Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Picked up this from one of my favorite sets - 1998 E/X Essential Credentials

8ZpwV4Oh.jpg

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Glad you landed that credentials! I was underbidder. I think we have similar taste in bidding and eBay might be referring me to bid on some of your watches items ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Ha! I rescued it from that giant lucite brick with no damage.

I mostly collect early Topps Heritage (2001 - 2012) and some 2001 UD game used sets. The 1998 Credentials set is just a great looking set. I've got 3 of them now. One day, I'll work on the rest of the set. For now, I'm happy with my 3!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Hey folks! I'm possibly looking into getting into a graded PSA '85 Topps Big Mac. From an investment perspective, what do you think is best? PSA 9-10? Tiffany PSA 8-9? Ain't no way I'm dropping the coin needed for a PSA 10 Tiffany LOL - would love to hear your thoughts!

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
Hey folks! I'm possibly looking into getting into a graded PSA '85 Topps Big Mac. From an investment perspective, what do you think is best? PSA 9-10? Tiffany PSA 8-9? Ain't no way I'm dropping the coin needed for a PSA 10 Tiffany LOL - would love to hear your thoughts!
I think the 85 Topps PSA 9 is a bargin, especially if you can inspect it and not just buying the grade. I'm in the market for a Tiffany 9, but with the jagged edges, they really don't look like 9s to me. Maybe one day I will find one in person that I think deserves the grade, but I'd be afraid the edge was trimmed if not jagged. Keep us informed on what you do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Just a heads up on these guys:

There are 5 of the magic moments. I talked to a die hard collector years ago that claimed to have done the math on these and based on how they were released, he said there were only 15-30 copies of each of the magic moment refractors. I have not done the math myself but wanted to pass that info along. If it's true, there are some great deals out there right now on ebay on those. Do your own homework though! Took me a long time to obtain all 5, was missing two of them for the longest time.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Howdy folks. Been very inactive lately.....I'll spare you the details. Life is just happening in less than ideal ways is all. I hoped to get your thoughts on two cards and their values (i.e. - are these good purchases).

Card #1 - 1999 Flair Showcase - Row 1 Legacy Collection /99 for $45
Card #2 - 2000 Topps HD - Platinum /99 for $30

They seem to be decent values for cards in good shape. Nothing to brag about, but decent. What are your thoughts? To buy or not to buy?

Cheers, Mark

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah I'd say decent deals. Thought I had an extra HD to give you but looks like I gave it to someone else already. Doh!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Yeah I'd say decent deals. Thought I had an extra HD to give you but looks like I gave it to someone else already. Doh!

Thanks for the thoughts! I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll buy them. I could use a pick-me-up package.

What do you guys think the red crusade is going to go for? 202673861864

I'm not quite sure it will go for as much as we might think. The last one to sell (the PSA 9 that is currently being held hostage by an eBay seller) sold for only $350-ish. Not to say that isn't a great deal, I would have loved it at that price, had I had the funds at the time. Heck, if someone really wanted the card by now, they could have shelled out about $1,000 for that graded copy I mentioned above. We'll see!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts! I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll buy them. I could use a pick-me-up package.

I'm not quite sure it will go for as much as we might think. The last one to sell (the PSA 9 that is currently being held hostage by an eBay seller) sold for only $350-ish. Not to say that isn't a great deal, I would have loved it at that price, had I had the funds at the time. Heck, if someone really wanted the card by now, they could have shelled out about $1,000 for that graded copy I mentioned above. We'll see!

Oh wow that was quite a deal. I missed that one. 350 for a 9 is a steal! There are so many set collectors on top of all the McGwire collectors that make these so difficult to get.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Oh wow that was quite a deal. I missed that one. 350 for a 9 is a steal! There are so many set collectors on top of all the McGwire collectors that make these so difficult to get.

Agreed, quite a steal indeed. I was bummed to have missed out. I will watch this one, but likely can't afford at the moment. If you get it, would love to see a proper photo!

Cheers, Mark

Members online

Latest posts