molina, CCardinals
4. David Wright, 3BMets
5. Matt Harvey, PMets
6. Bryce Harper, OFNationals
7. Derek Jeter, SSYankees
8. Manny Machado, 3BOrioles
9. Mike Trout, OFAngels
10. Yasiel Puig, OFDodgers

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

But regardless, the level of fatigue one suffers in the MLB is unquestionably greater. Fatigue doesn't only include physical aspects.
In milb if you don't perform you go down or get cut. That's not mentally challenging? You are competing not only with the other team, but with your own players as well. You dont get by in the minors with bad effort. Just as challenging as MLB. And for a lot of these guys, gone doesnt just mean out of baseball, gone means out of the U.S, and back to a life of poverty.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
That's the real answer I wanted. I was being a little snide wording it as a rule question, but this is what I wanted to get at. The crux of my value argument is that Puig's performance (and stardom/marketing value) is good enough to supercede such a minimum. Surely there is a level of play that would supercede any games limit. Shoot, if a guy hit 30 home runs in 10 games, I'd sure as hell want him in the All Star Game.

In any case I wonder if our difference of opinion is based more on whether or not his performance warrants exception to your artificial (but also practical and not at all unreasonable) minimum PA requirement or if the minimum is a hard and fast rule that allows for no exception.

I see what you are saying. He is exciting to watch. I've found myself tuning in to 75% of his at bats. Even if he makes it (I suppose he could still make it b/c of injury), he's only going to get one AB. I suppose the former baseball player in me just hates to see a tenured player get robbed of recognition.

I'm still shaking my head how Longoria and Donaldson are not in the AS game. They are both easily the MVP's of their teams who are playing well above .500 ball.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
That is nonsense. It isn't physically tougher to play everyday in the big leagues as it is to play everyday in the minors. They are still playing everyday. It doesn't take more effort to play in the majors just bc the competition is better.

I agree here. If anything, it's more physically taxing to be a minor leaguer b/c of the bus rides and they dont' receive the lavish treatment a MLB player gets before and after a game.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Are we really trying to prove if MiLB players have less fatigue than MLB players (physical or mental)?

Everything is relative.

A high school baseball player up to bat in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded with the State Championship on the line with a packed crowd of 2,000 would feel the same as an MLB player up to bat in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded with the World Series on the on line in front of a packed house of 60,000. Pressure and exhaustion are relative.

I'd get exhausted mentally and physically playing hockey in tournaments at 10, just like I would in college and later. Sure, the talent was better...but it was no more or less exhausting relatively.

For some reason this is something the others don't get - pressure and fatigue are indeed relative. Being unproven at a higher level of pressure doesn't mean you're equipped to handle that pressure... or the fatigue that goes along with it. Puig is showing this already, his BA is a lot lower this month than last.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
In milb if you don't perform you go down or get cut. That's not mentally challenging? You are competing not only with the other team, but with your own players as well. You dont get by in the minors with bad effort. Just as challenging as MLB. And for a lot of these guys, gone doesnt just mean out of baseball, gone means out of the U.S, and back to a life of poverty.

Its wasn't mentally or physically challenging for Puig who was playing down in double-A as some thought should be an MLB all-star. He didn't have to worry about getting cut there, although he does have to worry about that more in the MLB.

There's a reason why people get promoted, it's because the lower position was too easy. Heck, MLB players go to the MiLB for rehab because its less stressful.

Obviously if Puig were MLB ready from the beginning of the year as some contend, his tenure in the MiLB earlier this year could be thought of as a vacation or rehab stint.

Members online

Latest posts