Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What are the Yankees thinking!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Which is hardly a slap on the wrist for the majority of Owners and teams in the league.

Yes the Yankees are rich but I'm tired of hearing the argument that they have so much more money than everyone else which is just not true in terms of how much money the owners have available to them.

You took the words right out my mouth! Couldn't say it better myself

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Which is hardly a slap on the wrist for the majority of Owners and teams in the league.

Yes the Yankees are rich but I'm tired of hearing the argument that they have so much more money than everyone else which is just not true in terms of how much money the owners have available to them.
29 million is hardly a slap on the wrist?

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Thank you. I'm still not agreeing with your point of 300 million for him. 200 million then I say okay that's more realistic. There may be a few players worth 275-300 million and cano is not one of them.

I never said flat out give him 300 million, I was trying to say put in some effort and negotiate something both parties will agree to.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I never said flat out give him 300 million, I was trying to say put in some effort and negotiate something both parties will agree to.
Why don't you understand that the Yankees don't need to put in any effort right now....Cano is not negotiating with any team. Yankees have all the leverage in this situation.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school

They are negotiating. They've sent him a very nice offer. Probably the only realistic one he's received yet. He's said publicly he's going to wait till probably after Christmas and is prepared to wait even longer. The Yankees are doing the absolute right thing right now.
Why don't you understand that the Yankees don't need to put in any effort right now....Cano is not negotiating with any team. Yankees have all the leverage in this situation.

+10

At least someone understands the situation! Lol

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Way to read the rest of that sentence buddy!
29 million is hardly a slap on the wrist for the majority of the owners or teams in the league.
I read the rest of the sentence buddy. 29 million is 29 million, thats a lot more than a slap on the wrist to even the richest teams in the league.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
...... I'd just like to say please don't group all Yankee fans in the group with this guy.

They have made an offer of somewhere in the range of 160-210 million which is probably the top offer he will get. I am so happy to see the Yankees taking a hard stance against this unlike that ARod deal when he opted out. He's waiting as our most other big name free agents. One of the key reasons, Alex Rodriguez. If the Yankees get an extra 20 million-30 million in salary cap room from his suspension then they are back in the ball game for many big name free agents and thus prices will increase for other players.

IMO Cano gets a deal around 200 million maybe a bit more or a bit less but right around there.

Many GM's can open their checkbooks plenty wide and choose not to. The Yankees have a huge brand, huge tv deal, millions from merchandising, and a very wealthy family owning them. They have money to spend why not spend it?

Everyone has this idea that the Yankees have so much more money than everyone else. Its really not exactly like that. They put that money back into their team. Plenty of owners are richer than the steinbrenners or just as rich and choose not to spend on FA's.

Because it is bad for baseball. I know why they do it, and don't blame them because there is nothing in place to stop it.

The NFL is king, because of the fact that you have parity.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Because it is bad for baseball. I know why they do it, and don't blame them because there is nothing in place to stop it.

Have you ever heard that "You have to spend money to make money".

Well, that's true in baseball too... oh wait, no it isn't. Jim Crane says hi!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
The Arod situation will have a big effect on them keeping cano. If it drags on and it looks like it will means Arod at 3b and cano in texas on opening day.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I read the rest of the sentence buddy. 29 million is 29 million, thats a lot more than a slap on the wrist to even the richest teams in the league.
Teams and owners worth 1 billion+? 29 million is NOT that much money to most of the teams with decent fan bases and owners that aren't scared to put money on the field.
The Pujols deal changed the face of baseball for a while. If Pujols lit it up after his deal I bet Cano would already have a deal from someone.
I agree. All these huge deals are just awful for the teams. They work out for the first few seasons but are so horrible at the back end. Pujols, ARod, Hamilton, Fielder and more. Even if they perform well it's pretty difficult to be worth 300
Million dollars

It's bad for baseball? Players getting huge contracts typically hurt the teAm that signs them. I would argue that the no salary cap hurts big market teams just as much as small market teams. Look at Boston. They traded a ton of money out of boston and went way cheaper with middle of the road vets and went from worst to first. You don't need a ton of money to win.

The problem is these rich POS owners that make all this money and don't put anything back for the team to sign players.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I disagree, a bad signing cripples a small market team for years. Big market teams can just brush it off, and move onto the next big name free agent. The Red Sox were still fifth in payroll with over 140 million in 2013, which is down from their 174 million in 2012, but don't get too carried away with the traded away a ton of money and went way cheaper comments.

I completely agree with you on the POS owners who don't put anything back into their teams. That is much worst for baseball. I would hate to be a Marlins fan.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I disagree, a bad signing cripples a small market team for years. Big market teams can just brush it off, and move onto the next big name free agent. The Red Sox were still fifth in payroll with over 140 million in 2013, which is down from their 174 million in 2012, but don't get too carried away with the traded away a ton of money and went way cheaper comments.

I completely agree with you on the POS owners who don't put anything back into their teams. That is much worst for baseball. I would hate to be a Marlins fan.

+1

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012

True the Red Sox still had a high payroll. But your false in your thinking statement of "don't get too carried away with the traded away a ton of money and went way cheaper commitments." They traded Gonzo, Crawford, Beckett. They signed a bunch of mid level guys instead of just those big dogs. So they saved 34 million and were able to pick up Napoli, Victorino, Dempster among other signings. Thats a huge swing

I do agree that they cripple small market teams but look at the Yankees for example. Big market teams pay players to pay. Small market teams are typically better at developing talent.

Lets look at two examples. Rays and Yankees.

The Rays develop players (pitchers specifically) very well and then move them right before they become expensive for a large package and repeat the process. They use their money to lock up players that are franchise guys (Longoria) and fill the rest of the holes with prospects, rookies, and cheaper signings. They do this very well as do the A's.

The Yankees spend millions and millions in Free Agency but struggle immensely in developing prospects. They are able to buy other teams players once they hit FA but don't have back up plans from within.

There are very few teams that are able to do both (Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Texas all come to mind).

Thats just the way it will be in baseball. The Yankees choose to spend all that money and are forced to pay what MLB dubbed fair for going over the limit. Plenty of other teams have the ability to go over and pay the extra fee but they choose not to.

I understand why people complain but I believe it is a fair system.

Its not like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels and whoever else has the highest payrolls are always the only teams in the Playoffs and the only teams winning. IF that was the case then I would agree with you but I just don't think there is such a big issue with the payroll system.

Cheers!

Members online