Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why Sterling? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Maybe I am missing something, but why in the heck did Sterling have sooo many re-treads in its product this year?

Just to name a few:

Taijuan Walker
Dylan Bundy
Archie Bradley

Among others

Why does Topps Continue to do this?

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
They have a set checklist and can't deviate from it, even if variety serves people buying a particular product the best.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hey, I'd rather pull a retread like Bundy than a "new" auto like Steve Clevenger or Eddie Butler. Comes down to demand I suppose.

While I understand your point, if I was holding onto last years Bundy's, or Bradley's, etc, I would be PISSED that they just watered down, and devalued the cards I bought last year from this product.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
While I understand your point, if I was holding onto last years Bundy's, or Bradley's, etc, I would be PISSED that they just watered down, and devalued the cards I bought last year from this product.

I don't think last years would be watered down or devalued at all. Most people who collect baseball want players true rookie autos, they always have and always will command a premium over autos released the next year.

They have to put in these bigger named prospects again just for recognition. Bigger names= bigger profit, even if that means using players from last years products.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

Although I hate the retreads I dont think it waters down anything. Its a nice card for the people who cant afford the first one. Its awful for a breaker though.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
OnCard autos for the win. We finally got what we all wanted. Sure a few stickers are still in the set but thats ok.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
OnCard autos for the win. We finally got what we all wanted. Sure a few stickers are still in the set but thats ok.

Drew, that is good point. What has it done for the conidition of the cards? Sterling has always been a graders paradise, has that changed? Jim, would be a good person to ask that question.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Not sure why you'd really be upset or surprised. Topps doesn't care if you make money on their cards really. And it isn't much different than veterans who have more and more autos released every year. Look at the price of Griffey autos 10 years ago to today. It happens for any player. At least you're holding the first one which should always be most desireable I would think. I could be way wrong and probably am, just my thoughts

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Drew, that is good point. What has it done for the conidition of the cards? Sterling has always been a graders paradise, has that changed? Jim, would be a good person to ask that question.

Boomo indicated that many of the rarer autograph parallels he pulled out of a case had surface problems.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft are marketed as "first Bowman auto!" products. Bowman Sterling is marketed as a "buttload of autos!" product. Putting good prospect autos in Sterling that aren't retreads from other sets decreases the number of "first Bowman auto" cards that can be made for Bowman and Bowman Chrome next year, which would make those sets suck. There are a finite number of good prospects in baseball at any one time.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Hey, I'd rather pull a retread like Bundy than a "new" auto like Steve Clevenger or Eddie Butler. Comes down to demand I suppose.

I even said this, when I busted my case of draft.....why some much love for Clevenger.....I seen some low number cards of his getting pulled. But really I'm a Cubs fan but not really sold on his hitting and catching ability.

marterburn

I even said this, when I busted my case of draft.....why some much love for Clevenger.....I seen some low number cards of his getting pulled. But really I'm a Cubs fan but not really sold on his hitting and catching ability.

Well he does have the potential to be the best backup catcher on a rebuilding team in the nl central, at least...

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts