Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

After 38 years in the hobby, I recently learned something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I am a kid of the 80's so therefore my best hobby memories come from that time as my collection consisted of nearly all cards from that period (with a bunch of late 70s as well).

So, with that said, I never ever got into cards from the 1960s and never sold them when I had my store and never had any interest in them for a PC.

But this past week I had to sort down tens of thousands of cards from the 1960s. And I learned something I never knew.

No one had facial hair. None. Zip.

So it got me looking on COMC and it appears that facial hair did not make its way somewhat frequently onto Topps cards until about 1974 (although sideburns started getting thick a couple years prior).

And then by 1976, it was on.

Nothing grand but to me, I'm pretty amazed that there are still things I don't know about the hobby.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Most teams had no facial hair policies in the 1960's handed down by team owners. Reggie Jackson fought for his mustache in 1972 and broke the ban, and facial hair made its return.

s-l800.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Most teams had no facial hair policies in the 1960's handed down by team owners. Reggie Jackson fought for his mustache in 1972 and broke the ban, and facial hair made its return.

Not to mention that Charlie Finley, owner of the A's at the time gave bonuses to players who grew mustaches as he wanted his team to look like old time ball players. It was for this reason that Rollie Fingers grew his now famous handlebar mustache which has become his trademark.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Wally Schang was apparently the last mustached player, in 1914, although I do recall seeing pictures of a 1930's-40's-era catcher with one.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I remember it being a big deal that Dave Parker had to shave his beard when he went to the Reds in 1984. I know this has been a topic before and there is a t206 card of a common that is hard to get because it shows a mustache. Not sure what the first Topps card showing one is, but Dick Allen has one a year prior in 71T.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
250px-Carl_Yastrzemski.png
BPbQsnnCEAEqfRC.jpg

Just culturally there were very few guys walking around with facial hair between 1910 and 1965 or so. Unless you were an actor in a period or war/rustic movie, or specifically Gabby Hayes, you shaved your whole face every day. I think that came out of WWI, where army regulations required daily shaving and the habit propagated for a couple generations through WWII. After baby boomers and the counter-culture started, it quickly took hold. But yeah, in the early 70s you see a slow transition from crewcuts to Rollie Fingers.

It's kind of fascinating to look at the crowds in old baseball cards, from the 50s and 60s. The crowds are almost all white, clean-shaven males, wearing white collared shirts with ties, and a lot of trilbies. Kids might be wearing ball caps, but you usually don't see them because so many photos were taken during day games when there was a good chance they were in school, or else just not in the good seats.

Members online