Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most important 80s base set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
My Top 5 list (compiled by someone who collected in the 1980's)

1. 1984 Donruss

- Why? Anyone who was active in the hobby will tell you that this set all but saved the hobby single handedly. The set was 'the' set to have well in to the 90's and the Mattingly card almost dethroned the 1952 Topps Mantle as the most iconic card in baseball. It also had RC cards of Carter, Strawberry, and strong second year cards of Boggs, Gwynn, and Sandberg, not to mention very desirable cards (at the time) of Rose, Ryan, and Ripken. Anyone who actively collected throughout the 1980's will surely know the 1984 Donruss' importance to the 1980's and baseball cards as unrivaled.

2. 1985 Topps

- Simply put it was LOADED with value and set the standard for the RC card chase. At one time it contained desirable and valuable cards (to varying degrees) of Gooden, Clemens, Puckett, McGuire, Hershiser, Davis, Snyder, as well as some nice 2'nd and 3'rd year cards (when that still mattered). The USA cards were different than anything out there at the time and Topps still had a foothold on the hobby albeit Fleer and Donruss were catching up.

3. 1986 Donruss

From the very beginning this set was coveted as something different, something more desirable than Topps or the Fleer offering. When the Canseco card exploded it basically dethroned the Mattingly Donruss RC as 'the' card to have and solidified Donruss as the Top card manufacturer value wise. It also offered RC cards of McGriff, Dykstra, Fielder, and a few others that gained popularity and value on and off again throughout the years. In fact, I have not seen anything before or since that compares to the 1986 donruss craze when the Canseco card took off.

4. 1989 Upper Deck

The introduction of a base/premium brand ushering in such things as premium paper quality (for base cards), holographic foil, 'tamper proof' packaging, and a new feel/look for the hobby moving forward. Not to mention a excellent RC crop that included (to name a few) Randy Johnson, Sheffield, and Ken Griffey Jr. Oh and least we forget that the Jr. RC card was the card to dominate the iconic list for the next decade.

5. 1989 Bowman

The introduction of the 'modern' bowman card was born. It had a funny look and size but clearly was here to test the waters to see if the hobby was ready for something different. The lessons learned from that first set (and subsequent early 1990's sets) are what gave rise to what we have now.

** I intentionally omitted any Updated or Traded sets due to my understanding of the question at hand. If included, the 1984FU would have potentially made the list.

Really on the 86D? I just didn't see it here in RI I guess. Yeah, it was a hot card but I just don't see this set as important to the hobby. Also... Nothing else since that has compared to the Canseco craze?

How about McGwire/Sosa during the home run craze or Bonds when nearly everyone was turning a blind eye to the steroids? Stadium Jeters? SP Jeters or Arods? Hell, any base Arod RC at one Point. BC Kerry Wood, Jose Cruz, Travis Lee, Lance Berkman... All commanded ridiculous money at one point.

I disagree about the importance of 89 Bowman. No one wanted it and it was considered then what it is now... Junk. In 1989 NOTHING interested collectors besides UD.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Like others have said, it depends on what you want to look at. 89 upper deck was a game changer but at the same time, can we really call it an 80's thing? It got one year of exposure and everything it changed about the hobby happened after the 80's. I'd have to say 84 Donruss is the real deal because it occurred in almost the middle of the decade and had enough time to impact the hobby. Plus it also had the Mattingly. 86 Donruss also had an impact and one that was actually felt in the 80's. But you think about it...a mint set of 84 Donruss will still cost you money. To this day. And to think the Mattingly is still worth money, today. Guy will never be close to the HOF but it's still worth money. How many players can you say that about? None. Unless their card is auto'd or they are still active or have huge milestones. But the Mattingly is a rarity. You just have to give this set it's due.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
The most bonkers set was 87 Topps... Forget about the McGwire! A 500 ct lot of Kal Daniels wasn't enough to keep up with demand!

People ate every future star or Topps cup RC in that set up like candy corn!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The most bonkers set was 87 Topps... Forget about the McGwire! A 500 ct lot of Kal Daniels wasn't enough to keep up with demand!

People ate every future star or Topps cup RC in that set up like candy corn!

I wish I could still find player bricks!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Haha, I thought Kal Daniels was going to be a superstar alongside Eric Davis.

Daniels' hottest cards were his earlier and harder to find '86 Donruss and Fleer rookies.
Investors only loaded up on gigantic 500 count lots of '87 Topps because they weren't able to with Fleer and Donruss cards.

I always loved those '87 Topps Future Star cards with the rainbow script. The Bo Jackson Future Star is one of my favorite cards of the '80s.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Nothing....AND THE ROCK MEANS NOTHING!.......is like the '87 topps set to me.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
87 Topps. I still enjoy this set to this day. Wood border design, future stars and rookie cup labels, the rookies, and the stars. I was hooked

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I think if you asked people what 80s set they are most fond of or have the best memories from, it would 87 Topps just because of the massive break out in collecting that took place around that time and the massive production of cards that was taking place. Fleer also produced their nicest (IMO) set of the 80s in 87 too. Those baby blue borders with the fade were just awesome. Donruss wasn't too shabby either. My absolute favorite set that year was the Donruss Opening Day set. It was very cool looking and seemed so different, yet so familiar :)

Members online

Latest posts