Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frankie Montas suspended 80 games

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
In stunning news, Major League Baseball has issued an 80-game suspension to Athletics ace Frankie Montas for performance-enhancing drug use, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. Montas tested positive for banned substance Ostarine, according to Sam Dykstra of MLB.com.

Advertisement
“The A’s were disappointed upon learning of this suspension,” the team said in a statement. “We fully support MLB’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and we will welcome Frankie back after the discipline has been served.”

Montas issued a statement of his own (via MLBPA Communications), saying, in part, “While I never intended to take any prohibited substance, I unfortunately and unknowingly ingested a contaminated supplement that I had purchased over-the-counter at a nutrition store here in the United States.”

The 26-year-old added that he accepts responsibility for the ban and hopes to contribute to the A’s later in the season.

Montas, who’s earning $560K this year, won’t be paid during his suspension. More importantly for Oakland, though, he won’t be eligible for the postseason if the team clinches a berth. At 40-36, the A’s are just one game out of the AL’s second wild-card spot.

Advertisement
The A’s are in contention this season thanks in no small part to Montas, who performed like an ace in 2019 prior to this shocking development. In what will go down as his last start for at least a few months, the hard-throwing right-hander tossing eight innings of one-run, nine-strikeout ball in a win over the Rays on Thursday. It was the fourth straight quality start for Montas, owner of a sterling 2.70 ERA/2.86 FIP with 9.7 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 and a 50.8 percent groundball rate in 90 innings this season.

Should they stay in contention leading up to the July 31 trade deadline, the Athletics will have a chance to acquire starting help. However, it’s hard to believe anyone they’d acquire would make an impact similar to that of Montas, who’s near the top of the majors in most starting stats this year. The club does have important injury reinforcements working back – including Sean Manaea and Jesus Luzardo – who figure to make life easier for the Athletics once they return. However, any way you look at it, the loss of Montas is a devastating shot to the A’s rotation. It could have a significant effect on the AL playoff race as a result.

(Copied from Mlb TradeRumors)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency website:

Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S.

Yeah sure, Frankie, we believe you "bought this over the counter at a health food store in the United States."
Just admit you cheated and got caught and people will have more respect for you.

I wonder if players' lawyers or agents, or the Players Association, is telling players never to admit the truth for some reason.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
From the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency website:

Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S.

Yeah sure, Frankie, we believe you "bought this over the counter at a health food store in the United States."
Just admit you cheated and got caught and people will have more respect for you.

I wonder if players' lawyers or agents, or the Players Association, is telling players never to admit the truth for some reason.

Not as bad as the NFL where every player gets suspended for "adderall".

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
It is absurd how many people use the excuse "I didn't knowingly take anything" with all the resources at their disposal, but at some point shouldn't the unions of these various sports try to work with US anti doping, FDA and maybe some other institutions to more strictly regulate supplements and such? Being in track and field I go to some meets that there is a potential for a test so I've looked into this a little. The supplement industry is fairly unchecked. If I was paying dues to a supposedly powerful union I'd tell them to help out in that regard.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S., or in any other country. In recent years, WADA has reported an increasing number of positive tests involving SARMs, and athletes who use these substances most likely obtain them through black market channels.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Damn it Frankie, you just ****ed up my near perfect fantasy rotation!! Next season, try harder not to get caught...you should know by now that it's not considered cheating, just as long as you don't get caught.

My dynasty team is balls out crazy good this year...in fact, almost perfect. Riding a nine week winning streak with a 10-1 record overall. Losing Montas (and Paddack struggling) is really gonna hurt my dreams of winning 10 in a row. This is my leagues 5th season and it would be an all-time record. Already broke the record for points scored in a weekly matchup...need another a trophy record under my team's name!

Somehow I managed to make a thread about a doping pitcher who was having a breakout season all about my fantasy team. Please excuse my derailment, I just love bragging about the year I have (cuz I have no real-life friends to brag to and my imaginary ones are already worn out about it...sad face, sit on my facepalm, rosypalms, sad face)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I am surprised that after years of suspensions for various over the counter drugs, that the teams don't have a rule that you only get team approved additives.

Then if they are still found to have some in their system, that the team should be responsible.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016

Yeah, that was a year before I was born but come to think of it, I do believe I've seen an Investigation Discovery documentary or two on it before. They never caught the guy right?

I don't think cyanide contaminated Tylenol would be as fun as an opioid contaminated bottle of Tylenol though...just my opinion. Then again, I've never tried cyanide before, so who's to say? :cool:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Yeah, that was a year before I was born but come to think of it, I do believe I've seen an Investigation Discovery documentary or two on it before. They never caught the guy right?

I don't think cyanide contaminated Tylenol would be as fun as an opioid contaminated bottle of Tylenol though...just my opinion. Then again, I've never tried cyanide before, so who's to say? :cool:

If not now then when?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts

No they didn't catch the guy that did it. :(

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016

Based on this Yankees/Red Sox game, there must have been a lot of contaminated products down in the UK clubhouses

On another completely offtopic subject...

D.J. LeMahieu has been SUPER BOSS for my fantasy team this year!!! Glad I didn't trade him during his mediocre 2018 season. I knew he'd be flashing more power with that short porch in New York. And they say Colorado inflates power numbers....HA!