Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Be Dilligent... Watch your transactions, protect thyself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Hey Guys

With some increased attention on the internet there are good things and bad things that show up. Yes it's good to have more people and some life, but it's also a negative that some of these people might not have the best of intentions.

Remember to ALWAYS protect yourself in transactions. You can do this by following two simple rules. #1 Never send first to someone you don't know or can't get someone you trust to vouch for. #2 Never send paypal gift.

These are the two big no,no's and I am sure others will post more in this thread.

Protect yourself! You are your own first line of defense.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Sound protection advice: Always wear a cup!

Ship everything with tracking. Insure anything over a $ amount you are uncomfortable losing on a deal. Paypal signature confirmation is ONLY required on $750 or higher transactions now... no longer for $250 and over.

Hakuna Machado

May 20, 2014
Maryland
Thanks for this useful information. Me being a newbie to the whole collecting scene I want to have as much quality information as I possibly can.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009

Ship everything with tracking. Insure anything over a $ amount you are uncomfortable losing on a deal. Paypal signature confirmation is ONLY required on $750 or higher transactions now... no longer for $250 and over.

Can someone confirm this? Because a lot of recent laptop go over 250 easily. W/O signature make seller feel more worries.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Can someone confirm this? Because a lot of recent laptop go over 250 easily. W/O signature make seller feel more worries.

I ship with sig confirmation for anything over $125 usually

Yeah, it's a couple extra bucks but it proves that the buyer received it personally and accepted it

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
And remember...if you ever get lost in the forest, the bark always grows on the outside of the tree!

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I've always sent Pay Pal Gift when taking place in transactions on this forum. I thought that's a way to avoid fees, especially on small transactions. I can understand concerns with larger transactions, but never thought of it as an issue. Maybe I should reconsider this?

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Paypal gift is perfectly fine, with people you have dealt with before and trust.

Never send a gift payment to some you don't know and trust, or someone who cannot provide you with a flawless trade history.

There's many people on this site, and FB I will send gift payments to. But they are few, compared to the ones that only receive goods payments.

I've always sent Pay Pal Gift when taking place in transactions on this forum. I thought that's a way to avoid fees, especially on small transactions. I can understand concerns with larger transactions, but never thought of it as an issue. Maybe I should reconsider this?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
tracking? you say tracking! It is not worth SH it as a buyer! Over 30 times I have had a bubbler mailer sent to another house! Just this year. The USPS needs to Fire my mail lady. They will not do anything. All I get is we will look in to it. Once the guy the next block over put his signature on a package addressed to me.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Here you go:
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US

11.4 Proof of Shipment, Proof of Delivery and Signature Confirmation Requirements.

"Proof of Shipment" is online or physical documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

• The date the item is shipped.
  • The recipient’s address matches the shipping address provided on the Transaction Details Page.
  • The recipient’s address, showing at least the city & state, or city & country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent).
"Proof of Delivery" is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

• The item’s status as delivered.
  • The date the item is delivered.
  • The recipient address is the same as in the shipping address section on the Transaction Details Page.
  • The recipient's address, showing at least the city & state, or city & country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent).
  • Signature Confirmation as described below if the full amount of the payment including shipping and taxes is $750 USD or more or its foreign currency equivalent provided below

It still says $250 on the page where you print out a shipping label, but I was told by the rep that this is changed and it just hasn't been updated on the shipping page yet.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
For those that don't know, if you use PayPal shipping, you save about .75 cents and get the tracking automatically included...

And you can use it even if the buyer paid with "Gift". Just go into "Create" a new label in the first pop-up after you go into Multi-Order shipping.

Plus, you don't have to worry about the Post Office hours, just drop it in the box. Great deal!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
When selling on eBay, buyer protection protects them. You buy insurance through the postal service to protect ​yourself.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I've been pretty lucky through the years that deals outside eBay have generally gone well. You really don't know who you're dealing with most of the time and even when you do there's no guarantee it'll work out. Funny enough it's deals through PayPal that have been the ones that get screwed up more, likely due to sheer volume though.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Over 30 times I have had a bubbler mailer sent to another house! Just this year.
Over 30 wrong deliveries this year? The year is only 20 weeks old. That's insane and must make you worry every time you win something on eBay.
You have the worst mail carrer of all time.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Glass or Tupperwear?? :)
DANNY

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
tracking? you say tracking! It is not worth SH it as a buyer! Over 30 times I have had a bubbler mailer sent to another house! Just this year. The USPS needs to Fire my mail lady. They will not do anything. All I get is we will look in to it. Once the guy the next block over put his signature on a package addressed to me.

Which brings me to this always overlooked gem: never hand write an address.

Always print it out electronically, even if that means taping it to a package if there are no labels to print on. If labels are used, still use the clear packing tape over it to prevent any accidents from ruining the label.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online