Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Call To Arms Historical Showdown Contest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=11284]Bootstraps9[/MENTION], [MENTION=1953]Musial Collector[/MENTION], [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION], [MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION], [MENTION=2360]sportscardtheory[/MENTION], [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION], [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION], [MENTION=1928]Y4NK335[/MENTION], [MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION], [MENTION=2612]Johnny G[/MENTION], [MENTION=9090]gojacks63[/MENTION], [MENTION=11150]Techniq[/MENTION], [MENTION=2352]rickeyfanatic[/MENTION], [MENTION=6194]Hendersonfan[/MENTION], [MENTION=5359]clarkzac[/MENTION], [MENTION=1893]Weatherwarrior[/MENTION], [MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION], [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], [MENTION=7946]maxe0213[/MENTION], [MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION], [MENTION=9059]theacox[/MENTION], [MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION], [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION], [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION], [MENTION=2090]TNP777[/MENTION], [MENTION=2122]robertwolf1[/MENTION], [MENTION=4937]alexs64[/MENTION], [MENTION=2196]Ashburn Alley[/MENTION], [MENTION=10072]Juan Gris[/MENTION]

Welcome to the Call to Arms Historical Showdown!

Please take a few minutes to read through this post. If you have any questions whatsoever, I am happy to answer them.

Scoring each of your games should only take you 5 or 10 minutes tops, but it is imperative that everyone takes the time to do this.

If we make this a collaborative effort, everything will go smoothly, while maximizing the excitement/suspense as the season unfolds!

Also, anyone can spot check the accuracy of any outcome. Honest mistakes are inevitable, but any errors should be reported as soon as possible.

The first week's schedule will be posted by Jan 12th, and will include 5 matchups for each team.

The season will conclude the week ending Feb 21st.

The playoffs will conclude the week ending Mar 7th.

Good luck, and again, please ask if you have any questions.

FORMAT

This is a 30 team head-to-head league based on historical boxscores, with a heavy emphasis on pitcher performance.

The main league is split into two 15 team leagues (just like MLB is comprised of the AL and NL). Each league is further split into three 5 team divisions.

Battle for the playoffs by either winning your division outright or qualifying as 1 of 6 wild cards (3 from each league).

Win your league to advance to the *Cyclone Series Championship for all the glory...and a pretty sweet prize to boot.

Several other prizes available as well.

*Cyclone pays homage to an all-time great pitcher.

As commissioner, I will also field a team. However, I will not be part of any division, nor will I be eligible for the playoffs or (obviously) prizes.

Full details below.

LEAGUE

Each league is comprised of 15 randomly assigned teams. Each league pays homage to another legendary pitcher, while each division pays homage to 1 of 6 notable pitch types, past and present.

As mentioned, each team will play 30 head-to-head games, 15 "road" and 15 "home". There is a home field advantage element built into the game. See Scoring Chart.

league.jpg

HOW TO PLAY

When you joined, you posted three random numbers between 1 and 30. Each number has a specific meaning as to how you will start the season. As commissioner, my numbers are simply the average of everyone else's (8,14,22).

From this point on, the 1st number will be referred to as "A", the 2nd will be "B", and the 3rd will be "C".

"A" refers to the rank of a franchise in all-time wins
"B" refers to the rank of all-time single season wins for that franchise
"C" refers to a single game from the season identified in "B".

Example:

My season starts with 8,14,22.

So,

A=8: The New York Yankees rank 8th all-time in wins
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/
*Be sure to sort by wins

B=14: The Yankees' 14th winningest season was in 2004
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/
*Be sure to sort by wins

C=22: The Yankees' 22th game in 2004 was April 29th
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2004-schedule-scores.shtml

For Game 1 of the season, I would refer to the New York Yankees boxscore on April 29th, 2004 to score my team.

As you progress through the season, the "ABC" numbers for each game will be increased by the following for each game:

A=1
B=3
C=5

Since I have 8,14,22 to start the season, I would have 9,17,27 for Game 2, 10,20,32 for Game 3, etc...

The length of the season guarantees that every major league team will have an influence on your overall record.

NOTES:

For "A", once you get to 30, go back to 1 for the next game.

For "B", if you go through every year the franchise has been in existence, continue counting from the top of the list until you are 3 higher than the previous B number.

For "C", if you go through the last game of the season in question, continue counting from the top of the list until you are 5 higher than the previous C number.

Boxscores are generally only available from 1915-present. If your "B" number refers to a team before 1915, simply go down the list to the next available season for the same franchise that is 1915-present.

REGULAR SEASON

Each regular season game will pit two teams together, based on the ABC numbers they are currently assigned.

I will make a chart for all 30 teams and their ABC numbers for each game for quick reference.

Simply locate the appropriate box score and score it according to the chart below. If you can score/post both teams, that would be greatly appreciated. It won't take much time at all.

The schedule will be released 5 games at a time to promote suspense and to prevent eager teams from working too far ahead.

The team with the highest score earns a win, while the other team takes the loss.

In the event of a tie, the home team always wins.

SCHEDULE

http://cjedmonton.webs.com/Call to Arms/Games 1-5.jpg

ABC NUMBERS

http://cjedmonton.webs.com/Call to Arms/ABC.xls

SCORING CHART

Once you locate the correct boxscore on Baseball-Reference.com, score your team based on the following categories:

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed)
Strikeouts: 1 each
Complete Game: 5 points
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points
HOF Pitcher Start: 5 points
HOF Pitcher Win: 10 points
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: -1 point each

Do the same for your opponent, if possible.

The winning/losing streak and games back info can be found on the main schedule and results page for the team/year in question.

Streaks are on the far right side and are marked with a "+" for wins and a "-" for losses.

Games back is the "GB" columns.

PLAYOFFS

At the end of 30 games, each team who has the best record in their division automatically qualifies for the playoffs, and is awarded a bye until the divisional round.

Every team who placed 2nd in their division will earn a wild card berth.

All six qualifying teams from each league will be seeded 1-6.

The division winners will be seeded 1-3, in order of best record.

The wild card teams will be seeded 4-6, in order of best record.

For any tie, the higher seed will be given to the team who won the head-to-head matchup during the season.

3rd-5th place fail to qualify for the playoffs, but may be eligible for a consolation prize. See that section for details.

PLAYOFF SCHEDULE

Wild Card Qualifier (Single game. 5 is the home team)
5 vs. 6

Wild Card Round (Best of 3. 4 is the home team for Games 1 and 3)
4 vs. 5/6 winner

Divisional Round (Best of 5. 1 and 2 are the home team for Games 1,2,5)
4/5/6 winner vs. 1
2 vs. 3

League Championship (Best of 7. Highest seed team at home for Games 1,2,6,7)
1/4/5/6 winner vs. 2/3 winner

Cyclone Series Championship (Best of 9. Team with best regular season record at home for Games 1,2,3,7,9)
Big Six Winner vs. Big Train winner

PRIZES

Gold: The Cyclone Series Champion may choose one of the following:

-1 year subscription to MLB.TV
-PSA graded vintage card from a team of the winner's choice (pre-1970)
-Leather wallet lined with part of an authentic MLB uniform (limited availability)
-2 tickets to a 2015 MLB game from a team of the winner's choice (subject to availability)
-MLB goodie bag from a team of the winner's choice
-Ebay gift certificate (lower value than other gold tier prizes, but higher denomination than the silver tier gift certificate)
-Any 2 items from the silver tier

------------------

Silver: The Cyclone Series Runner-Up may choose one of the following:

-A copy of of MLB 15: The Show 10th Anniversary Edition (PS4 owners only)
-A copy of of MLB 15: The Show Regular Edition (PS3 owners)
-A certified autographed card from a team of the player's choice
-MLB t-shirt + cap from a team of the player's choice
-1 year subscription to any one of the following publications:
Sports Market Report (SMR)
Baseball Digest
Sports Illustrated
ESPN Magazine
Sports Collectors Digest
-Ebay gift certificate (lower value than other silver tier prizes, but higher denomination than the bronze tier gift certificate)

------------------

Bronze: All division winners who did not advance to the Cyclone Series will receive an Ebay gift certificate (lower denomination than the silver tier gift certificate).

------------------

Consolation: All teams having a better regular season record than the commissioner (me) will go into a draw. 2 random teams will be selected by the Cyclone Series Champion.

Each will receive a single issue of SMR plus a mystery card donated by one of two generous FCB members.

------------------

Last Place: The team having the worst regular season record with no DQs will receive a single issue of SMR plus an Ebay gift certificate (lower denomination than the bronze tier gift certificate).

All 30 games must be scored to be eligible for this prize.

For any tie, the team who lost the head-to-head match will be the "winner".

------------------

Maximum 1 prize per team.

LINKS

A Number:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/
*Be sure to sort by wins to get the correct team

B Number:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/
*Be sure to sort by wins to get the correct season
Shortcut: Replace "NYY" with your team

C Number:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2004-schedule-scores.shtml
Shortcut: Replace "NYY" with your team and "2004" with your single season

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Based on my initial numbers 6-9-25, I got Reds, 1939 and May 19

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1939-schedule-scores.shtml

Can you check this to make sure I understand clearly...

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) -1 (reds lost by 1)
Strikeouts: 1 each +2
Complete Game: 5 points +5
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points N/A
HOF Pitcher Start: 5 points N/A
HOF Pitcher Win: 10 points N/A
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points THIS IS IF MY TEAM IS HOME ON THE SCHEDULE?
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each N/A
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each -3 (3 game losing streak)
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: -1 point each 0 (tied for 1st)

So if I were the home team, I'd have scored 8 and if away 3 pts? Is this correct?

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION]

You deciphered your team/year/game perfectly, but are slightly off on a few categories.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN193905190.shtml

CIN won 4-3 that day over PHI...1 point
They also had a 4 game winning streak after that game (4 "+" symbols)...4 points

These two changes gives you a 9 point swing and bumps your score to 17 if you are at home and 12 if you are on the road.

A few other points for everyone:

If you are unable to identify a HOF pitcher by name alone, simply click on his name to get to his player page. All HOFers have a bright yellow banner right above their career stats.

You may not stack a HOF win on top of a HOF start. You can only earn the higher of the two results.

The schedule will be released soon, and is 100% randomly generated.

Hope you all have fun with this.

Last edited:

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
borrowing mrmopar's template to make sure i'm getting this as well...

Based on my initial numbers 6-18-27, I got Reds, 1990 and May 12

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199005120.shtml

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) = -2 (reds lost by 2)
Strikeouts: 1 each = 3
Complete Game: 5 points = 0
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points = 3 (and a question - 0 points if a team uses more than 3 pitchers ?)
HOF Pitcher Start: 5 points = 0
HOF Pitcher Win: 10 points = 0
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points = ?? (assuming this wouldn't be known til you generate our schedule)
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each = 0
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each = -1 (1 game losing streak)
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: -1 point each = 0 (1st)

So if I were the home team, I'd have scored 3 in a road game or 8 in a home game..... Is this correct?

edit to add :

i saw that you posted that the streak and gb info can be found on the main scehdule , but i think it's also on the box score page (directly beneath the teams score at the very top of the page)....am i wrong or is this info correct for our purposes ?

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Okay, so I am 3-7-21. If I'm understanding right, I have the Dodgers (3rd most wins all time), 1963 (99 wins, 7th best win total) and April 29 (their 21st game). If that's correct, then here are the totals I'm coming up with.

Scoring Differential = -2 (Mets won 4-2)
Strikeouts: 1 each = 8 (6 for Miller, 2 for Roebuck)
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points = 3
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points = ??
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each = -4
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: = -4 (4 games behind the Cardinals)

I'm not sure what the Home Team (fantasy) score is for, but according to what I'm seeing I would have a net of +1.

