Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does your gf, wife or significant other think of the hobby or your PC? Do they know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
These responses are completely different than what I thought was coming.

As an lcs owner, I can honestly say that I've heard many many times over the years "if my wife knew much I spent...."
Just happened last night in fact.

Year's ago, a regular came in and got a call from his wife. He told her he was in the subway and a couple of guys started to go "chugger chugger choo choo"

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
These responses are completely different than what I thought was coming.

As an lcs owner, I can honestly say that I've heard many many times over the years "if my wife knew much I spent...."
Just happened last night in fact.

Year's ago, a regular came in and got a call from his wife. He told her he was in the subway and a couple of guys started to go "chugger chugger choo choo"

Again, pathetic.

Why are people like that even married?

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I've been with my wife for 14 years and married almost 10.

I've collected sports cards since 1993.

End of story!

HAHA! Just kidding!

She tolerates it. But I will expand a little.

Before we had children, she would travel with me and go to various card shows that I attended. She "kinda" likes them. Likes opening packs and etc.

I admit that I spend a lot of money on cards. She says many times that I need to stop buying. But I won't... Ever.

She has no hobbies and sometimes, if I really want to get her pissed, I will say "You spend $100 per month on cigarettes, how much can you resell those butts for?"

She has purchased really nice cards for my Pacific Collection, and she will pick up packs at Wal-Mart to bust every once in a while, but she just hates that I spend so much money (and mainly the time at the computer) buying and selling cards.

I also have been spending a bit at Goodwill on stuff to buy on Ebay, so that adds to the discussion.

Just seems funny that she is so mad when I buy that stupid stuff at Goodwill but has no problem spending the money that is sitting in Paypal.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I've been with my wife for 14 years and married almost 10.
Just seems funny that she is so mad when I buy that stupid stuff at Goodwill but has no problem spending the money that is sitting in Paypal.

I can personally vouch for all of what Eddie said, his wife is pretty cool about it but loves spending PP too!

And E, I didn't know "Killa" smoked! One more thing I can pick on her for I guess...:cool:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Funny related story.

One of our best customers used to spend literally tens of thousands a year on cards, mostly Hockey. But when his wife would come in to get something for the Holidays or his BD she would look around for 30 minutes or so, ask our opinion and then spend about $10 on some UD base set packs. :lol:

I don't think she had a clue what he spent...

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
When I was married *yup* in the early years I did something to piss her off, which seemed to happen frequently, and knew I had to sell my Pujols rookies to buy a coach bag for her. I was pissed at myself and her at the time, but that was in 2004, really in retrospect the peak for his stuff, so it all worked out. She never complained too much about me collecting, but when she did see any of my PC she would look on it with disdain. Now I'm dating an amazing woman who I don't piss off, and while she isn't thrilled about the hobby, she was married to a guy in the business, so she knows a lot more than I do about the market in general. On top of that her ex is still in the business and has taken me under his wing in some ways which is very cool. She also has a wonderful eye for grading and has taught me to be better at it. My last submission brought back 9.5s in an '89 UD Randy Johnson, '91 UD Chipper Jones, '93 Stadium Club Murphy Derek Jeter, '09 Bowman Chrome DP Trout AU, '09 Bowman Chrome Refractor DP Wheeler AU, '09 Bowman Gold Refractor Chrome Hamilton, and 2 '12 Bowman Chrome Refractor DP Xander Bogaert AUs in no small part due to her tutelage (may my current January 20 Day group sub go half as well). So while she doesn't really like the hobby she supports my efforts to make a go at the business and supports me 100%. In my book this is a better trade up than I made in the spring of 1989 when I traded a '88 Score #645 Gregg Jefferies for a '82 Topps Traded #98T Cal Ripken!

ekuhockey13

Nov 13, 2008
Indianapolis,IN
My wife loves it .. she collects as well..she even asked Dustin Pedroia for his cracked bat after a game and he gave it to her and signed it.. She collects Redsoxs and JD Durbin. She Probley has the only Durbin collection out there.. She named one of our dogs Durbin.. but since he's gone down hill she turns collecting toward Redsox and Friends We made thru the years here in Indy.. There are about 7 players we over the years became friends with the closest Michel Hernandez... who we talk to still a few times a month.. and tells our 3 year old he's uncle Michel.. With all she collects she mainly doesn't care about my collecting as well..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Again, pathetic.

Why are people like that even married?

I hear you, and it is always a drag to see a couple hide things from each other...

But it's best not to judge other people's relationships.

It could be they disagree on collecting but have a great relationship in other ways. Or it could be that they have a terrible relationship, but are still better off than being alone :) Some people do better single, some people are better off in a relationship, even a flawed one. Different strokes...

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
My wife has been more understanding than I deserved.

