Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Before I'm label a crack-pot conspiracy theorist, here is why Jose Fernandez will be a Yankee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Greetings, kin folk. With the recent acquisition of Aroldis Chapman, and the pickup of Starlin Castro it has become evident that options are indeed on the table for the Yankees. Cashman can do the following:

-Hock Andrew Miller for a corner outfielder to the Cubs once the Yankees package Gardner.
-Keep Miller, Betances, and Chapman which could possibly be the best pen in the game's history.
-OR they could go after some guy named Jose Fernandez.

Now, before the pitch forks and torches are brought out, here is why the recent acquisitions of Chapman and Castro Jose Fernandez will soon become a Yankee:

-Aroldis Chapman can be dealt to the Marlins (Miami has a strong Cuban population) and he's young flamethrower. The Marlins would need him to agree to an extension, however.
-Andrew Miller used to be a Marlin, so the Yankees can also deal him instead of Chapman. Marlins owner Jeff Loria has a nack for making stupid trades.
-The Yankees acquired Starlin Castro at a very cheap rate (Adam Warren and Brendan Ryan) and he's only owed 39 million through 2019 which makes him desirable.
-I know it sounds crazy, but Dustin Ackley wouldn't be that bad of a second baseman.
-Chapman/Miller, Gardner/Castro, Jorge Mateo, James Kaprielian and Aaron Judge for Fernandez? Is this giving away too much considering the Marlins said no to Corey Seager and a boat load of others?
-The acquisition of Fernandez would decrease the reliance on C.C. Sabathia and move him to the bullpen. That knee isn't what it used to be.
-The starting five in 2016 would be as follows: Jose Fernandez, Masahiro Tanaka, Luis Severino, Nathan Eovaldi, and Michael Pineda.
-Four out of these five starting pitchers are a few years away from free agency which means the Yankees are saving a ton of money.
-The Yankees are trying to get under the 189 million dollar luxury tax threshold and the acquisition of Fernandez makes sense considering all of the money coming off of the books in the next two seasons.

THE CONS

-The Yankees would be giving up the farm and then some for a 23 year old Tommy John surgery victim so there is an incredible amount of risk.
-The Yankees would evaporate the get younger mentality that they spent the past three years re-building by giving away the organizational gems.
-Trading Chapman would not preserve the long-term health of Betances and Miller because they would need to cover the innings that Warren and Wilson would have given them. Betances doesn't need to be abused like Joe Torre mutilated Scott Proctor.
-This move doesn't seem Cashman-esque, but then again because of the revenue sharing the Yankees have operated differently lately. The Yankees would have to grossly overpay. The Yankees usually do that with dollar signs, not players.

One can dream, but Chapman to the Yankees gives the club a lot of options. I can't wait to see if Cashman thinks the same way that I'm thinking right now.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Dream? Sounds much more like a nightmare giving up that much for a TJ victim. That starting staff leaves a lot to be desired but u could probably get Sonny Gray for less. I dunno y the marlins want to part with him. He's the draw if Stanton gets hurt....again

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
No, that won't happen, or at the very least your proposed package from the Yankees is woefully inadequate. As you yourself said, the Marlins turned down a deal with the Dodgers that would have included Corey Seager, widely considered the best prospect in the game. They reportedly asked the Red Sox for a package including Mookie Betts, Christian Vazquez, Eduardo Rodriguez, Yoan Moncada, and another pitcher, likely Henry Owens. If true, the Marlins are after controllable players that are Major League-ready or very close. They absolutely would not be taking on the salary that Chapman/Miller and Gardner/Castro would be getting. Also, Gardner and Castro are not good enough players to be getting in this type of deal, both players would be salary dumps by the Yankees and the Marlins will not be wanting to take on anything like that. The fact of the matter is that Jose Fernandez is under team control for a few more years. The Marlins do not need to trade him, and if they do, they are going to want players that can step in right away and be stars. Your offer is too full of players that are years away, past their prime, or expensive. The Marlins are going to want to be blown away by an offer. If the Yankees are going to get him, the offer starts with Severino and Judge/Bird, and likely Sanchez, and the Yankees would have to give more than that. I don't think the Yankees have the assets to get Fernandez, only a few teams do.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
^is that true? I read the Marlins asked for Seager Pederson Urias plus two more and Dodgers walked. Never read that the "Marlins turned down a deal with the Dodgers that would have included Corey Seager..."

From what I have heard Dodgers haven't offered him in anything...source?

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
^is that true? I read the Marlins asked for Seager Pederson Urias plus two more and Dodgers walked. Never read that the "Marlins turned down a deal with the Dodgers that would have included Corey Seager..."

Steve Adams from mlbtraderumors.com talked about it in his chat.
I have a screenshot but can't upload it on my phone for some reason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.

lol...i hope so.

Members online

Latest posts