Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jose Fernandez.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
I was already impressed by his stuff and approach. His rookie season has been excellent and I feel he deserves ROY over Puig.

I didn't know anything about his life though. Listening to a few recent interviews it is clear that he is a smart kid, with a good head on his shoulders. He has been through terrible tribulations, including multiple incarcerations for attempted defecting, jail stints as a 15-year-old that were served with adult hardened criminals. Overwhelming experience for any young person and he seems to have handled it with grace. His English is excellent (oh that's right, Cuban schools are often far better than American public school systems at this point) and he clearly feels that demonstrating gratitude for his success is important. He is very close with his Mom, the only family member that defected with him.

Conclusions:
1. The process of defecting from Cuba to USA is very dangerous and tests you to your core. It's awful that Cuba restricts their free movement. It's also awful that the US Coast Guard etc restricts their ability to get to freedom. Similar dynamics exist on the US-Mexico border and it is dangerous and incredible what people go through to get into the USA. Most immigrants obviously don't have a lure of a possible multi-million dollar baseball contract awaiting them on the other side either.

2. Jose Fernandez is smart, seems respectful, and is a badass dude. I am now a JoFer !Fan!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
One of my favorite players also a pitcher who defected from cuba.

orltg_zpsa4030670.jpeg

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
I'm also an El Duque fan. Isn't he the one that they were claiming faked his defection story though? Or am I thinking of someone else? Something about a raft.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I was already impressed by his stuff and approach. His rookie season has been excellent and I feel he deserves ROY over Puig.

I didn't know anything about his life though. Listening to a few recent interviews it is clear that he is a smart kid, with a good head on his shoulders. He has been through terrible tribulations, including multiple incarcerations for attempted defecting, jail stints as a 15-year-old that were served with adult hardened criminals. Overwhelming experience for any young person and he seems to have handled it with grace. His English is excellent (oh that's right, Cuban schools are often far better than American public school systems at this point) and he clearly feels that demonstrating gratitude for his success is important. He is very close with his Mom, the only family member that defected with him.

Conclusions:
1. The process of defecting from Cuba to USA is very dangerous and tests you to your core. It's awful that Cuba restricts their free movement. It's also awful that the US Coast Guard etc restricts their ability to get to freedom. Similar dynamics exist on the US-Mexico border and it is dangerous and incredible what people go through to get into the USA. Most immigrants obviously don't have a lure of a possible multi-million dollar baseball contract awaiting them on the other side either.

2. Jose Fernandez is smart, seems respectful, and is a badass dude. I am now a JoFer !Fan!

Thanks for sharing. Makes me wonder what Puig and the others have gone through.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Jose's story is amazing! It really makes you feel for him.

I remember reading that Puig tried and failed to defect 8 times before he finally made it out of cuba. Talk about determination!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I'm also an El Duque fan. Isn't he the one that they were claiming faked his defection story though? Or am I thinking of someone else? Something about a raft.

he came on a boat with some others. coast guard picked them up. think he went to costa rica where he became a citizen. something like that.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Very political, pro-Cuba post. The story about him is interesting, but I could've done without the political rhetoric...

My post, or the linked article? I'm certainly not harboring any illusions about the problems with the Castro regime and the desparate state of many Cubans.

Rumor is that Puig, after many attempts, hired assistance by a drug cartel to orchestrate his defection in exchange for a portion of the money he would earn in the US. I can't vouch for any worthiness to said rumor however.

Members online

Latest posts