Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Repack breaks - Your Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I liked BBCE on Facebook for some reason and now I get updates from them and saw that they were doing a live break. I clicked on it to clear the notification, but got sucked in. They were just opening sealed padded mailers with a single graded card per pack. The big hit was a Jordan RC. The buy in was apparently $120 per spot and there were 36 spots. The guy said during the break that they sold out in under 2 minutes! I don't know if they advertised all 36 spots or if they just highlighted a few of the bigger hits. All of the items they pulled were decent, but maybe not $120 decent each time.

I know they are well known and have a following, so drumming up business for something like this would be easier for them, but I really was intrigued by it. It is similar to those grab bags you see overplayed on eBay, but in this case you know someone will pull something good. People seem to really like to gamble for the big hit and are not afraid top shell out bucks for the chance. Seems like it would be a great way to sell of stuff, as long as you had enough prize hits and could find a platform that showed you were credible.

Anyone have any personal experience with this, either as a buyer or seller? I'd love to hear more.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I could see that catching on with reputable people. The “hobby” has become a gambling addiction for a lot of people. Knowing what you could possibly hit would probably suck a lot of people in like those razz things do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was thinking a draw like a Jordan RC for $120 is a great payoff if you win. I guess the question is how stacked do the rest of the "packs" have to be to draw in the most folks. in the above mentioned break, I saw other nice cards too like a 1963 Mays, Magic Johnson 86-87 Fleer sticker autograph (TTM/IP), 60 Koufax, 64 Philadelphia J. Brown, 82 T Traded Ripken, etc. Some decent cards for sure. Do you make decent consolation packs or do you make it a one true winner mix? I'm sure there is quite a science to this if you were to really break it down.

The point would be to sell the spots for enough to cover what you'd want for the entire batch of stuff, maybe more if you could swing it. That is where the gambling aspect could really pay off. For example, if I had a 1949 Leaf Jackie Robinson to sell, I'd have to find the breaking point between a great chance per spot and too much to cover not only the Robinson but anything else I would include.

This is where I'd like to hear from someone who has run several of these to see how they did. The thought of selling singles on eBay makes me want to puke, but this could be a great and fun way to sell and it would make a select number of people extremely happy and hopefully everyone else who participated would be at least satisfied enough to try it on a future break.

Note: I am nowhere near being ready to try something like this personally, nor am I very active with trading or selling anyway, which makes someone like me a huge question mark if I all of the sudden want to "raffle" off a 4 figure card. That is where the platform becomes important too. The thought of it really is fascinating me at the moment though. I have always thought it would be extremely fun to grab bag off a huge collection with substantial hits, but you have to be able to sell enough to not give it all away and be credible enough to find repeat buyers.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I liked BBCE on Facebook for some reason and now I get updates from them and saw that they were doing a live break. I clicked on it to clear the notification, but got sucked in. They were just opening sealed padded mailers with a single graded card per pack. The big hit was a Jordan RC. The buy in was apparently $120 per spot and there were 36 spots. The guy said during the break that they sold out in under 2 minutes! I don't know if they advertised all 36 spots or if they just highlighted a few of the bigger hits. All of the items they pulled were decent, but maybe not $120 decent each time.

I know they are well known and have a following, so drumming up business for something like this would be easier for them, but I really was intrigued by it. It is similar to those grab bags you see overplayed on eBay, but in this case you know someone will pull something good. People seem to really like to gamble for the big hit and are not afraid top shell out bucks for the chance. Seems like it would be a great way to sell of stuff, as long as you had enough prize hits and could find a platform that showed you were credible.

Anyone have any personal experience with this, either as a buyer or seller? I'd love to hear more.

Was this Grand Slam Collectibles in Murfeesboro?

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
Was this Grand Slam Collectibles in Murfeesboro?
No. BBCE just did one, Sunday I think. Grand Slam does am incredible job with these. To me these can be more appealing than wax. The return percentage is much much higher in what I have seen Grand Slam do.

The downside is finding a truly credible seller. I'm confident a scammer could find an easy way to fix the game and direct the hit pack to his chosen winner. I think Nate's personality goes a long way toward Grand Slams success.

I don't know a location or forum that would be easy for a random person to have success doing this because people would be insane to just blindly trust the seller.

I have been in discussion with a friend about trying to do these, not necessarily to make money, but as a fun way to enjoy the hobby and have a better excuse to spend more time with cards. I hope others have good info and ideas to contribute.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
No. BBCE just did one, Sunday I think. Grand Slam does am incredible job with these. To me these can be more appealing than wax. The return percentage is much much higher in what I have seen Grand Slam do.

The downside is finding a truly credible seller. I'm confident a scammer could find an easy way to fix the game and direct the hit pack to his chosen winner. I think Nate's personality goes a long way toward Grand Slams success.

I don't know a location or forum that would be easy for a random person to have success doing this because people would be insane to just blindly trust the seller.

I have been in discussion with a friend about trying to do these, not necessarily to make money, but as a fun way to enjoy the hobby and have a better excuse to spend more time with cards. I hope others have good info and ideas to contribute.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I did Nate's stream set up and mobile apps.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yes it is too bad that dishonest people have ruined a lot of the good opportunities for everyone. I thought about this a long time ago with those eBay grab bag lots, but figured the only way to protect the seller (an honest one at least) would be to require ALL lots in a group sell before they are distributed. I don't think there is a way to do that on eBay, so dirtbag sellers show these fantastic lots with a chance to win great cards, but not one feedback ever tells of hitting the good card.

I especially like the concept if it could work because I see myself trying to sell good stuff on eBay and getting some crappy low ending bid amount on it and worrying about selling other items. If you could get the amount you wanted (a reasonable amount, mind you) for your stuff and give gamblers who want the excitement a thrill and a legit chance at a big payoff at the same time, everybody wins!

I like the idea of the sealed blank envelopes, then mixing them up and numbering them too. Good way to keep it completely random. However, from a devil's advocate approach, you'd have to film the entire process live for it to be safe for buyers to feel completely comfortable with their spots. A good seller with the right platform could do quite well with this type of break I think, as long as they had an ample supply of good stuff to sell off.

Members online

Latest posts