Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A decade later, it's mine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
On September 16, 2009, Jonny Gomes hit his 20th and final home run of the season. The shot came on "Hal McCoy Day," honoring the retirement of the 37-year veteran sportswriter who covered the Reds. Gomes, who had told McCoy that he would try to hit a home run for him that day, presented him with the bat, now signed: "To Hal, thanks for the support. HR #20 on Hal McCoy Day." The story was picked up by the Associated Press, garnering national sports-page coverage; reading those articles and looking at photos of the bat, the idea of somehow getting it—much as I would have loved to—seemed fanciful; undoubtedly McCoy would hold on to it for years, and regardless, if ever sold it would surely be priced out of reach.

090918 - The Journal News - Gomes delivers for retiring scribe.jpg

Last month, the bat appeared on eBay. It arrived today:

IMG_0939.jpg

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Fantastic. Sorry to see that it went up for sale, but so glad that it went to a good home. Well done!

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks guys. There may be a few nicer Gomes pieces out there, but I'm hard pressed to think of one—and like this once was, they'd probably be owned by friends and family. I'm heading to the lumber store tomorrow to look for some planks; with this in hand, it's time to finally put a few bats on the wall.

[MENTION=3722]madbull34[/MENTION] & [MENTION=5901]mhcook[/MENTION], the bat was listed by a large eBay seller, who told me he bought the bat and one other item directly from McCoy. I don't know why McCoy chose to sell them. One could speculate that 10 years into retirement finances are tighter and the sentimental weight of a gift is lighter, but that's just speculation; he's nearing 80, and could have just decided it was time to downsize. In any event, it won't be going anywhere for a long time to come.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I love stories like this - how cool! Congratulations, I'm sure you are over the moon :)

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
That’s a very cool bat (great aesthetically as well) and the story behind it. Would loved to see it displayed once you have it up on the wall.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
[MENTION=6048]Mark70Z[/MENTION], here it is on display! I ended up making the rack with my dad when I visited over labor day weekend. Simple piece of oak, sanded, drilled at an angle to fit in the pegs, and coated with varnish.

From top to bottom, the bats are:

2011 MAX Bat from his time with the Nationals
2003 SAM Bat, made the day before his MLB debut, and later sent as a prototype to X Bats
2003 SAM Bat from the same order, used by his Durham Bulls teammate Pete LaForest in the '03 AZ Fall League, and signed by both (rare early signature by Gomes)
2009 MAX Bat (the McCoy bat)
2005 D-Bat, signed "game used rookie year"
2003 Rawlings bat, used during his first major league series--still trying to nail down which game(s)/at bat(s)
2002 SAM Bat with early signature--earliest Gomes bat I've seen

IMG_1657.jpg

Members online