Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Becketts for Sale - crazy prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
At one time, I was very much interested in all the various collecting magazines that were flooding the market in the 90s. Of course, Beckett was always one of the leaders and certainly one of the longest, if not the longest running magazine, even with all the changes. I had tried to pick up cheap older copies that I missed, but they were either beat up and used or they were just not worth the shipping cost (I might find 6 I need, but from 6 different sellers, all wanting $3-5 each to ship one).

It seems you can't hardly give magazines away these days, but people sure seem to try hard at selling them. I don't know if any of the people trying are having much success beyond an occasional player collector or set collecting filling in gaps, but I have to think not at anything above "giveaway" prices. I know my favorite local shop sells old issues for a buck and they sit and take up floor space so much so that they are all tucked under a table and invisible to anyone who doesn't already know they are there.

Today I was on COMC and I only know they sell them now because someone has some sort of printer proof Garvey cover that I had mild interest in, but not at the $50 asking price! I decided to check and see what other Becketts were on the site and almost crapped myself when I saw some of the prices. Not one Beckett is priced under $2.99! Many are double digits and top out at $50 (6 others besides that Garvey at the $50 ask point)!!!

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Publications/1984-Now/Beckett_Baseball,sl,i100

All I can say to that is WTF?!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
that's why they are for sale and not already sold.

you can ask anything if it's for sale. The price only matters if it's actually sold.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Still so many memories and so much bad-assness on those old covers. When my friend or I would acquire the latest issue after a long family trip into the big city the first thing we'd do is call each other on the old rotary land-line phone and discuss who made the cover

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Still so many memories and so much bad-assness on those old covers. When my friend or I would acquire the latest issue after a long family trip into the big city the first thing we'd do is call each other on the old rotary land-line phone and discuss who made the cover

42e87278ca2d0d7dcc566b7af920e99e.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I collect just about any "vintage" card magazine too.

But nearly all of them I have bought in person at shows for pocket change.

I only recall buying one huge lot on eBay years ago and even with shipping came to little.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bob M

Dec 7, 2014
Surfside Beach SC
I used to buy the "Street and Smith Baseball Yearbook" and any other baseball mags that came out including the card magazines, and I still have a big pile of them. One of the S&S from the early 70s has Pete Rose on the cover, and inside he talks about how great it is to get paid for doing something he would do for free, and how money is not important to him. That was right before he held out for $100K!!! These old magazines are apparently not worth much as collectables, but I still get hours of enjoyment reading them. I guess they aren't worth anything because there is no price guide for price guides!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
At one time, I was very much interested in all the various collecting magazines that were flooding the market in the 90s. Of course, Beckett was always one of the leaders and certainly one of the longest, if not the longest running magazine, even with all the changes. I had tried to pick up cheap older copies that I missed, but they were either beat up and used or they were just not worth the shipping cost (I might find 6 I need, but from 6 different sellers, all wanting $3-5 each to ship one).

It seems you can't hardly give magazines away these days, but people sure seem to try hard at selling them. I don't know if any of the people trying are having much success beyond an occasional player collector or set collecting filling in gaps, but I have to think not at anything above "giveaway" prices. I know my favorite local shop sells old issues for a buck and they sit and take up floor space so much so that they are all tucked under a table and invisible to anyone who doesn't already know they are there.

Today I was on COMC and I only know they sell them now because someone has some sort of printer proof Garvey cover that I had mild interest in, but not at the $50 asking price! I decided to check and see what other Becketts were on the site and almost crapped myself when I saw some of the prices. Not one Beckett is priced under $2.99! Many are double digits and top out at $50 (6 others besides that Garvey at the $50 ask point)!!!

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Publications/1984-Now/Beckett_Baseball,sl,i100

All I can say to that is WTF?!

Some of the very early Becketts are incredibly rare, so they should sell for a decent amount. Joel****show has a bunch of the common ones for $48.85, but he's as worthless as those Becketts are. Everything he sells gets listed for $50 if he's the only one selling it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't know if the first Becketts would be considered incredibly rare, but they are harder to find these days. They were flimsy and easier to damage than the later issues and people may not have been tucking them away as their own collectible quite yet. I still need maybe 25 or so for a complete run of the first 200 (might be 300…i can't remember), but I still wouldn't pay much more than a buck per for any one of them other than the first 5-6 issues (most are issue 30 or under). i think I only need 2 of the "card covers" before they started featuring full color/cover player photos instead of a few cards.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
which ones do you need? I've got a lot of early 2000s I found in my attic that I'd let go for cheap

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Don't recall ever seeing one of these for sale before.

Just picked it up for .50 along with nine other "vintage" card magazines.

1429455133139.jpg1429455173541.jpg

Literal up and down arrows and mariano was 1.25

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd have to try to find my list. After not finding any for a reasonable price for a while, I moved on to other needs especially since this was not a serious want for me to begin with (magazines just take up so much space). Most are mid-late 80s though and a few here and there either that i lost or were between subscription periods.

which ones do you need? I've got a lot of early 2000s I found in my attic that I'd let go for cheap

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I have a slew I've picked up over the years. I'd love to get some some signed but haven't yet. Now I only pick up the new one every year or so(that's about all you really need), and any featuring Astros players. Also have the Josh Beckett cover too which proved to be hard to locate.

Members online