Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
One of the final three base patterns I need is going to hopefully be in my mailbox when I get home. Will update everyone if so.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I wonder if people hoard certain pattern numbers so nobody else can complete the set? I just finished the 2008 Trevor Hoffman Moments & Milestones /150 set after finding the last two cards I needed in a lot. The set has 524 cards! It took me about 2 years to finish it. I have a feeling people hoard certain card numbers.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I wonder if people hoard certain pattern numbers so nobody else can complete the set? I just finished the 2008 Trevor Hoffman Moments & Milestones /150 set after finding the last two cards I needed in a lot. The set has 524 cards! It took me about 2 years to finish it. I have a feeling people hoard certain card numbers.
Which card numbers might those be? Me personally I havent gotten a 98 TEK card in a long time .

While Im not familiar with the set are you referring to are you saying you completed a 524 card set? or a smaller subset of cards containing the Trevor Hoffman..

There are lot of collectors out there who like to collect the first card numbered cards set as well as the last one in a numbered set such as card 1 of 250 or card 250 of 250. I don't think they are hoarding..that is just the way they like to collect. I like the looks of the patterns # 1 in 1 the 1998 TEKs s and build separate 90 card sets of them. That's no different from any collector who might like to collect pattern # 33 or 68 or 83 or 90 or any other pattern in 98 TEK they like... I personally also like the same card# pattern # 1998 Teks allowing one 90 card set to have each of the 90 patterns in one set. Am I trying to block anyone or prevent anyone from completing their 90 card set by building a couple separate sets of the pattern # 1 and Same Card # Pattern # 1998 TEks . Of course not

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.

Congratulations on finishing the 2008 M&M Hoffman /150 set. That's great. I'm working on the Thome Phillies cards from that set, and eventually his Indians and White Sox cards from that set. #500 might be tough to get.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Happy to report my 83rd different Robin Ventura pattern arrived today. Down to needing seven now. This was probably the toughest card I've obtained so far, and the story behind it is pretty cool. I happened to find a picture of the card posted on an obscure baseball card database site. I wasn't sure how long ago the card had been posted (the site looks like it was created in Lycos in 1995). I signed up just to send the member a message, and then I waited weeks for a reply. We finally exchanged messages over the course of several weeks and then agreed to a trade. Glad to have finally snagged this one.

I've been creative in my hunt over the past couple of months, and it has paid dividends, as I've knocked off about eight or nine cards on my list.

Good luck to everyone else. Mansgame - hope you narrow your list down to two! If anyone has Ventura, Belle, Frank Thomas or Konerko '98 TEK they would like to trade/sell, let me know.

Enjoy the hunt.

Congrats on getting the Ventura card in. What are the remaining 7 Ventura cards you need, and I'll keep an eye out for them. Good luck!

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Thanks to mr cub 1938 I got in Thome pattern #53 today and am down to needing only 15 Thome patterns for the 90 card set. And mr cub 1938 is down to needing only 42 cards to finish his 8100 card Tek set.:)

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Which card numbers might those be? Me personally I havent gotten a 98 TEK card in a long time .

While Im not familiar with the set are you referring to are you saying you completed a 524 card set? or a smaller subset of cards containing the Trevor Hoffman..

There are lot of collectors out there who like to collect the first card numbered cards set as well as the last one in a numbered set such as card 1 of 250 or card 250 of 250. I don't think they are hoarding..that is just the way they like to collect. I like the looks of the patterns # 1 in 1 the 1998 TEKs s and build separate 90 card sets of them. That's no different from any collector who might like to collect pattern # 33 or 68 or 83 or 90 or any other pattern in 98 TEK they like... I personally also like the same card# pattern # 1998 Teks allowing one 90 card set to have each of the 90 patterns in one set. Am I trying to block anyone or prevent anyone from completing their 90 card set by building a couple separate sets of the pattern # 1 and Same Card # Pattern # 1998 TEks . Of course not

Trevor Hoffman has a 524 card set that is /150. There are variations of the same set (/25, /10 and /1). No way in hell I would try to put together the more rare sets since I could barely finish the /150 set. What I'm wondering is if someone bought as many of the same card to prevent someone else from completing the set and controlling the market. There is a guy on Ebay who is trying to sell the same completed set for $120 with no luck.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Congratulations on finishing the 2008 M&M Hoffman /150 set. That's great. I'm working on the Thome Phillies cards from that set, and eventually his Indians and White Sox cards from that set. #500 might be tough to get.

Thanks, it took way longer than expected to finish it. LMK if you'd be interested in going halves on a box. It was fun putting the set together.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Congrats on the elusive Belle pattern [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=64]#64 [/URL] ! How long have you been working on this set? If you can get #2 and #8 that would be great. Good luck.
Thanks! I will have to look back but obviously I have never had patter #64 but I would say it has been a year since I have added a base patter that I needed. Now just two more to go and both are on the first 9 page holder of my binder haha

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Thats the problem with trying to get a high dollar value on completed numbered sets. Unless you are a huge fan of that specific player, whether it be Trevor Hoffman or anyone else not considered a HOF type player (which Hoffman may actually be), most collectors who are set builder types dont want the entire set you've worked long and hard and spent lots of time and $$$ chasing cards to complete because if they liked that particular product and were trying to collect all 524 cards they would most likely have over half of it already by the time your set was finished.

Its the chase to complete the set that overrides the value of the temporary joy/satisfaction of finally completing a long term set. Thats worth far more than what anyone will actually pay you for when you decide to sell.

No doubt in my mind Hoffman is a first ballot hall of famer, if he's not then they need to start kicking out some of the other relievers who are already in it. If he would of put the set up for sale earlier before I had most of the set already, I would of purchased it instead of putting it together. I didn't think I'd ever find the last two cards I needed since I suspected someone of hoarding certain card numbers. I did enjoy putting the set together though. I got a better sense of satisfaction putting it together myself.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Hoffman just doesn't have hobby love even though he's considered to be the second best Padre in history behind Tony Gwynn. I don't know if that will change if he makes it into the Hall. Not sure why I started that set to begin with lol OCD took over.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
My 'creative' methods:
- Skimming Tek mixed player lots
- Skimming player lot pics (have found 98tek twice but not a needed pattern)
- 98 Tek team sets
- checking COMC/Sportlots/Beckett daily
- Google searches for obscure card sites & old checklists like mentioned above
- buying dupes to induce additional listings/trade fodder for later.
- list PC card on eBay to attract fellow collector, communicate and ask about Tek

Uncreative methods:
- Buy a box for $500 and pray.
- offer togaman/rinkrat $50k.
- Change PC to Ken Caminitti, buy full set for $90
- Time travel to 1998, buy sealed cases and eBay stock.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
My 'creative' methods:

- list PC card on eBay to attract fellow collector, communicate and ask about Tek

Uncreative methods:

- Time travel to 1998, buy sealed cases and eBay stock.

I've been meaning to list some Buhners to try to identify the other Buhner collectors and hopefully network with them.

I've also been meaning to time travel, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Members online

No members online now.