Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I am not going for it now but will keep option open for teh future so I do not want to give up one I do not have a double pattern of. I will however trade any dupes I have of an specific pattern and will let you know if I come across any Belle. Its just that currently I only have one dupe of any diffractor...a Dunwoody pat# 63.

Richard has alot of pattern #s is but since he has over 1/3rd of diffractor set and it had to enough to find a reasonably priced diffractor that he does not have already. Its just I cant ever find a new one to trade him. I think I have about 80-10o he does not have but I am not parting with them. If rinkrat was much closer to finishing all 8100 I might consider it but he still has 4800 or so diffractors to go. If I do find any he does not have he gets first dibs on it since we both helped each other out when doing the base 8100.

Last edited:

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
So I have an opinion question for you all. Say you are down to 5 tek base patterns to complete your player. You get offered one pattern you need but it would cost you a diffractor of your player. What would you do?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
So I have an opinion question for you all. Say you are down to 5 tek base patterns to complete your player. You get offered one pattern you need but it would cost you a diffractor of your player. What would you do?

I think I traded a diffractor for 2 patterns I needed. Diffractors are overrated and over valued at the moment but I wouldn't blame anyone for turning down that offer either. JMO

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC

You will eventually finish your base set. Once you do, you will wish you had the Diffractors (if you traded them). Of course, if your Diffractor is a dupe, that's a diff story.

Some other things I consider in this scenario:

- Diffractors are cool looking and I look at my collection (store them in albums). I love looking at Diffractors in the light. Base cards are blah.
- Diffractors are rarer, and I get a kick out of that.
- Base cards are so susceptible to various forms of damage - spotting (both clear and black), print lines, surface scratching, missing foil, miscuts, etc. Diffractors I've seen are far more likely to be in fantastic condition. I'm not sure why since I'm guessing they are basically base cards with a Diffractor overlay, but maybe the overlay hides abnormalities.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
My favorite pattern is Pattern 68. At one point I was going for the complete set of Pattern 68 and when I got about 1/3 of the way there I noticed something. Every single one of my cards had spotting. I have since given up on that goal because I hate spotting.

I used to wonder if the spotting issues correlated to specific patterns or specific players. Now I think it may be both. All 32 of my Pattern 68s are spotty. After our group box break awhile back all five of my Thomes were horribly spotty, while my Griffeys were mostly pristine. I have also noticed other players have issues with spotting - Edgar Martinez, for example. Some Jeters have this issue, and I've also noticed that Jeters sometimes have the black spotting.

Anyway, just trying to figure it out. One of my many 98 Tek goals is to put together a base set of 90 with all the cards that I consider to be nearly perfect. Surface scratches are the most difficult to avoid because as people shuffle through a stack of Tek the cards scrape each other up.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Thanks for the heads up on pattern 68. That is a pretty cool pattern. The only pattern 68 I have is a Thome and thankfully it's not spotted. Hopefully, everyone on here puts their Tek cards in soft sleeves to prevent scratching.:D

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
With most Tek base, if you look at them in the light from all angles, it can be tough to find perfect ones. Sometimes it's better to not look LOL

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Topps-...1452650504?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item27eb5fd408

Quick! Everyone go put in your best offer!

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Anyone have any of these 98 TEK for trade or sale?

Pattern # 1 Want List (Set # 2) ... 3,4,6,7,8,11,14,16,17,18,22,23,26,29,30,31,34,

Same Card #/ Pattern # Want List (Set # 2).....13,21,41,51,61,63,66

Same Card #/ Pattern # Want List (Set # 3).....2,5,6,7,8,9,13,14,15,21,23,23,29,30,31,
33,3 9,41,45,48,49,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,60,61,63,64,66, 67,69,74,76,78,81,

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Just discovered something incredibly annoying on Sportlots, at least for sellers of 1998 Teks. If you have multiple patterns for sale, and try to list them as a normal list, with commas (ex. Pattern 5, 8, 13, 15, 27, 69), for some reason, anything with commas gets deleted. My hypothetical example would show up as 'Pattern 69' if you click on item details. HUGE pain in the ass!

Actually, the more I look at this, that may not be accurate, but some kind of bug in their system can cause errors in the Details page. Many of mine, which are recent additions, do not have the correct info. Some have older info, which I overwrote at some point. Very weird.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts