Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about 1991 Topps Desert Shield. Fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi all, I recently purchased a raw 1991 Topps Desert Shield David Justice that looks a little different from the examples I already have in my collection and any of the ones I could find online. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your help.

-E-
45097833_10161070070040652_5555511408210214912_n.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
How to Spot a Fake Topps Desert Shield Card

A true Desert Shield card should have the following characteristics:
• Desert Shield logo should be 13mm X 15 mm
• Desert Shield logo should have a rounded bottom
• Desert Shield logo should be "crisp" and not fuzzy
• The logo can be either goldish or slightly silver - both colors seem to be legitimate
• Stars on the Flag should not be fuzzy
• The card should be a Glow Back (i.e. fluoresce under UV light). The red 40th Anniversary should jump out under UV light.
• The tip of the bottom-most palm leaf should point between the "R & A" in " O P E R A T I O N"; fake logos have the word " OPERATION" shifted slightly to the left.

The last point in the list above is one of the 2 most obvious tells of fake Desert Shield card (the other being the glow back).

Info is from this informative thread I remembered reading on Net54 board. Original thread has links to photos of fake and real logos: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209297

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts