Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First and last serial numbers-- should they fetch more $$?

Should 1st and last serial numbered cards be worth more than other #'d cards in the same PR?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm wondering if you guys think the 1st and last serial numbered cards in their print runs should fetch more $ than non-first and non-last serial numbered cards?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
As a player collector, the only one I might pay a bit more for is the jersey number.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I'd probably rather have 1/xx than some random number but not sure if I'd pay much of a premium for it. I really liked the idea of what they used to do with Longevity cards where the first one was basically a 1/1.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I pick them up when I can. Like [MENTION=12560]Gjb70[/MENTION] pointed out they are better than random numbers. It depends on the card also. With everything serial numbered they are more common. Numbered cards like 1/5 or 1/10 are not too appealing but find me a Yankee '01 Topps Gold #d 0001/2001 and I want it in my collection. It depends on the players fan base also. If 2 guys collect first runs of let's say Derek Jeter naturally that would bring more than Brett Gardner. My overall preference would be the jersey number.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Jersey number for player collectors always has a premium. I like the #1 if i am off my meds i pay more for that number.

Last edited:

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I personally don't think they should fetch more $ and wouldn't pay extra for a particular number. I know others do and that's cool too. Being a Puckett collector, I see where his 34/XX numbering do better than the others. I'm just happy to add new cards to my collection and don't worry about what number it is.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Not at all. Also, people selling them as 1/1s are scum of the 'bay. EVERY numbered card is a 1/1 by that flawed logic. There's nothing inherently special about having 001/500 or 1000/1000, the odds of getting that # are the same as any other.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Most definitely yes. Not sure how someone could disagree with this... #1 is way cooler than #228 ... First off the production line or last of the production line has always had a special place in the hearts of collectors.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Not at all. Also, people selling them as 1/1s are scum of the 'bay. EVERY numbered card is a 1/1 by that flawed logic. There's nothing inherently special about having 001/500 or 1000/1000, the odds of getting that # are the same as any other.

I list every single card as a 1/1 even base cards.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I list every single card as a 1/1 even base cards.

Lol!

Seriously, I have no preference. Not even with cards numbered to the players jersey number. I know another Bagwell collector here prefers them and there have been a few times I buy something from him because he ends up with a double when he finds the jersey number version. To me, they don't really matter.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I just take it as a pleasant bonus but don't really factor it into my bidding habits. If a first or last is listed at a buck or two higher than a different number I'd probably pay that very small difference but not what I would deem a "premium"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Should they fetch more? No. Do they fetch more? Often times they do. As pointed out, jersey numbers or other significant numbers (career milestones, significant dates as serial numbers, etc) have grown into a popular alternative collecting stream for many. In some cases, the premiums are huge.

I will say that a 1000/1000 does look better to the eye than a 681/1000.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
As of right now I have about 250 Ripken cards with First, Last and Jersey number serial numbers. They are part of my PC but separate from the main PC. They are a collection of their own, if you will. But like most, I wouldn't go out of my way to find them or pay too much more for them. I also set aside the 80 / 080 / 808 / or any combinations of zeroes and eights.

However, If I have the 0008 / 0088 / 0800 / 0808 and so on, I might go after the others a little more aggressive but that's a looooooong shot. The most I have is two of any card and I got them both by accident.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The same goes when I have the first and last, then I will have to chase the jersey number or any combination of these three..

attachment.php

attachment.php

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Should they fetch more? No. Do they fetch more? Often times they do. As pointed out, jersey numbers or other significant numbers (career milestones, significant dates as serial numbers, etc) have grown into a popular alternative collecting stream for many. In some cases, the premiums are huge.

I will say that a 1000/1000 does look better to the eye than a 681/1000.

That's because we are bored. We need to admit that.

sbib

Aug 17, 2008
As a player collector, the serial # only matters to me when it is the players jersey #.
As a set builder, it does not matter at all to me

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I remember the Tanaka red ice RC /25 2014 Bowman jersey number sold for $999.99 at release, and I hit the purple ice /10 and so I was excited to get more than that, but then a purple ice sold for $800 and I realized how much someone valued the jersey # over even the shorter print run card. Then Tanaka got hurt and the values dropped on all his stuff anyway.

Members online