Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
new pickups...been a while since i bought any Griffey, but i got each of these for a REALLY good deal (silver ink cheaper than the copper!) I wish i took these out of the sleeves to scan, but i didnt want to take the time here at work...

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I just had a long, good, talk with rarecardcollector (gottohaveit33), and I feel I have made a friend in the process. We both had some serious misunderstandings, but they are now resolved. So, for anybody that read what I said earlier, please dismiss it. Those posts have been deleted.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I just had a long, good, talk with rarecardcollector (gottohaveit33), and I feel I have made a friend in the process. We both had some serious misunderstandings, but they are now resolved. So, for anybody that read what I said earlier, please dismiss it. Those posts have been deleted.

I've had a couple of dealings with rarecardcollector in the past as well and he is a very honest person in my book.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I've had a couple of dealings with rarecardcollector in the past as well and he is a very honest person in my book.

Yeah, I was wrong about him. He made some incorrect assumptions about me, which caused my outburst followed with incorrect assumptions about him. I handled the situation poorly, and I am sorry for that. I apologized to px23 as well. So, I'm a bit humbled at the moment, but when I am wrong, I be a man and admit to it. My emotions got the better of me.

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
Tip of the cap to Topps for finally getting some live Griffey autos packed out in this year's Museum collection. The designs look nearly identical to last year, but it's still nice to see them. Thank you, fellas.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
This one is going to be another insane ending - I understand there are 50 of these and that is relatively a low number but IMO no insert should be outselling or come close to outselling an autograph /50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191110030023?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Why not? Autos /50 after 00 are easier to obtain than a /100 or less of a specific player from the 90s. Especially with the amount of product produced. The 98 /24 auto that Sean just bought shows that Rare autos will carry weight. But like far as like the spx autos, there is at least one on eBay all the time. Supply and demand.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
Why not? Autos /50 after 00 are easier to obtain than a /100 or less of a specific player from the 90s. Especially with the amount of product produced. The 98 /24 auto that Sean just bought shows that Rare autos will carry weight. But like far as like the spx autos, there is at least one on eBay all the time. Supply and demand.
I'm sorry but $800 is WAY WAY TOO much for that card. I sincerely hope someone bought it to take to their grave.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2008
I'm sorry but $800 is WAY WAY TOO much for that card. I sincerely hope someone bought it to take to their grave.

Is $800 too high? If the card was available on a regular basis yes, however this card has not shown up on ebay in at least 5 years. I've never seen one on ebay actually. So it's comes down to supply and demand. I estimated that the card would go for between $500-$750. If the high bidder didn't bid it would've been closer to $500.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
GriffeyJr. said:
This one is going to be another insane ending - I understand there are 50 of these and that is relatively a low number but IMO no insert should be outselling or come close to outselling an autograph /50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191110030023?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also disagree. Griffey's auto - while a commodity - is not rare, especially on a baseball card. Essentially there are a myriad of Griffey autos /50 from different brands and years out there that one can choose to spend money on; conversely, there is only one version of the Titanium Fusion insert and there are only 50 of them. To reiterate rarecardcollector and joey_peapod, it's simple economics.

To your point about Griffey's inserts vs. autos, an autograph is technically an insert card with his signed name on it; while an auto may carry an intrinsic premium to each individual collector because of his autograph being on the card, from an economics standpoint in this particular case, the supply is high and demand is low. Blame the baseball card companies for creating a false sense of rarity. For this argument, the insert vs. auto distinction is arbitrary. I respect the aura of a rare card, regardless of if it is deemed an auto or insert - to each their own definition of "rare".

Regarding the Titanium Fusion /50, while I think $775 was high, my thought is irrelevant in the matter because two separate people valued that card at over $765. I may disagree with the valuation and even be disappointed with the market for this card being set so high, but that's how our hobby goes; that card is #1 on my want list but I'll just have to wait until the next opportunity. I hope the winner enjoys the card.

Last edited:

Members online