Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Six years ago, THIS was the hot list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Easy to forget some of these guys and just how crazy valued these cards were.

Scherer elite $175
Hanley $250 (bowman best $150)
Webb $175
Mcclouth $100
Bruce. $150
Soto. $200

Attachments

• 1406844057427.jpg
    1406844057427.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 202

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wait, so Max Scherzer's rookies were worth more when he was a minor leaguer than they are now, after a dominant Cy Young season, being 13-3 this year and leading the league in wins two years in a row?
Freakin' prospectors...

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Interesting to see McLouth, Furcal, Saunders, Volquez, and Webb on any hot list.Good read.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
While players often meet their on-field potential, I don't think any player will ever be capable of meeting absurd hobby potential. I suspect Max Scherzer is exceeding his expected performance on the field, but in hobby terms, to meet maintain those idiotic prices he would have to average 24 wins, a 1.50 ERA and 300Ks a year. Anything less than the combination of Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, Fernando Valenzuela and Randy Johnson and his prices can only drop. The hobby gets farther and farther out of sync with the actual sport each year.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
Man, I should have sold some of my Hanley Ramirez cards back then. I have a ton of great stuff in my Red Sox collection, including the card shown.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Interesting to see McLouth, Furcal, Saunders, Volquez, and Webb on any hot list.
Brandon Webb had just won the Cy Young and then finished second in voting the next two years, so his Hot List appearance makes sense.
He was a great pitcher before his injuries.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Brandon Webb had just won the Cy Young and then finished second in voting the next two years, so his Hot List appearance makes sense.
He was a great pitcher before his injuries.

Yes, forgot about that.His career took a nosedive in a hurry though.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
McLouth was my first baseball flip. Bought in, in the offseason of '07 and flipped everything, about this time, in '08. Really helped out the JJ collection :D

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Wait, so Max Scherzer's rookies were worth more when he was a minor leaguer than they are now, after a dominant Cy Young season, being 13-3 this year and leading the league in wins two years in a row?
Freakin' prospectors...

I don't even recall Scherzer being in the 07 EEE set.

It was Laporta, Moustakas, Heyward, Parker, Wieters, Ajax, MadBum, Vitters, Dominguez, etc

Fun memories

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I don't even recall Scherzer being in the 07 EEE set.

It was Laporta, Moustakas, Heyward, Parker, Wieters, Ajax, MadBum, Vitters, Dominguez, etc

Fun memories

Most of those guys sold for big money back then, and look how far they have fallen?I am so glad I sold my Moustakas autograph when I did.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
While players often meet their on-field potential, I don't think any player will ever be capable of meeting absurd hobby potential. I suspect Max Scherzer is exceeding his expected performance on the field, but in hobby terms, to meet maintain those idiotic prices he would have to average 24 wins, a 1.50 ERA and 300Ks a year. Anything less than the combination of Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, Fernando Valenzuela and Randy Johnson and his prices can only drop. The hobby gets farther and farther out of sync with the actual sport each year.

Totally agree. I've said it here before, but I think prospecting got out of realism because of Pujols. Everyone is chasing the next big rookie chrome auto thinking it has the potential to one day become the next Pujols chrome rookie. When in reality it will never happen again, because there are only 500. Not thousands of base chromes, then base chrome autos, then refractors, xfractors, blues, golds, reds, superfractors, etc. Each level meets a demand for people who can't afford a more expensive version. With Pujols, you either save and buy it, or you don't have it. The supply is far smaller than anything today.

Trout has the best chance to be "the" card of anyone right now. Still I doubt he will get to the levels the Pujols got to. Which has nothing to do with Trout's ability or performance.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Totally agree. I've said it here before, but I think prospecting got out of realism because of Pujols. Everyone is chasing the next big rookie chrome auto thinking it has the potential to one day become the next Pujols chrome rookie. When in reality it will never happen again, because there are only 500. Not thousands of base chromes, then base chrome autos, then refractors, xfractors, blues, golds, reds, superfractors, etc. Each level meets a demand for people who can't afford a more expensive version. With Pujols, you either save and buy it, or you don't have it. The supply is far smaller than anything today.

Trout has the best chance to be "the" card of anyone right now. Still I doubt he will get to the levels the Pujols got to. Which has nothing to do with Trout's ability or performance.

I agree with this.What was the max for that Pujols?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In 2001, a regular came into my store with a brand new card he just bought for $400 graded a bgs 9.

I told him it was a sweet pick up but secretly to myself I thought he was nuts spending that much on a rookie.

The card? 2001 bowman chrome pujols auto!

The sport card market has changed TREMENDOUSLY since then.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Something else I just thought of that fueled the fire with the Pujols too, is that it was a redemption. So who knows how many went un-redeemed.

It was a perfect storm type situation. In a sense like a modern day 52 Mantle kind of thing. More to do with the circumstances of the sets they were in. Just as much as talent.

Latest posts