Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most surprising things about this hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
came across a 2014 Topps Series 1 variations guide - with all the variations/SP's listed on the site, it's surprising you can no longer bust a box or two of flagship topps product without a bible of all the variations/SP's and not have those simple enough to memorize as you are going through the box contents.

Topps.... learn to K.I.S.S.!!!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I would say that the overwhelming sense of low morals as a whole in this hobby is the most surprising, but sadly it isn't surprising at all.

But I guess that could be said about anything.

I am really delighted when I see upstanding members of the card collecting community. And there are some great ones here.

But overall, I would say this hobby is over ran with scumbags.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I would say that the overwhelming sense of low morals as a whole in this hobby is the most surprising, but sadly it isn't surprising at all.

But I guess that could be said about anything.

I am really delighted when I see upstanding members of the card collecting community. And there are some great ones here.

But overall, I would say this hobby is over ran with scumbags.

The hobby is, without a doubt, rife with scumbags but I would not say it is overrun by them.

If you your only exposure to the hobby is what you read on the internet I can see how anyone would come to this conclusion. But out there at the card shows (yes, there are still many many card shows, big and small) you will see passion in the eyes of collectors who are trying to complete their sets or trying to get that one card of their favorite player that does not have the orange border with the red ink autograph.

There are many with high morals but this hobby is suffering from a case of the bad 1% making the remaining 99% look like crap. Everyday on these and other boards and at shows I see dealers giving away cards. Board members looking out for each other and buying cards on Ebay and holding it for a guy who didnt have the money to purchase it right away for their collection. People who go above and beyond and send so much extra in a deal just because they know the other guy is a serious collector and would appreciate a card, poster, autograph, whatever.

We cant let the few who value money over morals and the good of the hobby ruin it for the rest of us. Mario, I know where you are coming from and I can understand whre you are getting that viewpoint but I think you are wrong.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
came across a 2014 Topps Series 1 variations guide - with all the variations/SP's listed on the site, it's surprising you can no longer bust a box or two of flagship topps product without a bible of all the variations/SP's and not have those simple enough to memorize as you are going through the box contents.

Topps.... learn to K.I.S.S.!!!

Good point. While it can be fun going through cards to see if you have the variation, it is true you need 3 web pages up to make sure you don't miss anything.

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
I've got to agree with this. It boggles my mind that Topps is the only one legally producing cards. Think about all the great innovations of the 90's in regards to card collecting. Love 'em or hate 'em, autographed cards, game used cards, serial-numbered cards, variations and insert sets were all introduced by companies other than Topps. The only thing they contributed were refractors. Oh, well...it has been nice not having to buy a pack of cards since 2008...
Also two more but staying away from the consumer and more about the "hobby" in general...

(1) How there is only ONE company (Topps) with the license, etc. Collecting in the '90s was awesome and totally took it for granted.

(2) How often redemptions are used and accepted more or less. Just shock really. I'm so glad I am a player collector and not a general baseball card collector like I was back in the '90s because it would totally take the fun out of it.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I don't mind having a "decent" amount of variation sp cards in topps. I just don't like "stupid" hard to spot versions like sparkles and sabermetric backs.

And don't confuse collectors by announcing "out of bounds" photos are short prints...well, except for Josh Reddick.....And Joe blow....And also tom blow....And Tim blow even though they are also "out of bounds" photos.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
I think a variety of SPs and variations adds to a product. Worst thing that happens is that you miss one and someone gets a cool card in a commons box. Not any worse than the old days when it would be all just normal commons.

That said, Topps has beaten to death everything they've developed so far (rainbows, ref parallels, base card parallels, serial # parallels etc) so it wouldn't be surprising to see them expand SPs and variations to an unreasonable point.

I think where it is now is just right... lots of value added.

I have to admit, they are not doing as badly as I anticipated with the monopoly. Aside from the redemption fiascos, which seem to be incrementally improving, and the terrible CS we have learned to expect from them, I actually think they are releasing a decent variety of nice products.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The hobby is, without a doubt, rife with scumbags but I would not say it is overrun by them.

If you your only exposure to the hobby is what you read on the internet I can see how anyone would come to this conclusion. But out there at the card shows (yes, there are still many many card shows, big and small) you will see passion in the eyes of collectors who are trying to complete their sets or trying to get that one card of their favorite player that does not have the orange border with the red ink autograph.

There are many with high morals but this hobby is suffering from a case of the bad 1% making the remaining 99% look like crap. Everyday on these and other boards and at shows I see dealers giving away cards. Board members looking out for each other and buying cards on Ebay and holding it for a guy who didnt have the money to purchase it right away for their collection. People who go above and beyond and send so much extra in a deal just because they know the other guy is a serious collector and would appreciate a card, poster, autograph, whatever.

We cant let the few who value money over morals and the good of the hobby ruin it for the rest of us. Mario, I know where you are coming from and I can understand whre you are getting that viewpoint but I think you are wrong.

I'd actually challenge that it's more like 50-50 with regards to unscrupulous people in the hobby. Maybe 40-60. And I'm not just talking the internet. Maybe the term I'm looking for is GREEDY as opposed to unscrupulous but I consider them linked. Even at shops I've seen people get ripped. Not every shop mind you. But it was no different with comics when I collected them. I can't count on both hands and feet how many times I've seen a dealer or shop owner offer to buy something from someone for like 20% of it's value or less. Now some may call that SOP. But it's BS! I'll say I've seen more of it in regards to comics because I collected a lot more heavily and was involved so much more than I have time to do with sports cards now. But I've got friends who bust wax and if they pull something I'm interested in the first question they ask is "how much are you willing to pay?" as they are simultaneously looking up the item on ebay. I've at times actually had to win cards from them on ebay because I knew I could win it for way less than they wanted. But they and so many other people in this hobby are so damn worried about milking every single cent out of every single card that it drives me nuts! I usually don't say anything but I'm not cool with it. I just consider it a part of the business side of things. But my definition of business leads me to stay on my toes and just presume I'll never get a fair shake. At times, especially here on this board, I am surprised because a lot of people here are cool. They are helpful. But I do not consider this place, nor have I ever, to be an accurate predictor of the rest of the hobby. Not in knowledge and certainly not in regards to kindness.

Members online

Latest posts