Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scumbag move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I don't see how a professional player with more disposable income than most is getting catered too so hard, but each his own. I wish you all were so sympathetic when I need to pay a lot for a Clark item.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I don't see how a professional player with more disposable income than most is getting catered too so hard, but each his own. I wish you all were so sympathetic when I need to pay a lot for a Clark item.

Ryan
Its different because its only listed so high because he knows neshek collects his own cards.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia

He's not being "catered too" He is a professional athlete who has gone above and beyond being fan friendly for a very long time. He deserves respect.

No one is charging YOU more for Clark cards except other Clark collectors bidding as well. That's the difference. You're not special (no offense meant here, I am not special either) no one cares what you collect and no one is pricing their cards just to gouge YOU. (again no offense to you personally, all of us are all in the same boat)

This specific card is really only wanted by one person (or maybe a few Astros collectors) and the seller has intentionally priced it absurdly high because the assumption is Neshek being a professional athlete can/will just pay whatever price. That's the point. We are not trying to cater to a wealthy pro athlete, we are pointing out that this is price gouging and just a scummy way to make some money. At the expense of a pretty freaking nice guy.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's not price gouging if he has a best offer option. If I wasn't on this board I would have 0 clue Pat collected cards. A reseller who wants to profit should maximize, that isn't the same as holding hostage. If no offers come through, the price will dip and if PN wants it at a certain price her can either offer or wait. Regardless if it's multiple collectors or 1, the market sets the price. So the seller either gets a high price he wants, sits on it, or lowers the price over time unless he is ok keeping it. Simple.

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If I was the seller of the card, I would have emailed or tweeted Neshek first and asked if he would trade something cool for it. It would have been the classy thing to do, and making a trade with a Major Leaguer is a better memory than making a little money.

Although the seller is being a borderline jerk, he is just being a shrewd businessman, since he knows the exact market for that card: It's a millionaire.

And even though Neshek is refusing to buy it based on principle, his salary this season is a staggering $6.5 million.
Spending $337 on a one-of-a-kind card with that salarly is like the rest of us speding an extra ten cents for a donut.

I think Neshek should just swallow his pride and buy it.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
It's not price gouging if he has a best offer option. If I wasn't on this board I would have 0 clue Pat collected cards. A reseller who wants to profit should maximize, that isn't the same as holding hostage. If no offers come through, the price will dip and if PN wants it at a certain price her can either offer or wait. Regardless if it's multiple collectors or 1, the market sets the price. So the seller either gets a high price he wants, sits on it, or lowers the price over time unless he is ok keeping it. Simple.

if the market sets the price the seller should start it at .99 and let it roll. Simple.

Capitalism is the transfer of goods and services through an open market. I start my ebay listings as a low starting point and let them run. That's letting the market set it's price. Doesn't matter if a millionaire is looking for the card.

Using insider information to set a price or sell a good/service isn't what capitalism is. In most facets of economy this is illegal. The seller knows 1. Pat Neshek is a professional athlete and is presumably wealthy 2. Pat Neshek is an avid card collector and 3. Pat Neshek is a collector of his own cards. That's why the price was set so high. He's not allowing the market to set the price, he's setting the price using prior inside information.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
if the market sets the price the seller should start it at .99 and let it roll. Simple.

Capitalism is the transfer of goods and services through an open market. I start my ebay listings as a low starting point and let them run. That's letting the market set it's price. Doesn't matter if a millionaire is looking for the card.

Using insider information to set a price or sell a good/service isn't what capitalism is. In most facets of economy this is illegal. The seller knows 1. Pat Neshek is a professional athlete and is presumably wealthy 2. Pat Neshek is an avid card collector and 3. Pat Neshek is a collector of his own cards. That's why the price was set so high. He's not allowing the market to set the price, he's setting the price using prior inside information.
We will just have to differ. He has posted a price with a best offer option. The market WILL set the price in the end of what it actually is sold at. Anyone who say .99 starting auctions show the actual market price is just flat out wrong. It may be close at times, but large asking prices with Best Offer is 100% more accurate reflection.

Ryan

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Differ we shall.

Although one last point- The fact that there is a best offer means nothing. In my experience a Best offer option on an overpriced card never equates to the seller accepting a reasonable selling price.

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
There's a few chipper cards for sale waaaaay over the market price. I've offered several times on a few and the best offer is declined. This is when I call it holding hostage.

I know most of the other collectors and I have want lists from a couple of them. So I have a pretty good idea of what is in demand - recently helped a fellow collector fill 3 holes in his want list. Sold a couple 1/1s from 2000s and a 98 platinum medallion for a card & less than $400 total. If they were online they would be $400 per card.

I see both points on this. The neshek card is boring and ugly, which is why I only collect 90s Chippers. Too much crap. But when sellers know there's a collector, or 2, they think they have struck gold. I've been on both sides of this but rarely as the seller. I guess I'd have to side with the buyer on this, just because I'm having similar problems.

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Latest posts