Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Six years ago, THIS was the hot list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I wonder how much the pujols would have been had he made the majors in 02?

Think about it, only topps would have had pujols rookies, no one else so there would be a TON less autos the market (probably less than five different), let alone rc's.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
In 2001, a regular came into my store with a brand new card he just bought for $400 graded a bgs 9.

I told him it was a sweet pick up but secretly to myself I thought he was nuts spending that much on a rookie.

The card? 2001 bowman chrome pujols auto!

The sport card market has changed TREMENDOUSLY since then.

At that time I wasn't collecting.He played for my favorite team, so I likely would have bought one if I collected back then.Whoops.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Something else I just thought of that fueled the fire with the Pujols too, is that it was a redemption. So who knows how many went un-redeemed.

It was a perfect storm type situation. In a sense like a modern day 52 Mantle kind of thing. More to do with the circumstances of the sets they were in. Just as much as talent.

How many do you think were redeemed?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I wonder how much the pujols would have been had he made the majors in 02?

Think about it, only topps would have had pujols rookies, no one else so there would be a TON less autos the market (probably less than five different), let alone rc's.

Donruss, UD, etc. still churned out a bunch of rookies then.How would Topps have exclusive?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Donruss, UD, etc. still churned out a bunch of rookies then.How would Topps have exclusive?

Only topps was able to include minor leaguers back then in any product of theirs.

The other companies had to wait until a player made the bigs (prospect premiers was an exception which ud fought for and won, but was all that years draft picks).

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Something else I just thought of that fueled the fire with the Pujols too, is that it was a redemption. So who knows how many went un-redeemed.

Its either 381 or 384 were redeemed.

Years ago, Beckett ran an article which stated how many were redeemed and it was one of the two numbers above

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Its either 381 or 384 were redeemed.

Years ago, Beckett ran an article which stated how many were redeemed and it was one of the two numbers above
I wonder what Topps did with the 100+ cards that weren't redeemed.
And do collectors have Pujols cards numbered up to 500, or did Topps send out the cards in numerical order, up until the 381th or 384th?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder what Topps did with the 100+ cards that weren't redeemed.
And do collectors have Pujols cards numbered up to 500, or did Topps send out the cards in numerical order, up until the 381th or 384th?

IIRC, all Pujols autos were made, however, I believe some were sent out as replacements for other damaged, high-end cards. So, I believe there may be more than the redeemed amount in circulation because of this. The article also said that they may use the remaining, unredeemed autos as "buy-backs" or prizes in the future

I don't think it specified if they sent them out in numerical order or if randomly

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Only topps was able to include minor leaguers back then in any product of theirs.

The other companies had to wait until a player made the bigs (prospect premiers was an exception which ud fought for and won, but was all that years draft picks).

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Did not know that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts