Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What More Does Mike Trout Have To Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Congrats to Miggy. Well deserved award again. 1st back to back AL MVP since Frank Thomas in 93-94. That dude is a beast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
How anyone thought Mike Trout actually had a shot at winning MVP this year is beyond me. He had a better shot last year.

Miggy had a higher average, way more HR and RBI...it's an offensive award. If defense and speed were the major factors, Ozzie Smith would've had 10 MVPs

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
One of the big arguments for Miggy last year from the voters and many on this board was how amazing Cabrera was the last 6 weeks of the year versus Trout because of the twisted logic that a game in September means more to the final standings than a game in May.

Silly me! I thought he won the MVP last year because, he, uh... achieved the really rare TRIPLE CROWN!

I know *if* I were a voter and *if* the Tigers had finished with 100+ losses, I still would have voted Cabrera for MVP because of the rarity of his achievement in 2012.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Now we are debating if Playoff presence is a MVP factor in 2013?

I say it's a factor every year - the playoff teams are known (or are pretty much known) by the time the MVP votes are due so it's hard to think that when pondering a MVP vote, starting with playoff teams and figuring out who on those teams were valuable to the success of the team would not be a starting point to determining a MVP vote.

Want to take the playoff team bias out of the voting? Vote for the MVP during the All-Star Break, although you'll be screwing those players who will have strong post-ASB stats to put them in the MVP race.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Who's the troll voter who gave Josh Donaldson a first place vote?
Donaldson was just as valuable to the A's as Cabrera was to the Tigers, I would hardly call it a troll vote....the voter obviously takes defense into account. Maybe they are into the sabremetrics and gave it to the player with the higher 'WAR', who knows.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I say it's a factor every year - the playoff teams are known (or are pretty much known) by the time the MVP votes are due so it's hard to think that when pondering a MVP vote, starting with playoff teams and figuring out who on those teams were valuable to the success of the team would not be a starting point to determining a MVP vote.

Want to take the playoff team bias out of the voting? Vote for the MVP during the All-Star Break, although you'll be screwing those players who will have strong post-ASB stats to put them in the MVP race.

Yeah, I was being a sarcastic ass. I'd venture to guess that the last 10 MVPs were overwhelmingly on playoff teams.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The whole point of the baseball season is to get to the playoffs and, obviously, to try and win it all.

Whatever player has the biggest impact on getting a team to the playoffs in the first place SHOULD be the one to get it.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Last year you might have had an argument. I think if Cabrera had not won the triple crown, Trout would have edged him for the MVP.

This year it's not nearly as close. Trout may have had a better season, but Cabrera had a WAY better season than 2012. Oh and he was playing injured the entire year too, if that matters for an intangible measure of "value"

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Last year you might have had an argument. I think if Cabrera had not won the triple crown, Trout would have edged him for the MVP.

This year it's not nearly as close. Trout may have had a better season, but Cabrera had a WAY better season than 2012. Oh and he was playing injured the entire year too, if that matters for an intangible measure of "value"

Just echoing some thoughts...

Last year a man won the Triple Crown for the first time in my lifetime and was pushed by a rookie that had ridiculous numbers.

This year Mr. Triple Crown had a better year. Lets not over think things. I like WAR as much as anyone but this is pretty simple and I like Trout much more than Miggy.

socalyard

Feb 13, 2011
SoCal
How anyone thought Mike Trout actually had a shot at winning MVP this year is beyond me. He had a better shot last year.

Miggy had a higher average, way more HR and RBI...it's an offensive award. If defense and speed were the major factors, Ozzie Smith would've had 10 MVPs

That's an odd thing to say considering that Verlander won the AL MVP award just a couple years ago. My memory isn't what it used to be but I don't believe he did it with his bat. They really need to change this award to Most Outstanding Player so these yahoos will stop "misinterpreting" it in order to pick the players they see most. If they really want to get literal with what value truly is, Cabrera made 21 million dollars this year. Mike Trout made 510k. That's value. There is no way you can say Cabrera is a better all around player than Trout. He will probably always have the edge in the power categories but that is just one of the 5 tools.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
If you really study the history of the MVP award it has always had snubs and some massive ones. Some of the greatest seasons in history were never rewarded with the MVP.

socalyard

Feb 13, 2011
SoCal
The whole point of the baseball season is to get to the playoffs and, obviously, to try and win it all.

Whatever player has the biggest impact on getting a team to the playoffs in the first place SHOULD be the one to get it.

Ugh...I thought this MVP thing was an individual award? This isn't basketball. Having the greatest player in the league on your team does little for your chances at a post season run. There are eight other guys in the lineup, not to mention pitching (which most say is what wins championships), bullpens, injuries. I'm not arguing that Miggy doesn't deserve the MVP, I just hate the ridiculous "he took his team to the playoffs" reasoning.

Members online

Latest posts