Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is what is on my front burner right now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
I saw a '63 sell for $2000. I haven't seen a '62 since I took over the set.

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
Wow I thought about trying a signed 72 set and I think I'm only at 65/787 and pretty much gave up. That's awesome to see. Thanks for sharing!

My dad had the same thought. Hodges died like 3 months after his card came out. I think Clemente died like 8 or 9 months after printing. Then you have ultra sad cases like Jim McGlothlin. Effing cancer in your Twenties? Unfair.

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
That's insane.

I was lucky enough to get Ed Yost on a 62 before he passed. It turned out kinda cool.

I asked why he chose the '62's. His response: At 14 they were the coolest thing he had ever seen.

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
It is quite the set. The design is one that sticks in your mind, with the wood-grain appearance.

Agreed. I prefer the '60 topps above all else. I've been toying with the idea of an auto set. I have the absolute key to it. The Jim Umbricht. But once again you run into Clemente, Farrell, Hoak, Hodges, etc..

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Ken Hubbs '62 NL ROY & Gold Glove. Killed '64 when the plane he was piloting crashed.

My dad loves Ken Hubbs and would tell me stories about Hubbs when I was growing up. Said he was like Sandberg defensively, but with more range. He believes that if Hubbs had stayed alive, the Cubs might have made the playoffs with one of those stacked teams back in the late 1960s. Tough to say whether Hubbs' bat would have developed further with time, but I'm guessing he would have ended up being a Glenn Beckert/Don Kessinger type player, both of whom were multiple time All Star Game participants.

Hubbs has an excellent Wikipedia page for those who are interested:

Ken Hubbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Great set! I owned the 62 & 63 Hubbs signed cards for a short period. Such a tragic end to a player with so much talent.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Agreed. I prefer the '60 topps above all else. I've been toying with the idea of an auto set. I have the absolute key to it. The Jim Umbricht. But once again you run into Clemente, Farrell, Hoak, Hodges, etc..

The 1960 set is very nice too. I love that design.

They turn out so nice when the players sign them.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Excellent card set!! That is very impressive.

Who do you need yet as I have about 15 or so 1962 Topps cards that are vintage signed. Off the top of my head I have the Mathews, Burdette, Spahn and a few others. Let me know as I would love to contribute something to a set as cool as that.

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
Excellent card set!! That is very impressive.

Who do you need yet as I have about 15 or so 1962 Topps cards that are vintage signed. Off the top of my head I have the Mathews, Burdette, Spahn and a few others. Let me know as I would love to contribute something to a set as cool as that.

I'll check. I'm willing to bet I have it. What year is it from? They are all catalogued by year. My dads goal was to have one of each set ever produced from 52 -75. His area of expertise was oddball and regionals.

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
I'll check. I'm willing to bet I have it. What year is it from? They are all catalogued by year. My dads goal was to have one of each set ever produced from 52 -75. His area of expertise was oddball and regionals.
[MENTION=2442]mchenrycards[/MENTION] That last post was about the post cards. I'll look.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts