Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Any shops near downtown SF? Like most big cities, I'm guessing no but I figured I'd ask since I'll be at a convention near Union Square next week. Also, any suggestions for pre/post-game beers near the stadium? We've got tickets for next Tuesday's game against the Padres. Thanks in advance.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Any shops near downtown SF? Like most big cities, I'm guessing no but I figured I'd ask since I'll be at a convention near Union Square next week. Also, any suggestions for pre/post-game beers near the stadium? We've got tickets for next Tuesday's game against the Padres. Thanks in advance.

As big of a Giants fan as I am, I only get out to 1 game a year, and I don't linger in the surrounding area before or after. While in the park, if you're looking for something tasty that's not a hot-dog, make sure you go get it before the 6th inning, because things start running out.

Oh, and be sure to download the "At The Ballpark" app for your phone. It'll give you a pretty good map of where everything is so you don't go wandering aimlessly (unless you want to).

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Being the big Rockies fan that I am I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend sweep. All the offensive prowess given to Coors Field never gets the reverse press that AT&T Park should receive. It's the anti-Coors Field and I'd argue it gives the Giants a much better competitive advantage over the course of a season than any offensive ballpark does the home team.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I'd venture to say that Romo's implosions in Friday and Saturday's games could have been averted if Pagan was paying attention. He threw to the wrong base twice on Friday, allowing runners to advance, and on Saturday he misplayed the liner that turned into the inside-the-park homer. Sunday's mess can be put mostly on the pen, but in all his defensive brilliance, Craw failed to turn two.

That being said, Giants should have scored a lot more runs in Sunday's game. 9 guys left on base in the first 4 innings.

True, Craw did blow it, and so did Morse. Leaving 12 on total for the game was a shame. Sucked having a lead in all three games and not coming out with a win. Was odd sitting there looking at the center field tron, and seeing so many .300 hitters on colorados side, and a lot of our players not reaching .200.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Being the big Rockies fan that I am I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend sweep. All the offensive prowess given to Coors Field never gets the reverse press that AT&T Park should receive. It's the anti-Coors Field and I'd argue it gives the Giants a much better competitive advantage over the course of a season than any offensive ballpark does the home team.

Yeah, I bet you liked it. ;)

AT&T favors pitching, but when comparing park factors, Coors is on another planet.

2014 Park Factors: (>100 favors hitters, <100 favors pitchers)
CO: 117 batting, 117 pitching
LA: 102 batting, 101 pitching
AZ: 101 batting, 102 pitching
SF: 99 batting, 98 pitching
SD: 94 batting, 95 pitching

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
True, Craw did blow it, and so did Morse. Leaving 12 on total for the game was a shame. Sucked having a lead in all three games and not coming out with a win. Was odd sitting there looking at the center field tron, and seeing so many .300 hitters on colorados side, and a lot of our players not reaching .200.

2nd base is a problem Hick's 0fer-or-gopher approach has yielded a lot more "0fers" than "gophers" lately. Arias is not a starter, and Adrianza's presence on the team is questionable. Giants brass say he's here because he can contribute at the big-league level, but most of the writers speculate that the Giants think they can trade him at some point. He's out of options, so there's no where to put him except for DFA or the bench. If they really think they'll get value for him, then it won't be via first-come-first-serve on the DFA list.

Still, it's odd for Sabean and Evans to carry dead weight on the team for half a season with the hopes that someone will call.

Meanwhile, Joe Panik is putting up quality numbers down in Fresno.

Well, when Belt gets back, the offence should get an instant boost.

So, think the Giants should call the Cubs about Jeff Samardzija? The price would likely be Crick + Susac.

Last edited:

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA

Not many shops in SF proper. Try Comics and Cards Central on Geary Ave. It's in the Inner Richmond neighborhood, but has a decent amount of wax, and a lot of wax from years past. If you don't see it, ask - they have a HUGE storage room full of cases and boxes. Plus, they'll haggle. If you have a car, there are tons of shops up and down the peninsula.

As for drinks before/after the game, if you don't hit any of the places that are right around the park (Pete's, Pedro's, Public House, etc.) there are lots of places a few blocks away. HiDive is where I usually go before or after since it's on my walk home.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Adam Duvall's name keeps coming up. He's hitting very well in AAA Fresno (.294/.357/.634, 22 hr, 64 rbi in 60 games), but as we know from guys like Brett Pill, John Bowker, and Todd Linden, hitting well in Fresno doesn't translate to hitting well in SF.

Still, to avoid having Perez and Blanco in the same outfield, it might be worth it to try Duvall at 1st and move Morse back to LF.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Yeah, they've got a 4 game lead in the West, but WTF is this crap? Dropping 9 of 10?

All that "magic" they had going at the start of the season has flipped into it's inverse. Regression, nuclear style.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
It is terrible the way they are playing now. They are missing Belt and Pagan a lot at this point. Hicks is dead weight, cant make contact, and Blanco in the lineup is like adding a pitcher to your batting order.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Giants just called up 2nd baseman Joe Panik. Juan Perez optioned to Fresno to make room on the 25 man, Jake Dunning DFA'ed to make room on the 40 man.

He's been posting a slash of .321/.382/.447 in Fresno. Hopefully he'll remind us more of healthy Freddy Sanchez or Marco Scutaro, as opposed to Frandsen/Burriss/Noonan/etc.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
August 17th is this years "Giants trading card day" promotion, this time sponsored by Coca-Cola.

Since 1983, they've had some sort of "Giants card day" promotion (skipped in 2004 for some reason). Mother's Cookies was the sponsor from 1983-1998, then Keebler from 1999-2003, Emerald Nuts from 2004-2012, then Chevron in 2013. Looks like Coke is getting 2014.

Anyone else collect these?

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Angel Pagan to the DL.

Adam Duvall, come on down. Duvall's power numbers in Fresno are pretty impressive, but it's Fresno, where Todd Linden, John Bowker, and Brett Pill were gods.

I imagine that he'll be seeing most of his playing time at 1st base, moving Morse to the outfield. I guess that means Boch will have to figure out how to platoon a pair of lefty hitters (Blanco and Colvine) in CF?

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
4 and 14 since the Mets series, with downward momentum of a meteorite. How big will this crater be?

During this skid, Romo's blown 3 of 5 save chances. In one game, a 3 run lead was blow in the 8th.

Still, 10 of those losses were the starting pitching getting shelled or the offence getting silenced.

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
August 17th is this years "Giants trading card day" promotion, this time sponsored by Coca-Cola.

Since 1983, they've had some sort of "Giants card day" promotion (skipped in 2004 for some reason). Mother's Cookies was the sponsor from 1983-1998, then Keebler from 1999-2003, Emerald Nuts from 2004-2012, then Chevron in 2013. Looks like Coke is getting 2014.

Anyone else collect these?

I've tried to pick up a couple copies of the coaches card every year since Roberto Kelly, and then Hensley Meulens joined the team. Occasionally I'm forced to buy complete sets because it takes months for anyone to be willing to break them down.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Giants scale the mountain, and when everyone was looking, they just jumped off. Exhibitionist suicide.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
OK, this is twice in the past week (that i have noticed) where Panik gets in the way of Pence trying to catch a ball. The Giants have an exceptional right fielder with speed. Someone needs to tell Panik to stick to playing second.

Maybe draw a line in the right field grass that says No Panik Crossing...

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Maybe draw a line in the right field grass that says No Panik Crossing...

Since it sounds like Scutaro is close to coming back ("3 more games with Fresno, then back to SF", was the word yesterday), who do you think goes away to make room for Scoots? Giants will have to clear a 40-man spot for him, so someone's going to have to get DFA'ed.

Maybe Hicks? He's gone 1 for 31 (with 5 walks) since the Mets series last month.

Hmm, since that Mets series, the Giants regulars are looking like...

Pence: 27 games, .324/.353/.477, 3 hr, 8 RBI
Posey: 26 games, .312/.353/.462, 1 hr, 12 RBI
Panda: 25 games, .301/.362/.434, 2 hr, 10 RBI
Morse: 25 games, .267/.315/.360, 1 hr, 4 RBI
Craw: 26 games, .217/.309/.349, 0 hr, 4 RBI
Colvin: 22 games, .222/.259/.389, 1 hr, 10 RBI
Blanco: 27 games, .189/.252/.253, 1 hr, 3 RBI

Members online