Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Gomez is a sack of crap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Is there a disconnect between Caucasian/or simply American and Latin players? This seems to be magnified when these two dynamics are mixed.

Stereotypical as it may be, Latin players seem to have more temper issues. It's that spicey Latin blood!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Stereotypical as it may be, Latin players seem to have more temper issues. It's that spicey Latin blood!

I'm totally going off memory but Gomez/Braves, Jose Fernandez, Gomez/Cole were the last three that came to mind and all involve a Latin player.

I guess my question is--If Jose Fernandez gives up a jack to Gomez, and Gomez pimps it all to hell, does Fernandez do anything? I doubt it.

I don't think it's a right/wrong issue. It's a norm issue. McCann was taught a certain way, and Gomez was taught a certain way. I think it's wrong to say there is only one way to play.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Living in Milwaukee and going to many Brewers games, I've seen Gomez since he came to the Brewers in 2010. He's turning out to be a slightly above average CF but he has way too many theatrics. The guy loves to dive for balls that don't need to be dove for and hot dogs regularly. I don't have a problem with players showing flair but I feel there's a certain level that must be attained before a player has earned the right. Gomez acts like a player who's been a 10x AS not a one timer.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
"Don't tap his shin guards."

-DatDudeBP

http://vimeo.com/m/14108530

I love the Reds announcers during this.

What you only see once in the video, from a wide shot, is Phillips walk up to the batters box, tap Yadi's shin guard, and probably say something to him. Then step out and take some practice swings, and then get back in the box, and Yadi got in his face and all Hell broke loose. Who knows, Phillips could have said something smartass to Molina that he didn't appreciate?

And the Reds announcers trashing Carpenter is funny to me. Brendan Ryan DESERVED to have Carpenter unleash the beast on him.

And who really suffered in all of this is Jason LaRue. Because this fight ended his CAREER! Johnny Queto kicked him in the head with his spikes, and literally ended his career. And Queto was only suspended a couple games. I still think that he should have at least been booted the entire season. If not for life. You just can't do that. Unacceptable.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
This might be just me, but who is really the bigger punk? The guy who throws the first punch, or the guy who gets in the face and does everything he can to get the other to throw a punch so he can say he didn't start it. That said I don't support fighting in the game, unless someone is intentionally put in harms way (Ian Kennedy throwing at Greinke's head).

Also, after review of the footage, Cole really didn't do too much. Cole and Gomez shared some words, and it was fine. Then the pirates bench cleared and someone (I thought it was Russell Martin) else got Gomez to go. Everything would have been fine, just a little jawing, if the the pirates didn't clear the bench for no reason at all.

As a side note, I showed the video to my friend who is a more casual baseball fan, and he didn't even think Gomez did much of a HR trot anyway. He said the pitcher was just being a big baby.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
http://vimeo.com/m/14108530

I love the Reds announcers during this.

What you only see once in the video, from a wide shot, is Phillips walk up to the batters box, tap Yadi's shin guard, and probably say something to him. Then step out and take some practice swings, and then get back in the box, and Yadi got in his face and all Hell broke loose. Who knows, Phillips could have said something smartass to Molina that he didn't appreciate?

And the Reds announcers trashing Carpenter is funny to me. Brendan Ryan DESERVED to have Carpenter unleash the beast on him.

And who really suffered in all of this is Jason LaRue. Because this fight ended his CAREER! Johnny Queto kicked him in the head with his spikes, and literally ended his career. And Queto was only suspended a couple games. I still think that he should have at least been booted the entire season. If not for life. You just can't do that. Unacceptable.

We've been round and round about this topic and will always blame Carp for what happened. All hell did not break loose when BP tapped Yadi. All hell broke loose when Carp escalated it for a SECOND time. Something was said, and what was said seemed to be directed at Dusty. The truth of what was said has never came out and I'm sure Carp would be ostracized like John Rocker if it ever did.

As for Cueto, you don't pin desperate people against objects and expect them to submit to your wishes. He did what he thought he had to do to escape and I don't blame him one bit. LaRue was a fan-favorite for years in Cincy and it's unfortunate that he was kicked in the head, but someone in Toms could have triggered a career ending concussion for Jason. This was not his first (20 other concussions) rodeo and to pin the end of a career on Cueto is a little negligent.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
We've been round and round about this topic and will always blame Carp for what happened. All hell did not break loose when BP tapped Yadi. All hell broke loose when Carp escalated it for a SECOND time. Something was said, and what was said seemed to be directed at Dusty. The truth of what was said has never came out and I'm sure Carp would be ostracized like John Rocker if it ever did.

As for Cueto, you don't pin desperate people against objects and expect them to submit to your wishes. He did what he thought he had to do to escape and I don't blame him one bit. LaRue was a fan-favorite for years in Cincy and it's unfortunate that he was kicked in the head, but someone in Toms could have triggered a career ending concussion for Jason. This was not his first (20 other concussions) rodeo and to pin the end of a career on Cueto is a little negligent.

200_s.gif

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Jeter pimped a double down the line earlier this year and almost got thrown out at second. He hit the ball 330 and pimped it, but we don't talk about that cause he is Jeter, below replacement defensive SS great singles hitter, and the pitcher didn't cry about it. Gomez hit the ball around 390-400 to center off the wall in what I believe is not a hitter friendly park and he pimped it less than Jeter and got a triple, but Cole cried about it and another pirate goaded him into throwing a punch. If you don't want to get pimped, throw better pitches. If you are upset about it, hit him next AB or strike him out and pimp him when you do it.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm totally going off memory but Gomez/Braves, Jose Fernandez, Gomez/Cole were the last three that came to mind and all involve a Latin player.

I guess my question is--If Jose Fernandez gives up a jack to Gomez, and Gomez pimps it all to hell, does Fernandez do anything? I doubt it.

I don't think it's a right/wrong issue. It's a norm issue. McCann was taught a certain way, and Gomez was taught a certain way. I think it's wrong to say there is only one way to play.

100% agree with the caveat that I doubt McCann was ever taught to block home plate on a tater trot.

GoGo gets plunked in the ribs, that's fine. However, he might lose his mind and would have started something anyway. I'd not be surprised if Cole's "rookie" status was part of the issue (for Gomez). Which might be why Fernandez would have chose discression (that's an assumption).

I know, listening to the interview, that Gomez doesn't think he did anything wrong. IDK. There are many ways to feel about bat flips. I'd give him a slight pass because he RUNS the bases on homers (plus, I'm a homer :) ).

Members online

Latest posts