Am I reading that right?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Initial numbers: 4, 23, 24

St. Louis Cardinals, 1964, Cardinals - 1 at Mets - 4 (game 1 of a doubleheader)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN196405101.shtml

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) - (-3)
Strikeouts: 1 each - (3)
Complete Game: 5 points - (0)
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points - (3)
HOF Pitcher Start: 5 points - (0)
HOF Pitcher Win: 10 points - (0)
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points - (0)
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each - (0)
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each - (-1)
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: -1 point each - (-3)

Game 1 total: (-1)

Game 2 numbers: 5, 26, 29

@cjedmonton Is this correctly done? Rough first game for me, without knowing who I am against yet.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
borrowing mrmopar's template to make sure i'm getting this as well...

Based on my initial numbers 6-18-27, I got Reds, 1990 and May 12

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199005120.shtml

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) = -2 (reds lost by 2)
Strikeouts: 1 each = 3
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points = 3 (and a question - 0 points if a team uses more than 3 pitchers ?)
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points = ?? (assuming this wouldn't be known til you generate our schedule)
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each = -1 (1 game losing streak)
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: -1 point each = 0 (1st)

So if I were the home team, I'd have scored 3 in a road game or 8 in a home game..... Is this correct?

edit to add :

i saw that you posted that the streak and gb info can be found on the main scehdule , but i think it's also on the box score page (directly beneath the teams score at the very top of the page)....am i wrong or is this info correct for our purposes ?

Looks good! Yes, the streak and GB info is also found on the boxscore page. Whichever location is easier for you.

[MENTION=2090]TNP777[/MENTION]

Yours is also good. That's all there is to it!

The Home Team category awards you five points if your team is home (for the sake of this contest). I just wanted to be clear not to use the actual historical team for determining this.

Once the schedule is released, it will be clear if you can add 5 points or not.

The other advantage to being the home team is that you win all ties with your opponent. Everyone has 15 home games during the regular season.

[MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION]

You seem to have the hang of it! Once you see the schedule you can add 5 points if you are the home team.

Last edited:

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country

You may not stack a HOF win on top of a HOF start. You can only earn the higher of the two results.

two final questions.....

i asked in my other post but WHERE i placed my question may have caused you to miss it :

0 points if a team uses more than 3 pitchers ?

and question 2 based upon your comment i just quoted....

i understand fully that if we had a HOF starter who did not get the win , it's worth 5 points...
also , that if a HOF'er gets the win it is worth 10 points....
furthermore , i assume that if a HOFer starts and we get EITHER the 5-point bonus in a loss or 10 if he notches the wins , we still DO get the extra 5 in either case as long as he pitches a complete game...

now for the actual question....

let's say our game has HOF'er greg maddux starting and HOF'er john smoltz picking up the win in relief....by virtue of it involving two different pitchers , would we get the 5 for a HOF start AND the 10 for a HOF win ?

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
two final questions.....

i asked in my other post but WHERE i placed my question may have caused you to miss it :

0 points if a team uses more than 3 pitchers

and question 2 based upon your comment i just quoted....

i understand fully that if we had a HOF starter who did not get the win , it's worth 5 points...
also , that if a HOF'er gets the win it is worth 10 points....
furthermore , i assume that if a HOFer starts and we get EITHER the 5-point bonus in a loss or 10 if he notches the wins , we still DO get the extra 5 in either case as long as he pitches a complete game...

now for the actual question....

let's say our game has HOF'er greg maddux starting and HOF'er john smoltz picking up the win in relief....by virtue of it involving two different pitchers , would we get the 5 for a HOF start AND the 10 for a HOF win ?

Question 1: No points are awarded if more than 3 pitchers were used in the game

Question 2: Yes, in the unlikely event that two HOF pitchers play in the same game for the same team (one starts, while the other gets the win), you would get 15 points in this case. I hadn't considered that scenario, but I'm sure it happened at some point.

Note: A start is just that. A HOF pitcher needn't pitch a complete game or even be credited with a loss to earn 5 points.

Good question, thanks!

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Believe I did this right...

St. Louis Cardinals, May 23, 1931 @ Cincinnati Reds. STL won 2-1

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) = +1
Strikeouts: 1 each = +1
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points = +3
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points = TBD
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each = +1
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each = 0
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: -1 point each = 0

Score if home game = 11

Score if away game = 6

Game 2: 5, 10, 29

Thanks!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
WOW! Not sure how I hosed that up.
@mrmopar

You deciphered your team/year/game perfectly, but are slightly off on a few categories.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN193905190.shtml

CIN won 4-3 that day over PHI...1 point
They also had a 4 game winning streak after that game (4 "+" symbols)...4 points

These two changes gives you a 9 point swing and bumps your score to 17 if you are at home and 12 if you are on the road.

If you are unable to identify a HOF pitcher by name alone, simply click on his name to get to his player page. All HOFers have a bright yellow banner right above their career stats.

The schedule will be released soon, and is 100% randomly generated.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
11, 20, 22
Cleveland Indians May 9, 1959
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA195905090.shtml

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) = -4
Strikeouts: 1 each = +3
Complete Game: 5 points = N/A
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points = N/A
HOF Pitcher Start: 5 points = N/A
HOF Pitcher Win: 10 points = N/A
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points = 0
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each = N/A
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each = -1

My score = -2

Opponent (PineTar)11, 20, 24
Cleveland Indians May 10th, 1959 2nd game of Doubleheader
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA195905102.shtml

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) = -5
Strikeouts: 1 each = +4
Complete Game: 5 points = N/A
2-3 Pitchers used: 3 points = +3
HOF Pitcher Start: 5 points = N/A
HOF Pitcher Win: 10 points = N/A
Home Team (fantasy): 5 points = +5
Real Life Team Winning Streak: 1 point each = N/A
Real Life Team Losing Streak: -1 point each = -3
Total Score +4

Johnny G -2
Pine Tar +4

Last edited:

robertwolf1

Aug 8, 2008
My original number 7,17,28 gave me the Pirates in 1912, so I went to the next team (Yankees) and their 17th most winning season 1928. If this is wrong let me know.

My numbers 7-17-28, I got Yankees, 1928 and May 24

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) 6 (Yankees won by 6)
Strikeouts: 1 each +1
Real Life Team Winning Streak: +8
Real Life Team Losing Streak: NA
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: NA

So my total is 20, 25 if home team

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
My original number 7,17,28 gave me the Pirates in 1912, so I went to the next team (Yankees) and their 17th most winning season 1928. If this is wrong let me know.

My numbers 7-17-28, I got Yankees, 1928 and May 24

Scoring Differential (runs scored - runs allowed) 6 (Yankees won by 6)
Strikeouts: 1 each +1
Real Life Team Winning Streak: +8
Real Life Team Losing Streak: NA
Real Life Team Games out of 1st Place on that date: NA

So my total is 20, 25 if home team

i'm no expert , but i'm curious....why did you not stick with the pirates since their history goes back to 1882 ?

edit to add - never mind - i found my answer.....potential box score availability...

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Question 1: No points are awarded if more than 3 pitchers were used in the game

Question 2: Yes, in the unlikely event that two HOF pitchers play in the same game for the same team (one starts, while the other gets the win), you would get 15 points in this case. I hadn't considered that scenario, but I'm sure it happened at some point.

Note: A start is just that. A HOF pitcher needn't pitch a complete game or even be credited with a loss to earn 5 points.

Good question, thanks!

I have a question for you. So my numbers were 2, 7, 25 which would be Cubs in 1905 in the 25th game of the year. However, there is no boxscore available that I could find. What should my next step be?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I have a question for you. So my numbers were 2, 7, 25 which would be Cubs in 1905 in the 25th game of the year. However, there is no boxscore available that I could find. What should my next step be?

Boxscores are generally only available from 1915-present. If your "B" number refers to a team before 1915, simply go down the list to the next available team that played 1915-present.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
My numbers 7-13-24
Give me the 1925 Pirates, 24th game.

Just want to clarify- the pirates won the game, giving it a +5 win streak. (They lost next game). Does that give me a +5? If it was the third game of the streak would that have given me a +5 or +3?

My score was +13.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Thanks to everyone for fielding questions in my absence.
[MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION]

In your case, you would earn 5 points. The winning/losing streak applies to the day of your boxscore.

If your game was the 3rd game of the streak, it would be +3.

Members online