Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Time Has Come for Tighter Moderation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Sorry to come in 14 pages late, but i saw this the other day and finally got around to writing this.

Is there anything that can be done to increase the action on the transactions boards?

i would be more active searching the transaction boards if they were were broken down by decades. I see threads advertising low prices, but i open it up to find nothing but new product from the last few years, which does nothing to help my pc. And its not like i can just search Bagwell, because a majority of listings use photos and dont type in player names.

just a suggestion...

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
I like that a few that are against this are usually the ones playing mod. Or suggesting someone gets the boot. Most recently that was directed at Jon Mead, which I think is the type of person this thread is mostly about.

For those that thought they fit in this "tighter moderation" target... there's always the "open game" that I'm sure mods will allow some keyboard warriorism on. Example would be the thread with the non-auto, non-super, non-1/1 ARod buyback.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I do not believe that Jon Mead and Posey Buster (the two that pushed the rudness over the top) are bad people.

I do believe that both can be active and productive members of this community. I've had pleasant interactions with both. Once their behavior adjusts to the more adult community that this is, then all should be good with them.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Topps tried. He was trolled off the forum.
It's not about manning up - it's about not wanting to deal with trolls. To say it's human nature and that it should be accepted is ridiculous.

I don't recall any Topps rep being on the board and trolled.

But us, as customers, have a right to complain, and God knows Topps, and Leaf, give the consumers MANY reasons to complain.

This is a board of collectors. I would assume if I were a card manufacturer coming here to be part of the community, that I would be bombarded with negative feedback and constructive criticism. But people don't want to hear what they're doing wrong, and try to fix problems. They just want to hear what the people like.

A_Pharis

I don't recall any Topps rep being on the board and trolled.

But us, as customers, have a right to complain, and God knows Topps, and Leaf, give the consumers MANY reasons to complain.

This is a board of collectors. I would assume if I were a card manufacturer coming here to be part of the community, that I would be bombarded with negative feedback and constructive criticism. But people don't want to hear what they're doing wrong, and try to fix problems. They just want to hear what the people like.

I forget his name, but there was a Topps rep here. He didn't actively talk about how he was a rep - he mostly just lurked. Once his name got out, he got flooded with rants directed at Topps that should have been done differently. Once, again. I can't recall his name. But there's also a difference between airing a grievance and being a dick.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Bmb circa 2006?

Like that type of harshness where if one talks bad of fcb's founding fathers they will be beheaded?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

FCB has never been close to the chaos BMB was. It truly was like the wild west. That being said, it was an awesome place that bred unforgettable characters. Glad i was a part of it.

imho

I forget his name, but there was a Topps rep here. He didn't actively talk about how he was a rep - he mostly just lurked. Once his name got out, he got flooded with rants directed at Topps that should have been done differently. Once, again. I can't recall his name. But there's also a difference between airing a grievance and being a dick.

I believe the Topps rep was DINANBBS - when he was here he was very helpful. But I guess he couldn't take the barage of complaints, some of which were directed at him at times, so he left. We can be our own worst enemy sometimes.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I only chime in from time to time but feel at times some get a flogging because what they say or show with pics aren't up to others collectors levels. We all don't have giant collections worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to show off or write about.

There was a member that had his cards showcased with his McFarlane's, he was flogged because he wanted to display, not sell them at a local show. Why would he want to come back if he's gonna be run into the ground? At the National, several dealers and auction houses brought thousands of items to show off with no real intentions to sell, but this guy was railroaded for doing the same thing.

Another member was flogged just for asking info about a certain card that he believed to be a 1/1 or limited printing. Instead, he was told how bad of person he was just because he didn't agree with the assessment he had gotten from 2 users. Why would he come back?

Also, some self moderation should be done as well. If some would re read what they posted, maybe realize that the post comes off as being a ******, maybe edit the post later. I let a coworker read the forum with my tablet about a week ago and he added some commentary but under my screename, I didn't know he did that until others where saying WTH. I edited the comments and offered apology to those affected.

Firing off insults because of someone's collection or questions/comments just comes off as immaturity.

My $0.02
Fordman

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

Yeah you got the story completely wrong. They left not cause of being trolled yet the entitled dicks which would pm them every single issue known under the sun. Wahhh my redemption is taking 2 weeks to ship, wahhhh my card was a bit OC I DEMAND A new card which is GEM MINT, Wahhh I been on hold for 20 minutes.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I think if you want to calm things down around here you should have a sticky thread with a list of users who are known jackasses. If they were pointed out to an entire community such that we either block them or ignore them, I think they would eventually go away.

There are several people on here who I would never want to interact with or have to deal with because they are so full of themselves and quick to insult others or carry on with an issue for days because they have to be right or get the last word in. They reply to every single comment that is made that reflects something they said. They host contests and then don't honor them. They think there collections are the greatest and trash others. They find fault with everything that people post and never ever have anything positive to say. They are only here for attention because they probably didn't get it from mom and dad growing up and don't have any type of social interaction skills. I have no doubt they believe this is how you should behave and probably do not realize that they are complete jerks. These are the people that make FCB an undesirable place to be.

Alternatively, you could just quietly remove them from the community by banning them. You don't have to make a public scene about it or even post in threads. Send them a private first warning and then remove them the next time.

As for the transaction board and improving it, there aren't even that many daily posts to it anymore. Dividing by decade could certainly work if there was an increase in action with it. The question becomes how to stimulate a greater board presence and interaction on the forums, which, of course is what the moderator team appears to be working on and the point of this whole thread to begin with.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I think if you ran a survey of 3 things people who are familiar with the hobby online think when they hear fcb I would say these would be these 3

*baseball
*prospects
*Leaf/Razor

Now if you want the forum to grow you need to make the other sub forums stronger by either contests or cross promotions in coordination with new user sign ups (no referral crap). If this place had a strong basketball and football forum we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Now I understand its real simple to say this, its not like we hit a switch and the floodgates will open. But honestly if a forum had a mod and that forum is slow maybe its time to get a mod who can add something. Maybe access to new users in this sub forum, maybe they can be a well liked mod/blog writer elsewhere that people would come check out their content here.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I agree. I do not even bother looking at the basketball forum anymore because there is little activity. It is a shame because it is my favorite sport

I think if you ran a survey of 3 things people who are familiar with the hobby online think when they hear fcb I would say these would be these 3

*baseball
*prospects
*Leaf/Razor

Now if you want the forum to grow you need to make the other sub forums stronger by either contests or cross promotions in coordination with new user sign ups (no referral crap). If this place had a strong basketball and football forum we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Now I understand its real simple to say this, its not like we hit a switch and the floodgates will open. But honestly if a forum had a mod and that forum is slow maybe its time to get a mod who can add something. Maybe access to new users in this sub forum, maybe they can be a well liked mod/blog writer elsewhere that people would come check out their content here.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
i do not even see a mention of the new changes in the other forums. Why is that? Is it just assumed everyone who goes on this site goes on for baseball and will see the new changes?

*baseball
*prospects
*Leaf/Razor

We spend all this time focusing on someone getting butt hurt by words.. Or fear of them acquiring a sand accumulation in or near their vaginal walls. Why not focus on some of the positives.

If everyone says something nice about one poster in this thread.. Things will be better for tomorrow and tomorrow's children.

Dave Archer, I appreciate you and enjoy your use of punctuation!

See already healing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online