Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BBWAA strips Dan Le Batard of his HOF vote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Not surprised, but I think that Dan made many re-think the voting process. Hopefully, this will make those in charge of the HOF voting take another look at their process.
DANNY

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
BTW, the fans voted for the 10 names and Dan Le Batard approved prior to sending the ballot.......does this sound familiar? YES.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...s-for-a-third-college-football-season-on-espn
The Heisman House supports Nissan's long-running sponsorship of the Heisman Memorial Trophy Award. Developed in collaboration with TBWA\Chiat\Day, OMD and ESPN's in-house creative team, CreativeWorks, the concept revolves around the online platform, www.NissanHeismanHouse.com, where fans can vote for the next Heisman Trophy winner.

Nissan has a Heisman vote and they let the fan choose....much like deadspin.com did. Furthermore, Le Batard's vote is one of over 500 ballots which can include up to 10 names unlike the Heisman where the 870 votes rank players.

Again GO DAN!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10269700&src=desktop

Well deserved in my opinion.

This is the kind of publicity stunt crap that needs to go away.

How is what he did a publicity stunt?

He accepted nothing in return for letting Deadspin put the vote to fans and lost his MLB credentials for one year.

If anything, he's gained more negative publicity for it.

It's not well deserved and it is serving its purpose of showing how screwed up the HOF voting process is and how highly they regard themselves.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why don't Hall of Famers get a vote like past Oscar winners do?
And why is it only writers, and not broadcasters like Bob Costas and Vin Scully?
It was originally just writers because their were no TV broadcasters in 1933 when voting began.
But I don't understand why writers still get exclusive rights to vote, but not other members of the media and members of the Hall of Fame.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
How is what he did a publicity stunt?

He accepted nothing in return for letting Deadspin put the vote to fans and lost his MLB credentials for one year.

If anything, he's gained more negative publicity for it.

It's not well deserved and it is serving its purpose of showing how screwed up the HOF voting process is and how highly they regard themselves.

Negative attention is still attention.

That said, there are a lot of people who's vote I think should no longer be considered.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
The whole voting needs to be evaluated. This years voters included a newspaper food/dining writer and other writers no longer covering sports let alone baseball.

Go Dan Le Batard

Again, even guys who covered baseball for ten years to get a vote, should lose their vote if they no longer cover baseball, including the food writer.

But guys who pull stunts like Le Batard, and the dunce from LA who voted only for Morris, and then discredited his own stance should no longer be given votes.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Sometimes you have to make a statement to point out, how bad things are. HOF voting is a joke as it stands. Almost everyone involved agrees. I have no problem with using a publicity stunt, to show/tell the HOF how messed up their process is right now.

He will take heat for what he did, but I'm all for trying to take a stand against the joke, that the HOF has become.

The people he sold to, probably knew as much baseball as some of the voters and weren't half as biased/jaded.

Totally different level(not comparing the severity of reasons for cause of action), but some thought the Boston tea party was the act of fools. A statement needed to be made and was. While this is no where near as serious or courageous of an act, Im glad he did it.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I guess I don't feel like he was making a statement, as much as it was an attention grab.

He also believes that Bonds and Clemens should be in the hall, which I don't agree with... Unless he's just saying that for attention too.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
The HOF should be accepting 10 HOF this year, the 10 on his ballot. I don't see the problem. The issue is all the other holier than thou writers playing games with their ballots.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I guess I don't feel like he was making a statement, as much as it was an attention grab.

He also believes that Bonds and Clemens should be in the hall, which I don't agree with... Unless he's just saying that for attention too.

Granted, letting others vote for you isn't the best way to go about ones issues with the voting process BUT there are issues and if no-one brings attention to it, then the issue just gets swept under the rug. Kudos to anyone trying to shed some light on the issue. Also, no offense, but its completely moronic to say neither Bonds nor Clemens should be in the hall. Both were either close to being the best or were the best of their era at their positions.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Who of the 10 players on his ballot are not HOF worthy? They were all 10 solid votes IMHO and his ballot was not the only one that selected those players. Had his ballot been a vote for a person that received only one vote his ballot would have been a charade.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I never said anything about the players on his ballot other than Bonds and Clemens.

And sorry [MENTION=1797]chromerookies[/MENTION] but I don't accept your judgment of "moronic" for wanting to keep those two out of the hall.

Both were great, but both screwed themselves when they started using.

This is reflected in the fact that both of their vote percentages went down significantly this year.

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I think it's crazy that he got his right to vote taken away. His 10 picks all well deserving votes.

The point is that it doesn't have anything to do with who was on his ballot.

My personal opinion (and many others) is that he did this to draw attention to himself, and his radio and TV shows.

There are plenty of ways to go about voicing your displeasure with the voting process. The HOF itself had a committee focusing on these very issues last year that many voters/writers took part in.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
No voting process is fair. Arrow's Impossibility Theorem stands true even here.

Assume that today they tossed the current voting system out. What do they replace it with? How do they make a more fair system that won't result in a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth?

Members online

Latest posts