Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst card company ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Sorry Mike, but I concur with Chris here. You did an awesome job and I still have that set floating around here somewhere..
I happen to think that you still have it in you so let's focus on the positive and not the negative mmkay my friend? ;)

Btw way it's nice to see you make an appearance. So many of us have gone our separate ways to a degree over the years.. :sad:

And speaking of which, I suggest we all try and pick a day that would work out for most of our long lost friends to get back together for an Online FCB Cookout! It would have to be BYOB of course and maybe Chris could hand out some virtual prize giveaways as well!! :cool:
Every once in a while I make an appearance, but great to see you around Randy.

I'd be up for whatever Chris and Tim cook up.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
You mean like the fairly new MICHAEL JORDAN ugly cards in Hanes underwear packs I've already seen on eBay asking $50 for a pack of (4) underwear and a 3-card Jordan pack?
The TV commercial had the audacity to say that (10) TEN Michael Jordan autographs are randomly inserted. He's their sports spokesman and even Hanes couldn't get him to sign more than TEN autographs??? You know they made at least 100,000+ Hanes underwear packs with Jordan cards (is it 3 cards per pack?).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I HATE STICKER AUTOGRAPHS, THAT WAS THE WORST CREATION IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS CARDS! :cry:

Brian Gray was the second dumbest thing created by the sports card hobby for sure!

T.J. Schwartz was the third dumbest thing created by the sports card hobby.

Mainly Topps/Upper Deck Baseball factory sets with special Inserts, or Cereal promotions that are easily opened so people open the sets/boxes with BASEBALL INSERT CARDS (or the Post Cereal card, 2002 Post mini bobble-heads, and so many others) and stick them in their pockets after opening every set/box in the store (and then making a nice free little fortune on eBay) like:

Every time I went into my local Albertson's grocery store in early to mid-2002; kids were opening Post Cereal boxes and pulling out the mini bobble-head figures that were right on top of the boxes in plastic packages. Then I looked on eBay & sellers were getting $100 for the (10) figure set!!! I bought the same exact full set on eBay 3-years ago for $10.00 + $3.00 S&H??? Now knuckleheads want $10 each for some of the same figures again, but you can still find FULL SETS for $10.00. Go figure.

1994 & 1995 Collector's Choice Factory Sealed Sets with (5) Gold cards or (15) gold cards respectively. Dealers wanted $50.00-$80.00 each for the 1994 Gold- Griffey, F. Thomas, and Cal Ripken back then and $3-$5 for COMMONS! I knew at least a dozen local collectors/dealers who were making Gold sets. These were just laying on top of the cards in a cellophane pack. So people just ripped off the thin plastic Topps shrink wrap seal & they had easy access to the packs, dumb!

Topps did the same thing with very easy access to the special cards:
1993 Topps Baseball with (10) ToppsGold, (3) ToppsBlackGold, and (9) '94 Pre-Production cards, 1994 Topps Retail Factory Sets with a 1995 Topps Finest pre-production, '95 Bowman pre-production & regular '95 Topps pre-production, 1994 Topps Hobby Factory sets with (9) '95 pre-production cards, (3) card Superstar Samplers, (1) ToppsGold AND (3) ToppsBlackGold, 1995 Topps sets with (10) Opening Day cards & (7) card Cyberstat set, 1996 Topps Baseball Factory sets with "Tri-Cards" OR pack of (5) Mickey Mantle B&W cards, etc. etc, Then the 2000's Topps Factory sets with the (5) card ROOKIES packs. 2008-2012 Mantle Gold Chrome Reprints, 2007 Topps with the Mantle RELIC cards, and on & on.

Almost no one were buying the factory sets by 1994 in retail stores in Florida. They had already been opened by someone who stole only the bonus card packs or special cards!

SO THESE WERE ONE OF THE WORST IDEAS ANY CARD COMPANY EVER CAME UP WITH!

When is one of those incurable diseases you made up in your head finally gonna off you?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
This is like DWade retirement game. The whole banana boat comes out to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Sounds delicious.

I'll bring the family.

If we start driving now, we should be there in 30 hours...give or take a few for bathroom breaks.

Bruh

Planes are a thing. I'll send an uber to the airport for you.

Man, wish I'd seen this earlier. But I must say that I absolutely refuse to travel in cars, airplanes or even ubers. This is because I deserve to travel only with the utmost style and comfort because I deserve it. So I've just checked on several different resources and explained to all of them:

Do you know who I am?

I don't know how to put this but, I'm kind of a Big Deal. People know me.

The only place that didn't hang up on me said it would take me 19 hours and 50 minutes to arrive by Greyhound...so unfortunately
I won't be able to make it in time! I'm bummed..

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
When is one of those incurable diseases you made up in your head finally gonna off you?

My diagnoses: Advanced General Myasthenia Gravis with Hyperthymusism (XL Thymus Gland that blocks meds from working), Degenerative Disk Disease (6 massively herniated discs w/pinched nerves in my neck [C3-C7] & low back [L4-L5/S1]), and Fibromyalgia.

Want to see doctor's notes too? Can you possibly be more of a @sshole?

Be glad you are healthy, what did I ever do to you? :?:

James

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
My diagnoses: Advanced General Myasthenia Gravis with Hyperthymusism (XL Thymus Gland that blocks meds from working), Degenerative Disk Disease (6 massively herniated discs w/pinched nerves in my neck [C3-C7] & low back [L4-L5/S1]), and Fibromyalgia.

Want to see doctor's notes too? Can you possibly be more of a @sshole?

Be glad you are healthy, what did I ever do to you? :?:

James

James is the man.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Disabled canadian firefighters selling searched boxes of 2014 Bowman Draft, lousy graded cards in suitcases, and a random chance of a 2013 Bowman Chrome Kris Bryant Superfractor autos.

Hi guys.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Boy the peanut gallery is certainly drawn to certain threads like moths to a flame?

My vote is for MetMouse as the worst thing to happen to cards. He’s probably 30 with kids now.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
My BEST ideas

-Topps/Panini/UD (whomever has the license) form a partnership with Nike/adidas/UA and insert a pack within shoe boxes. If you can get those collectors on board, you've got a whole new base. Plus I LOVE the idea of cards inserted into products. That's our origin and should get back to that.

https://www.facebook.com/301326396729324/posts/1060994757429147?sfns=mo

Almost as if Gary is listening to me. I’ll side with the billionaire.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yes to this too. I love cards that come with other products. Somehow they acquired the label "oddball" but damnit, this really is the origin of baseball cards.

And nobody does it anymore. I wish companies would pick up this idea again. About 90% of the "oddball" cards in my PC are pre-1997. For whatever reason, companies basically just stopped after that. Cryin' shame I say.

https://www.facebook.com/301326396729324/posts/1060994757429147?sfns=mo

Almost as if Gary is listening to me. I’ll side with the billionaire.