Buying singles and wax became a daily addiction and nearly cost me everything that is important to me.

I sold off the majority of my collection last year for income and to help pay bills.

I stopped using my current work income and only buy from selling remaining parts of my collection. I still window shop eBay but haven't made a purchase in a month or 2. My purchases are now made as investments to turn a profit not to permanently keep.

I still enjoy the hobby without having the urge to spend every dime I have.

Good for you for getting out of that mess. That's good that you can still enjoy it -- a lot of times people that are obsessive about it like that have to treat it like an alcoholic treats alcohol.

It's definitely one of the weird, and under-reported things about America... all the people who, in various ways, spend themselves into bankruptcy. There is definitely something very addictive about collecting / purchasing things.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
What's more pathetic? The fact he's hiding it from her or the fact he's married to a wife that doesn't seem to support his hobby? Could be problems on both sides...

If you have to hind things from your spouse for whatever the reason you shouldn't be married.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If you have to hind things from your spouse for whatever the reason you shouldn't be married.

Some might subscribe to the saying what one doesn't know can't hurt them ;)

I don't when it comes to my marriage, just to be clear :)

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

I agree. But my question is, is it the guy's fault or his wife's? You never know. It could be maybe she was cool with it and now doesn't want him to collect much and she changed drastically about it after they got married. That can happen. And then he's stuck in between a rock and a hard place. All of a sudden it's either collect and keep it secret somewhat or get divorced. Over cards? The guy, if he loves his wife would have to be a fool to get divorced over something like that. But the fact thought that she might have pushed him into a corner by saying something so childish like she'd leave if he spent more than *** amount on cards is kinda dumb too. Or he could be one of those guys who spends way too much. Who knows. Either way it's sad. But that ball rolls both ways.

My take, if you do have to hide it from your woman, I'd take a break from cards, and take a real good look at your relationship and decide if the problem is you, or her. Or him. Or whatever. Then I'd make a move accordingly. Do you want to be miserable? Do you personally have a problem? What's the issue. Find it, and fix it if possible. I've seen marriages split up over autographs. Happened to a very close friend. He'd miss his kids soccer games to go auto chasing at games and events. It was sad. But I've also seen people get way out of line with the control freak stuff too.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
My wife tolerates it but does not like the money I spend. She likes to know which ones are the most valuable so she knows what to sell when I die.

My previous girlfriend liked the hobby. She was a Red Sox fan as well and was always interested in what I was getting.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Wow this is a huge part of some of your lives.

I have 6 4-row shoeboxes of cards, so storage space is no issue.

I spend around 20-30 minutes a day on card-related stuff, like surfing eBay and FCB.

My wife doesn't care how much I spend, because I'm the only one that works. On top of that, I'm not a jerk about it. I'll buy her a new steam cleaner and lawnmower before I buy cards.

She'll even bring my packages to the post office if I ask her to!

On top of all of that, she has convinced me not to sell everything at least twice in our 7 years together. I still plan to someday though.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
My wife knows I collect cards. She's good with it all because she say's it makes me happy. She stopped saying "you don't even follow sports". It gives me something to do in my spare time. I tell her before I buy something over $100.00 or more. I'll show her when I buy something that I think is cool (to me). Then she will give me that look. :rolleyes:

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
My wife is pretty supportive of my hobby of cards. When finances allow, she will pick up packs, blasters, a hobby box and surprise me as she knows what products I have collected over the years. She even has her own PC to a degree. Her best card is a quad patch card of Tom Glavine numbered 7/13.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I think my wife is much more concerned about the fact that I got out of collecting cards and have started collecting firearms and ammo instead. but the reality is passing down my collection is not an option because I have girls and they don't know or care about cards and I can have alot more fun out shooting and also the house is well protected.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I've been with my girlfriend for a little over 5 years now. When we started dating I was just really getting into the hobby. I had bought stuff before (2005-2006 mainly) got bored of it, and then got back into it once I was in high school (2009-2010) I'm not exactly sure what sparked the interest, but something did when we moved and I saw all of my cards from the middle school days. I'm now a senior in college, and I spend more than I should on cards, but I'd say about 75% of my funds come from selling off some stuff. There are times when I do spend other money on cards, which is mainly when I decide to get a box or two to rip, but she's supportive for the most part. She enjoys opening the packs with me, which at times is a little frustrating because she seems to pull the better cards if we open them together. Back when the 2011 value boxes were hot, she got me one for valentines day and insisted on opening it with me. She pulled a Freddie Freeman auto from the 2011 Update packs and I got a bunch of base. She also enjoys seeing the stuff I get in the mail, and for Christmas this past year she got me three brand new ROMLB to take to TwinsFest along with a 3'x5' flag to hang in my dorm room

Members online

No members online now.