Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frustrating variation stories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I need a handful of the Ultra Rare Double Takes out of 2010 UD.

I've never seen a copy of the Heath Bell UR, so I still don't know what to look for.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
The main variation problem I have is that both Beckett and the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards list this:

Except that there is no error version of this card. Yes, the set had two print runs, and yes there were several variations between them (all of the multi-player cards and the "PRIME TIME" vs Deion "PRIME TIME" Sanders cards), but neither the Meulens, nor the Ricky Jordan, have error versions. Both the Meulens and Jordan had errors in the 1989 set, but no corrections. Both cards only exist in correct versions in 1990. I have opened three copies of the "error" 1990 set (took me years to get my hands on them), and probably 5-6 of the corrected set. So unless there was some third distribution method for the 1990 Classic Baseball set, those two variations need to be removed from the "big books".

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
The main variation problem I have is that both Beckett and the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards list this:

Except that there is no error version of this card. Yes, the set had two print runs, and yes there were several variations between them (all of the multi-player cards and the "PRIME TIME" vs Deion "PRIME TIME" Sanders cards), but neither the Meulens, nor the Ricky Jordan, have error versions. Both the Meulens and Jordan had errors in the 1989 set, but no corrections. Both cards only exist in correct versions in 1990. I have opened three copies of the "error" 1990 set (took me years to get my hands on them), and probably 5-6 of the corrected set. So unless there was some third distribution method for the 1990 Classic Baseball set, those two variations need to be removed from the "big books".

Speaking of this I actually need the Sanders card that just says PRIME TIME on it. I have been entering my collection on a site and recently did my Sanders collection so that was why this post made me think of it.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Speaking of this I actually need the Sanders card that just says PRIME TIME on it. I have been entering my collection on a site and recently did my Sanders collection so that was why this post made me think of it.
The only copy I have left has a dinged corner, but it's yours if you want it.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I finally nailed down a variation I've been hunting for years. It's worth about $0.50-$1.00 but took me almost 2 decades to find.

The 1988 Bazooka.

There are a total of four variations of this:

Single Star in the copyright line, gray stock.
Two Star in the copyright line, gray stock.
Single Star in the copyright line, white stock.
Two Star in the copyright line, white stock.

I had been looking for the Single Star, Gray Stock version. After years of having nobody respond to my queries to look at the cards (obviously for a card that inexpensive it'll be tough to find someone that will bother looking at the details for you), I finally just started buying every one I could. Ended up in my first batch buying 37 and lo and behold, found a total of one!

This got me thinking, I wonder does anyone else has a similar story, hopefully better?

f-6459.jpg
b-6459.jpg

I take this approach sometimes as well. I do tend to hoard some of the players I collect though. I guess that why I nearly have a 5000 ct box full of McGriff doubles.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not a frustrating story, but I found that I had a previously unknown (to me) glossy version of one of those Pacific Greats sets, 1990 I think. I just happened to catch it as I was scanning through a small stack of cards and it really stood out. I believe those must have been sold as full sets.

Jan 14, 2009
You do realize that these are nods to well known variations in the 1967 Topps set, right? Topps has done that nearly every year of Heritage.

This year is out of control. The dot over an I, a bat with a green end but the nuttiest one to me is the Joe Mauer "error" no black line under his total stats. Look that up and explain how that is some ssp, that annoyed the crap outta me

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Apparently I had a set of each correct and error. Opened them both up, no dice. Both were correct.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I'm SO glad I got out of the Heritage game in '09. Collecting master sets used to be fun and somewhat doable, but it got crazy in '09 when SSPs got crazy. The year before with the Smoltz and Santana was the beginning of the end.

In the same boat on the '92 Black Gold. The Butler is on my list, but I've almost given up hope.

The most frustrating item on my list is the '97 Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition. [MENTION=2840]BunchOBull[/MENTION] alerted me that there was one on COMC, but soon after let me know that it had just sold.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
You're right on that. I've just been going through all the 92 Leaf Black backs on COMC. After much squinting (then zooming) I think only Series 2 players can be found with both versions. Series 1 players all seem to be without the period EXCEPT the Cal Ripken card, which does have a period (but no version without a period on 17 copies). So I guess there's a small chance that there are two versions, but I'm 99.9% sure now Grace only has the one version.

Thanks for that. I have never seen the Alomar with the period on the INC, and that is a series 1 card too. It's still on my checklist, but now with the old "(?)" by it, which means I'll most likely never bother looking for it again.

Members online