Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"The Pine Tar Incident"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
If it blurs, can't you "redo" the lines?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The tar is quite workable, so yes, I could redo them. I think it would be a nightmare to perform maintenance on a piece of artwork though.

The pine tar may never dry completely, especially since you applied it so thick.
I have a couple of game-used bats from the '80s that are still sticky, and there's hardly any pine tar on them.
I'd imagine your thickly applied pine tar piece will remain sticky for decades as well.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

I have no idea but possibly low dry heat in a kiln. Might dry it out.

I guess I didn't think of a kiln before I started - I applied the tar on a paper-based foamboard. It's quite sturdy, but would turn to ash in a kiln.

From how far away can you smell that bad boy?

It's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. My studio is in a well-ventilated garage, so that could explain the low odor.

I think I am going to try to have it sealed in acrylic. It may cause the final image to be a bit dull, but who knows - it may turn into a "beautiful mistake." I'll update this thread with a final image of the piece after my attempt to preserve it. Thanks for bouncing your ideas - and thanks again for allowing me to share my work.

Tim

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I always enjoy seeing your artwork.

Pine tar is actually a viscous liquid, and, as you have found out, will flow over time. The suggestions to heat the pine tar will not dry or set the pine tar, but will actually cause the pine tar to become less viscous and flow more easily until it cools. I am curious to see if encasing it in acrylic will have your desired effect.

To see an even more extreme example of something that appears to be solid, but is actually an extremely viscous liquid, take a look at The Pitch Drop Experiment | School of Mathematics and Physics.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
What about vacuum sealing into a glass frame, similar to the way they store bugs, butterflies & newspapers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
I always enjoy seeing your artwork.

Pine tar is actually a viscous liquid, and, as you have found out, will flow over time. The suggestions to heat the pine tar will not dry or set the pine tar, but will actually cause the pine tar to become less viscous and flow more easily until it cools. I am curious to see if encasing it in acrylic will have your desired effect.

To see an even more extreme example of something that appears to be solid, but is actually an extremely viscous liquid, take a look at The Pitch Drop Experiment | School of Mathematics and Physics.

Thanks! In my best Jesse Pinkman voice........."YEAH! SCIENCE!!"

I'll keep you updated if I try the acrylic seal.

What about vacuum sealing into a glass frame, similar to the way they store bugs, butterflies & newspapers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Interesting....but I'm not sure the vacuum seal will be enough to counteract gravity on the tar.

Just a guess, but would a dehumidifier help by removing any water?

I have heard this suggestion from a couple of people that deal in horses. They swear that if the humidity is removed, the tar won't run. They say it will always be sticky (as we already know), but the tar should stay in place.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again......

Tim

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Dirt. Dirt dries out pine tar and allows you to coat it. Obviously you wouldn't do that to this piece but that is how we dry out pine tar on bats when playing baseball. So maybe had you layered it like thin coat of tar, dirt, coat of tar, dirt it possibly would have been less sticky.

Members online