Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian Gray Sues the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Big shows/conventions are a huge business. Crazy money involved in all of it.

Booths easily could be $20k or more and that doesnt include tables or chairs/etc

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
This isn't something that is as simple as hey can I come ok heres my money, hop on a plane and show up. This requires intricate planning and coordination of staff and other promotional activities. They were very likely in the process of coordinating signers, organizing promotional material and other steps that it takes to show up that you aren't aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian spends 150k on this show in addition to his fee to set up at it. If he's already spent for a show that he can now no longer set up at even though he's got a contract then damages should apply. (not a lawyer, that's just how I think it would work)

That's how I would like to think it would work. However, if "Summit" is just a fancy word for conference or meeting, then I could see the organizers of the summit reserving their right to rescind invitations at their discretion. And though it may be a bad business practice, once the fee is returned would it be possible that the organizers of the summit have no further obligations in regards to incidental expenses regardless of their amount?

Regardless, it is all speculation since we are only privy to one side of the story and even that side is most likely not complete.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
That's how I would like to think it would work. However, if "Summit" is just a fancy word for conference or meeting, then I could see the organizers of the summit reserving their right to rescind invitations at their discretion. And though it may be a bad business practice, once the fee is returned would it be possible that the organizers of the summit have no further obligations in regards to incidental expenses regardless of their amount?

Regardless, it is all speculation since we are only privy to one side of the story and even that side is most likely not complete.

I said that to point out that this isn't a frivolous lawsuit by leaf. There are real damages and the summit may or may not be liable. How do you find out? You let the court decide.

VOTC

Jul 30, 2009
I see what's going on now. The "big wig" license-holding companies got together and strong-armed the Industry Summit (probably stated they wouldn't show up if they didn't get their way) to exclude companies lacking a major license, meaning Leaf and companies like Leaf get pushed out. It's a tactic to stifle their competition. Shame on Topps/Panini/Upper Deck and whoever else did this and shame on the Industry Summit for letting it happen. The "Industry Summit" has lost ALL credibility in my eyes and should be boycotted and/or spoken out against by trading card hobbyists and retailers everywhere.

That is exactly what is going on and I believe who will be revealed as several of the John Does cited in the lawsuit. We took this issue head on in two episodes and heard from not only Brian Gray but Dr. Brian Price at ITG. Kevin Iaasacson was also invited on but "politely declined"

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cardbo...brian-price-of-itg-2013-year-in-review-part-1

Attorney Paul Lesko breaks down in layman's terms the lawsuit, the day that it was filed here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cardbo...hockey-card-day-net54baseball-paul-lesko-more

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I think my name fell out of the fcb bucks system. I have been killing it lately and i got 1 pt. Jayper, if you need to borrow a pt, let me know. I loan my pt out at 9.9% int rate and annual fee of $1 paypal.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I said that to point out that this isn't a frivolous lawsuit by leaf. There are real damages and the summit may or may not be liable. How do you find out? You let the court decide.

I agree that it probably is not frivolous. But depending on the terms of invitation/contract/whatever, I think it's within reason to think it is frivolous. Yeah I know it's wishy-washy, but I need more info.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Love when guys talk trash but have no clue what the speak of.. BG

Still time to turn it all around. Just need to come up with a nintendo character set for the guy.
When you make it happem. I expect a little $$ for the idea.

Or make him a 1/1 mario metal prismatic.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
My problem is the fact that Brian feels he is entitled to be there. The promoter doesnt have to include anyone. I wouldnt blame him one bit if he excluded Leaf based on the fact that the other companies are tired of his act. I mean if I was running a show I would much rather have Topps, Panini and Upper deck there over Leaf. They are the big boys in this industry. Very few people that collect in my area purchase Leaf products but everyone I know purchases the other three. So if you were putting on an event who would you rather have?

So what if he told him he could come and then changed his mind in order to keep his event relevant and well attended after all that is his goal.

A few thoughts:
#1- they took my money and confirmed my booth, then booted me after being threatened...
#2- it is ILLEGAL for competitors to blackmail, threaten, bully or otherwise induce a party to break a contract or tortiously interfere with a competitors business.
#3- I sold nearly $20 million in trading cards last year, I think it is safe to say plenty of people are buying our products...
Return to your fighting.. BG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

As a point of clarification, THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION EVENT. Even the website says its open to ALL CLASSES OF TRADE/
Yes, there is a contract. Read the actual lawsuit through Cardboard Connection and you will see more "facts"... BG

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Still time to turn it all around. Just need to come up with a nintendo character set for the guy.
When you make it happem. I expect a little $$ for the idea.

Or make him a 1/1 mario metal prismatic.

Nah. I collect Mauricio Shogun Rua autographs, but haven't purchased a Leaf one, and I won't.

Members online

Latest posts