Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TUESDAY Updates (frank thomas returns, gotg!) from vegas industry summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Heres frank signing & the card

Looks like an old TCMA card. I dig it!

p-501200-john-mcgraw-baseball-card-1980-tcma-98-new-york-giants-aw-40256.jpg

A_Pharis

Agreed. But it has to be all original, right? It can't be a bunch of different parts from different sets because, let's be honest, there's not much of a market for sets that aren't original and it would take months of it sitting on the shelves to sell....:rolleyes:

LOL!

I want it... but it'd be a tough sell. Not everyone walks in asking for an 1800's gambling kit.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Looks like an old TCMA card. I dig it!

p-501200-john-mcgraw-baseball-card-1980-tcma-98-new-york-giants-aw-40256.jpg

Not to be a stickler but the original design was from 1960 Leaf baseball which I am sure is what BG was trying to emulate with the Frank Thomas card and NOT a TCMA or Renata Gallaso type design. (although those designes were taken from the 1960 Leaf look) It is one of the cleanest vintage looks and I applaud BG for bringing back this design.

1960 Leaf Baseball Cards: Plain Vanilla

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Not to be a stickler but the original design was from 1960 Leaf baseball which I am sure is what BG was trying to emulate with the Frank Thomas card and NOT a TCMA or Renata Gallaso type design. (although those designes were taken from the 1960 Leaf look) It is one of the cleanest vintage looks and I applaud BG for bringing back this design.

1960 Leaf Baseball Cards: Plain Vanilla

Lol I completely forgot about that set. Thanks for refreshing my mind. I even owned a few of the 60 Leafs lol

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Lol I completely forgot about that set. Thanks for refreshing my mind. I even owned a few of the 60 Leafs lol

The funny thing is when I read your post I agreed right away and then a light went off in my head regarding the '60 Leaf. I remember getting those Renata Galasso cards every year and send many of them away for TTM autographs which I still have. I had forgotten all about the '60 set and it has once again made me interested in possibly putting together a raw set as they are not all that expensive in the lesser grades. So thank YOU for making me look these up again! LOL

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Re: MONDAY (leaf & more) Updates from vegas industry summit

And by "metal" and "Valiant" technology, we're discussing Chrome, right?

I would rather talk about Chromium since that is what Comic Images called it when they released it before Topps in 1992.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: MONDAY (leaf & more) Updates from vegas industry summit

At the ud diamond dealer conference they just announced they have the mlbpa license!

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Re: MONDAY (leaf, ud gets mlbpa & more) Updates from vegas industry summit

Its kinda useless without mlb prop

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Not at all. Look at panini and NT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Re: MONDAY (leaf info plus ud gets mlbpa & more) Updates from vegas industry summit

At the ud diamond dealer conference they just announced they have the mlbpa license!

They had one after they lost the mlb license and didn't do a damn thing with it.

I'm hofmichael and I approve this message.

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
That set didnt need a pa deal.
You are right, but Upper Deck has a lot it can do with a MLBPA deal since it also has the NCAA deal, unlike Panini that just has the MLBPA contract. I like what Upper Deck oes in football, and if they do similar thing in baseball with a mix of current and retired players I think they can make ome good products if it is on a limited basis.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Re: MONDAY (leaf info plus ud gets mlbpa & more) Updates from vegas industry summit

You are right, but Upper Deck has a lot it can do with a MLBPA deal since it also has the NCAA deal, unlike Panini that just has the MLBPA contract. I like what Upper Deck oes in football, and if they do similar thing in baseball with a mix of current and retired players I think they can make ome good products if it is on a limited basis.

A college baseball set would probably be pretty bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts