Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps 5 star design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Ok Guys, I am going to go on a little Rant.
Bowman has it right, put out a reputable product every year, and don't deviate from the basics much at all. Yes, it comes out 3 times a year, but they never do any duplicate autos in each set. These Veteran cards, and products are really starting to get annoying. All these brands that try to target high end collectors are failing miserably. GQ,Triple Threads,Platinum,Prime Cuts,Finest are all watering down the value of autographs from Rookies to stars in the MLB. Also, stop with the XXXXing jersey cards, no one a piece of a jersey any more. They look hideous and they are virtually worth nothing now. Bowman is the one product that you can make money on by buying and flipping eventually, compared to this stuff where the value hardly shifts.

Not everyone wants prospect products and not everyone flips.

On this board, that sounds XXXXing stupid, but it's true. I wish prospects didn't have to be in every product. Make no mistake, I have Reds prospects in my Reds collection, but I definitely have more interest in the veterans and retired stars.

I have nothing against prospecting, but it's not the be-all-end-all. People have always wanted to make a buck when it comes to cards, but it definitely seems that real collectors are on the decline. More and more people are concerned with nothing more than "can I make money on this".

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I think they look fine. I really don't have any issues with the deign. I have HUGE issues with the price point.

I am sure there will be monster hits in there. But, no way I am taking that gamble.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Design is so vanilla it makes me want to puke for $500 a pack. Have some innovation if you are gonna charge a car payment per pack.

jtrinaldi

May 31, 2012
Not everyone wants prospect products and not everyone flips.

On this board, that sounds XXXXing stupid, but it's true. I wish prospects didn't have to be in every product. Make no mistake, I have Reds prospects in my Reds collection, but I definitely have more interest in the veterans and retired stars.

I have nothing against prospecting, but it's not the be-all-end-all. People have always wanted to make a buck when it comes to cards, but it definitely seems that real collectors are on the decline. More and more people are concerned with nothing more than "can I make money on this".
I have been out of cards for 5 years to focus on memorabilia, and have bought a few cards to flip and sell, never for myself.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
- Every Autograph is Signed Directly on Each Card!

Every Pack Delivers:
- 1 Autograph (Active Player)
- 1 Autograph (Retired Player)
- 1 Autographed Relic
- 1 Autographed Book or Autograph
- 1 Jumbo Jersey Relic, Patch, Bat Plate or Bat Knob

This is interesting to know then - people would be paying $100 for each card of a 5-card pack.

I don't know how many players are worth $100 here, but ...and to put it nicely... people who can afford to spend $500 for a pack of cards probably wouldn't care if they break even or not.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What are some of the top cards in the release? Not sure what to call them, the release hit or cards to chase, etc. Sorry, maybe I should just try and find a sell sheet or something. I just assume at $500 a pack, there has to be just some monster cards in this set.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
five star doesn't look high end at all..it looks almost identical to the 2010 n 2011 football counterpart..and the singles have dropped big time if i recall..

the obvious chase cards are the barrels, knobs and milb logo patches..

even if u pull a koufax or aaron or griffey autos, topps have flooded these guys autos so much that even when u pull one of those top auto guys, that would get at most above 50% or so of the box price..

at least with museum or ttt, below $200 per box, the hurt is less. lol.

topps need to somehow channel upper deck's exquisite and the cup line for high end "feel"...maybe borderless high gloss finish like upper deck uses for exq and cup..

ill def be watching youtube and andrew's break. and i know bobby's gonna do a case or so. lol

looks like there isnt a "case hit"?

dave

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
here are some thing i wish topps did on these so called "high end" products from topps:

rookie buyback auto - topps, buy like 10x 1954 Aaron rc cards in fair condition and have him auto it, and accompany it with a coa. same with koufax 1955 topps. mays 1951 bowman..

"rookie patch auto" to /99 and rainbow to their jersey number

dave

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For $500 a pack, the cards should be gold plated and include a voucher for a high-end massage parlor.

I can understand $500 for a guaranteed President's autograph or possibly a top flight deceased Hall of Famer, but there seems to be nothing special about these cards.
What makes them any different than a similar-numbered signed card from the same player in a $30 pack?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
For $500 a pack, the cards should be gold plated and include a voucher for a high-end massage parlor.

I can understand $500 for a guaranteed President's autograph or possibly a top flight deceased Hall of Famer, but there seems to be nothing special about these cards.
What makes them any different than a similar-numbered signed card from the same player in a $30 pack?

Excellent post.... At some level for $500 bucks, I would need to see some serious value in the cards, etc. AND I'm not even talking about flipping... if I'm shelling out $500 for a pack, I would expect a freaking awesome card that I could keep in my PC.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Ttt: die cut (sayings) gu

Sterling: die cut ("wing ding") gu

exquisite: overall look/feel

Tribute: encased refractor look

nat treas: ugly but unique look

Bow ster: again, overall look

5 star? if I covered the name of the product, no one would know as nothing is unique to it. And for 500, it better be.

Members online

Latest posts