Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst card company ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Didn't Topps produce a set for each sport that was all ready in a plastic slab ? Sort of like PSA slabs. One card in each pack I think.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
My BEST ideas

-Topps/Panini/UD (whomever has the license) form a partnership with Nike/adidas/UA and insert a pack within shoe boxes. If you can get those collectors on board, you've got a whole new base. Plus I LOVE the idea of cards inserted into products. That's our origin and should get back to that.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Redemption cards with expiration dates are the worst. All the other ideas mentioned, I like some, dislike others, but none really make me upset. But if you buy a pack of cards more than 3 years old, or less in some cases, why should you not get the card you are promised? What do they do with them, throw them out? Backdoor them? Redemptions should be good for a MINIMUM of 10 years, if you're going to put a limit on it. And if you can't fulfill the redemption for some reason, send the person a full box of cards, or a generous replacement, not going by Beckett or ebay or some other ridiculous metric. Be UP FRONT and GENEROUS about how you'll compensate your customer for your screwup.

Not to mention the fact that redemptions open the door for shenanigans about promising value they potentially never intend to deliver. Redemption cards for things that will never be made, or autographs of players they don't have under contract, all sorts of ridiculous things. There was that golden baseball fiasco. Something like a gold-leafed baseball signed by Willie Mays, except Mays wasn't under contract, or refused to sign it, or something. Took forever to get that item to that person.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Remember those "dare to tear?" cards where a mini card is inside with a random value? They should bring back that concept but only put shtty tablecloth cards on the inside. :lol:

I do! I had a box of them last year or the year before. I did not dare to tear.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Rip Girl Autographs

Oh, and this...

s-l1600.jpg

Couldn't even get the Bowman Scout to hand sign their own card.

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Rip Girl Autographs

Oh, and this...

View attachment 88063

Couldn't even get the Bowman Scout to hand sign their own card.

At least with those Bowman Scout cards you have a shot at pulling a sweet [MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION] autograph....what I cannot stand is when they insert trading cards of Topps employees! My Topps Heritage case hit was a box topper of their executive team *BARF!!!!* I was excited at first because before opening it I saw the odds of pulling them were really tough...but as soon as I saw the tag team of old white dudes I began pondering what I would do with it....burn it? Samurai sword it to death? Boil it in acid? Or maybe just draw funny pictures on it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Topps "innovative" ideas. Cool the first year or two and then they overdo it to death.

Topps reprints in what seems like every flagship release. Especially I opened a box of flagship from a few years ago the other day and one of the Berger's Best inserts was a reprint of the front of that year's card (Buster Posey I think was the player). Lame to have a reprint of a card in that card's same year release! I was not sick of the buybacks because those are cool. It's overdoing it on the reprints that I don't like.

1988 UD Documentary - awesome idea but horrible execution in that they didn't even use an image from the game that the card was detailing.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
This is a 2013 bowman chrome sapphire reprint of Yasiel's rookie card.

It was issued the same year as the rookie card it's reprinting.

So it's a reprint of a rookie card which also happens to be a rookie card.Screenshot_20190405-010836.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I felt the best of the base sets I liked the 1993 Ultra it was my favorite wish they had Jeter in that set would have over 100 right now if they made one and why I had to get the 2001 Auto all those years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online