Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the home run king? Maris or Bonds?

Who holds the "True" Home Run Record?

• Barry Bonds

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Roger Maris

Votes: 35 38.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
24/71 people disagree. I'm surprised the number isn't higher, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks cheaters should be punished.
So, what you you do about pitchers who doctor the baseball? Because you'd have to get rid of a lot of pitching records for that.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I believe in unicorns, Santa, Nessy and the notion that there isn't a single member of the baseball HOF who ever used steroids.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
My view is that Bonds hit 73 and that's great, but what Maris did was a greater accomplishment and he'll be the home run king until someone breaks the record without PEDs. There's no need to take any record off the books, I just see it as obvious that without steroids Mcgwire, Sosa, and Bonds weren't capable of exceeding 61 home runs. It's okay if you disagree, I don't intend on changing my mind either. It's just like Brandon Phillips starting the all star game. Most people may disagree with me, but I see it as obvious Matt Carpenter is better. I found it interesting to read everyone's opinions nonetheless thanks for sharing.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
24/71 people disagree. I'm surprised the number isn't higher, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks cheaters should be punished.

Convincing yourself that Maris is still the single season HR king is not "punishing" Bonds, McGwire, Sosa or anyone else you want to punish.

The fact is...steroid or not...cheating or not...Bonds hit 73 HR in 2001. McGwire hit 70 in 1998 and Sammy Sosa hit over 60 HR like 3 or 4 times. Maris is like 6th or 7th on the list. It's FACT. You are going by OPINION. I hate that Bonds has the HR record just as much as you do. But that doesn't mean I think Maris owns the record.

I also have no problem with others (like you and Chris Davis) thinking 61 is the record. I understand why. You are just wrong:)

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
my thing is , MLB and the owners knew guys were all juicing. Even the pitchers were juicing during the time the records got broken. Doesnt bother me or affect me at all, they were messing up their own bodies with the drugs.

In the long run it still takes an athlete (juice or no juice) to hit a homerun.

And thankfully their great drug testing program has put a stop to that. Or not. As Ryan Braun and A-Rod have shown, some still were getting away with it long after they should have.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
If an olympic record-holding sprinter admitted they unknowingly used steroid cream, wouldn't their record just be removed an their medal given to the next person? I think the same logic should apply here. They ran the time, no doubt about it. But they did so by cheating whether they knew it or not. How is this any different?

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Convincing yourself that Maris is still the single season HR king is not "punishing" Bonds, McGwire, Sosa or anyone else you want to punish.

The fact is...steroid or not...cheating or not...Bonds hit 73 HR in 2001. McGwire hit 70 in 1998 and Sammy Sosa hit over 60 HR like 3 or 4 times. Maris is like 6th or 7th on the list. It's FACT. You are going by OPINION. I hate that Bonds has the HR record just as much as you do. But that doesn't mean I think Maris owns the record.

I also have no problem with others (like you and Chris Davis) thinking 61 is the record. I understand why. You are just wrong:)

I very much agree with this. If you read the stats, Bonds has the record. The question was asked who has the hr record. Like I said earlier, Bonds at 73 has it, and that is FACT not OPINION. Whether anybody likes it, agrees with it, or not, that fact is that Bonds holds the HR record at 73.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I very much agree with this. If you read the stats, Bonds has the record. The question was asked who has the hr record. Like I said earlier, Bonds at 73 has it, and that is FACT not OPINION. Whether anybody likes it, agrees with it, or not, that fact is that Bonds holds the HR record at 73.

This I agree with, regardless of how he reached 73 in '01, he did it and bonds stands out among others as "that guy"

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, let me know!

Wes

OG
Administrator
If an olympic record-holding sprinter admitted they unknowingly used steroid cream, wouldn't their record just be removed an their medal given to the next person? I think the same logic should apply here. They ran the time, no doubt about it. But they did so by cheating whether they knew it or not. How is this any different?

That's a slippery slope. Mays and Aaron have admitted using amphetamines, do we clear them out of the HOF?

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
That's a slippery slope. Mays and Aaron have admitted using amphetamines, do we clear them out of the HOF?

The issue of steroids isn't a slippery slope to me, and I'm really just talking about the records. He hit the home runs, but they shouldn't count. Like in cycling, the olympics, college athletics, Nascar.... if you're found to be cheating after your enhanced-performance, they erase it.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
The issue of steroids isn't a slippery slope to me, and I'm really just talking about the records. He hit the home runs, but they shouldn't count. Like in cycling, the olympics, college athletics, Nascar.... if you're found to be cheating after your enhanced-performance, they erase it.

If they should or shouldn't count isn't in question. The fact is that the record is 73 regardless of fairness or how anybody feels about it personally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the big difference in single-man sports is that they compete in single events, won or lost during a tangibly specific period of time in which a specific drug test can be tied. These records that we as fans hold so dear are not important to the game of baseball in a definable way. Does the individual success of a cheater help his team overall? Of course it does, but it isn't the only contributing factor to the success of that team, and to strike said player's contribution would mean striking, in part, his team's performance in a way that cannot be tabulated or equated. The games have been played...the tournaments are over...they can't be undone without starting all over again.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010

You are wrong is always a good argument. 73 is the record, but if I'm Chris Davis I'm chasing 61 because that 73 is meaningless in my opinion. If I receive the highest possible score on a test by googling the answers, yes I got a 100% but the person who received a 99% without cheating accomplished something way more impressive. I should've phrased the question a little differently I guess, but I assumed people would know what i meant(I wasn't asking people if the number 61 is greater than the number 73).

You are wrong is always a good argument. 73 is the record, but if I'm Chris Davis I'm chasing 61 because that 73 is meaningless in my opinion. If I receive the highest possible score on a test by googling the answers, yes I got a 100% but the person who received a 99% without cheating accomplished something way more impressive. I should've phrased the question a little differently I guess, but I assumed people would know what i meant(I wasn't asking people if the number 61 is greater than the number 73).

But if the 100% test is still recognized by the school.. Your feelings of a greater sense of accomplishment mean little outside of your self worth.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Players still use and still don't get caught. Enough of the naivety...if you assume player X is clean, you're setting yourself up for a letdown.

Bonds is this era's home run champ, and has more home runs than anyone in history. Want to break the stats down by era, have at it.

Members online

Latest posts