Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I sold one of these without a serial number for around 400ish I think. I got the unnumbered in a trade with a trade value of $50, as set by the guy I was trading with.

interesting, says here not numbered, I'm sure they are /300 .........no?
[h=3]A Piece of the Action Rookie Edition[/h] Randomly seeded into Rookie Edition packs, each of these cards featured a jersey swatch embedded on the card. The design is identical to that of the Series Two cards; however, the "window" where the bat chip was located in the second series is now just a design element. Ken Griffey, Jr. signed 24 of these cards and they were inserted into the packs as well. Stated production runs are listed, however the cards are not serial-numbered.
BG Ben Grieve JSY 200
JC Jose Cruz, Jr. JSY 200
KG Ken Griffey, Jr. JSY 300
TL Travis Lee JSY 200
KGS Ken Griffey, Jr. AU/JSY 24

Blane

Oct 13, 2012
interesting, says here not numbered, I'm sure they are /300 .........no?
A Piece of the Action Rookie Edition

Randomly seeded into Rookie Edition packs, each of these cards featured a jersey swatch embedded on the card. The design is identical to that of the Series Two cards; however, the "window" where the bat chip was located in the second series is now just a design element. Ken Griffey, Jr. signed 24 of these cards and they were inserted into the packs as well. Stated production runs are listed, however the cards are not serial-numbered.
BG Ben Grieve JSY 200
JC Jose Cruz, Jr. JSY 200
KG Ken Griffey, Jr. JSY 300
TL Travis Lee JSY 200
KGS Ken Griffey, Jr. AU/JSY 24

They are serial numbered...at least mine is.

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
The top one wasn't in 1997, it was released later, maybe 2007 or 2008?

Any clue on scarcity?Or is this one of those rare MagicPapa issues. Haha

Dusty-Welcome!I have one whole patch/auto,that I got off Ebay.I do more 90's stuff personally.A bunch of these guys have crazy collections,and very informative.Good on your last 4!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Guys, I have a 1995 Pinnacle Pins redeemed pin that I purchased from Magic a few years back. I upgraded to one in the original wrapper. If you've got any hard to find Thomas items for trade and are interested, shoot me a PM.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Does anyone know what uniform the Griffey is wearing in Five Star, specifically the retired autographs? I'd think it would be Mariners, but can't find a pic because its a redemption. Also, is it in his blue or green?

Thanks

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
Well not his green, but the uniform where royal blue wasn't the main color...you know what I mean

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
Well, all of his other five star cards have Jr. In his blue M's uni (base, base parallels, dual auto book and silver sigs - all have been live on ebay). Stands to reason that his retired auto would be Mariners as well.

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
okay, cool... thanks Friar. Yeah I figured they would be Mariners. I'm also excited to see what his 2013 Tribute autographs look like.

AK11

May 24, 2010
My first Griffey rookie:

griffeyFleerGlossyRookiegmmt_zps876d1cf1.jpg

It has taken me way too long to buy a Junior rookie, considering he was my favorite athlete for a decade growing up in the 90s. The population report is not ever growing on this one unlike his UD, Topps Traded, Donruss, etc.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
[h=2]1989 Sports Collectors Digest needed.....[/h]
Does anyone have any old Sports Collectors Digest magazines from around Sept 1989 to November 1989 with a Thanksgiving Weekend Moeller High School (Cincinnati, Ohio) Show advertisement in it? It advertised Ken Griffey Jr as an autograph guest (he was there) as that was the high school he attended in Cincy.

I remember the next to no line for his autograph. He and his Dad were seated together and no one was in line for his Dad either. It seemed weird at the time as Fleer, Donruss and Upper Deck rushed out cards in their regular issues (Topps waited until their Traded set), you would think the lines would have been stacked for hours.

PM me is you can help!

Thank You,

Fordman​

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
My first Griffey rookie:

griffeyFleerGlossyRookiegmmt_zps876d1cf1.jpg

It has taken me way too long to buy a Junior rookie, considering he was my favorite athlete for a decade growing up in the 90s. The population report is not ever growing on this one unlike his UD, Topps Traded, Donruss, etc.

Congrats on your popped cherry! now go have a smoke :)

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida
Hi guys, My name is Dusty and I just found this thread and have been reading it for hourse and hours. You all have some amazing collections and I've enjoyed looking through all of your photos of rare cards. I have been collecting Griffey since 1989 as a kid and then sporatcially the rest of my life with periods of absolute obsession. I had my collection up to 4000 different cards before life has put me in a spot where I needed to sell off the majority. I can't bring myself to sell everything and am holding on to my 1/1's. I'm hoping that maybe someone here can help me out. I am trying to put together a 1-100 set of the 2008 SPx American Hero Boxscore's 1/1. I've dealt with Flarick before who really got me going on this collection. I am currently 4 cards short of completing it and I have ran out of idea's of how to find these last 4. I still need #'s KG12, KG56, KG58 & KG63. Do any of you have these cards? And if so would you be wlling to sell them? I look forward to following this thread and continuing to see all the great cards you all put up- Dusty

Hi Dusty, I've got 2 complete sets of these and am going to break up one of them. I'm traveling now but will be back in a couple of weeks. Will contact you then regarding the 4 you need. Anyone else who is looking for any of the 100 can PM me.

dusty_dd3

Mar 3, 2013
Thanks Rick that would be amazing. I'll send you an e-mail about the cards. This is going to be the longest few weeks ever now!

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
Hi Dusty, I've got 2 complete sets of these and am going to break up one of them. I'm traveling now but will be back in a couple of weeks. Will contact you then regarding the 4 you need. Anyone else who is looking for any of the 100 can PM me.

Great job Rick! Way to look out for another collector. That's why I love this thread.

Members online

Latest posts