Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Was asked an interesting question the other day about perfect games......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Me and my wife were watching the E:60 about perfect games the other night, and she asked me if any MLB player has ever thrown a perfect game by striking out every batter.

I said no. I don't know that's the case for fact, but I find it highly unlikely. At the end of the show, during the credits a kid was on there and said he threw an 8 (maybe less) inning perfect game with every out being a strike out.

My question is what is the record for strikeouts in a perfect game?

I can't imagine it's in the 20's.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
21 strikeouts in a game. Number of occurrences: 1.[18] Tom Cheney, September 12, 1962. (Pitched 16 innings).

20 strikeouts in a nine-inning game. Number of occurrences: 5. Roger Clemens 1986 and 1996 struckout 20. Most recently, Kerry Wood, May 6, 1998. In 2001, Randy Johnson also struck out 20 in a 9-inning start, but the game went on to extra innings.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
21 strikeouts in a game. Number of occurrences: 1.[18] Tom Cheney, September 12, 1962. (Pitched 16 innings).

20 strikeouts in a nine-inning game. Number of occurrences: 5. Roger Clemens 1986 and 1996 struckout 20. Most recently, Kerry Wood, May 6, 1998. In 2001, Randy Johnson also struck out 20 in a 9-inning start, but the game went on to extra innings.

I know there have been 20 K's in a game before, just didn't know if it had ever occurred in a perfecto.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
I believe Matt Cain's 13 set or tied the mark.

Tim

EDIT: I looked it up....correction: Sandy Koufax K'd 14 in his 1965 PG against the Cubbies.

Last edited:

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Crazy. I was thinking about this exact topic the other day. Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
That record is gonna fall when tanaka k's 22 in his first perfect game ;)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
Oh geezzzzzz everyone sets records againt my cubbies. :lol:

Haha.....thing is, I believe Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game is perhaps the most dominant single-game performance in history (even above the perfect games). Since he was not perfect (hit batsman, ground ball single off of the 3rd baseman's glove), it obviously isn't the most efficient. That Astros lineup was pretty solid, and he had them wailing all day. Only 7 balls were put in play against him, and one of those was a sacrifice bunt by the pitcher. He finished up by K'ing 8 of the last 9 Astros.

Tim

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
If both happened on the same day, which one would rank higher....

A perfect game with 27 strikeouts, or a perfect game on 27 pitches?

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009

For me, it would easily be the 27 strikeout game. 1) No balls put in play - total dominance. 2) it not only would be a perfect game, but it would shatter the single game strikeout record as well. 3) Guys like Dallas Braden and Philip Humber have a shot at throwing one on 27 pitches (which still will never happen) - but it would take the stud of all studs to sit everyone down on strikeouts.

Tim

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
For me, it would easily be the 27 strikeout game. 1) No balls put in play - total dominance. 2) it not only would be a perfect game, but it would shatter the single game strikeout record as well. 3) Guys like Dallas Braden and Philip Humber have a shot at throwing one on 27 pitches (which still will never happen) - but it would take the stud of all studs to sit everyone down on strikeouts.

Tim

This is my logic as well

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
How about a perfect game with 27 ks on 81 pitches

Its just funny how in a perfect game, the pitcher gets the "perfect game"
but all it takes is an error to make a perfect game unperfect.
and spectacular plays to keep it a perfect game...

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Was just going to post that. What a stud...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

27 strikeouts = amazing pitching
27 pitches = horrible batting

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Haha.....thing is, I believe Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game is perhaps the most dominant single-game performance in history (even above the perfect games). Since he was not perfect (hit batsman, ground ball single off of the 3rd baseman's glove), it obviously isn't the most efficient. That Astros lineup was pretty solid, and he had them wailing all day. Only 7 balls were put in play against him, and one of those was a sacrifice bunt by the pitcher. He finished up by K'ing 8 of the last 9 Astros.

Tim

And the hit easily could have been an error.

Latest posts