Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If Tony or Kurt were here I'm sure they would say that Sterling's typically aren't stunning pieces. Unfortunately anything is possible good or bad due to lack of verification resources. My only question on the numbering 34/42 (which is his jersey size) and I am sure I could look, maybe one is pants and one is jersey? Just not sure the Pants would use that 34 marking. But a 34 Jersey, I am not sure that exists, it would be tiny.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I think some are probably genuine. However, his prices are high even for semi-stars. Definitely not proceed to move

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Yea, that was my thoughts as well. His prices are high on almost every piece. I need that Bucky Dent jumbo patch, but that's a $200 card at the very highest. He wants 2x that

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I had some concerns as well, though nothing to back them up.

Based on the mix of pieces and the fact that only a few raised any red flags I would venture to say that if some are not legit, the seller bought them that way... (not that it matters to a buyer much)

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I own a ton of high end patch cards and my first take is fake. I don't have a whole lot to back this up. I have never seen from that year a Sterling full tag piece like this one. My first reaction is usually right. Sadly so many Topps sterlings were easily faked and many owners will never admit that the faked ones they own aren't legit

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
First time in a really long time I've purchased anything that fit in this thread. I actually now own 3 of these.

I've noticed recently that the market for high end vintage game used patches seems to have softened quite a bit recently. A couple of 2001 Leaf Certified Ruth patches went in the $1800 range. I recall those getting $3K or more not terribly long ago. I only bought this because the price was considerably less than I paid for my other 2 (and I got 10% eBay bucks on top of it...) Has anyone else noticed the market softening? I know 1-2 big time collectors (really big time) who've left this market, but can't imagine that's the whole explanation. Obviously hoping it's cyclical, but I've definitely seen less hype and attention around vintage patch cards recently than I've seen in many years.

Attachments

• Robinson Reese 3 25.jpg
    Robinson Reese 3 25.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 15

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
First time in a really long time I've purchased anything that fit in this thread. I actually now own 3 of these.

I've noticed recently that the market for high end vintage game used patches seems to have softened quite a bit recently. A couple of 2001 Leaf Certified Ruth patches went in the $1800 range. I recall those getting $3K or more not terribly long ago. I only bought this because the price was considerably less than I paid for my other 2 (and I got 10% eBay bucks on top of it...) Has anyone else noticed the market softening? I know 1-2 big time collectors (really big time) who've left this market, but can't imagine that's the whole explanation. Obviously hoping it's cyclical, but I've definitely seen less hype and attention around vintage patch cards recently than I've seen in many years.

Great buy! It has been soft lately but with me thinking about transitioning to autos over patches, I'm not taking advantage.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Great buy! It has been soft lately but with me thinking about transitioning to autos over patches, I'm not taking advantage.

I've definitely moved in other directions as well (mostly out of cards towards memorabilia). I do hope it's just temporary, but the general feel I've gotten here on the boards is that there's just less buzz and interest in vintage patch cards. There's not a ton of nice items coming out these days, and it seems like most collectors want the newest sets.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I've definitely moved in other directions as well (mostly out of cards towards memorabilia). I do hope it's just temporary, but the general feel I've gotten here on the boards is that there's just less buzz and interest in vintage patch cards. There's not a ton of nice items coming out these days, and it seems like most collectors want the newest sets.

Yeah...it seems that with every new product the market gets softer.

Members online